The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Is Klos the only option?

Checking to see if I missed any other vendor that does carbon fiber guitars (for traveling/abuse purposes). I am more interested in a Tenor Ukulele.

Thanks.

Just found this place and another but the other was over 1k which IMHO is crazy.

https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/ukuleles is much more reasonable.

Last edited by fingerguy; 11-07-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM

I own the Blackbird Farallon, and have played the Outdoor Uke. There is no comparison in the tone quality - you really do get what you pay for. Farallon is tonally equal to our $1500 boutique-built hand made ukulele. Outdoor Uke is nice enough, but is quiet and seems rather heavily built. The only advantage I can see is the temperature/ humidity resistance combined with the low price. Otherwise it is just a run-of-the-mill $150 uke. You cannot get a top line Mercedes by paying entry level VW prices.

Nothing against the Outdoor Uke company. Given the price, I was going to order a tenor -- until I actually tried one last February, and was seriously underwhelmed. I'd much rather have a Kala Thinline travel uke instead, in terms of tone. And if it were destroyed, I would replace it with another.

You seem to have fallen into the misconception that composite instruments are "cheap plastic". The material costs involved are actually higher than for a good wood instrument, and the labor is often more involved. One mold for a carbon fiber instrument can cost $25K or more, versus a few jigs and plywood molds for a wood guitar.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I own the Blackbird Farallon, and have played the Outdoor Uke. There is no comparison in the tone quality - you really do get what you pay for. Farallon is tonally equal to our $1500 boutique-built hand made ukulele. Outdoor Uke is nice enough, but is quiet and seems rather heavily built. The only advantage I can see is the temperature/ humidity resistance combined with the low price. Otherwise it is just a run-of-the-mill $150 uke. You cannot get a top line Mercedes by paying entry level VW prices.

Nothing against the Outdoor Uke company. Given the price, I was going to order a tenor -- until I actually tried one last February, and was seriously underwhelmed. I'd much rather have a Kala Thinline travel uke instead, in terms of tone. And if it were destroyed, I would replace it with another.

You seem to have fallen into the misconception that composite instruments are "cheap plastic". The material costs involved are actually higher than for a good wood instrument, and the labor is often more involved. One mold for a carbon fiber instrument can cost $25K or more, versus a few jigs and plywood molds for a wood guitar.
Okay a couple of things, first I didn’t fall into any misconception. I am also a bicycle hobbyist which means I am very familiar with cost of matertial and especially when you get into carbon fiber.

Second, I know all about you get what you pay for. I have 2 Taylors, I have 2 Fender bass’s each costing 2k, so trust me I know all about you get what you pay for.

With that said the thought process was to get something that can take a beating. But as you mentioned the Kala they were on my list of considerations even before this whole Carbon Fiber idea. I was just thinking more about the abuse I can give it. The way they describe it I can shove it an overhead bin on a plane without a case and have everyone shove their crap on it and around it and it will still be fine. Not saying I would travel without a case but that is an example.

Now your day to day wood instrument is more delicate, not super delicate but delicate nonetheless. Which is why I was considering the carbon fiber option which quite honestly I refuse when it comes to bikes due to cost and when they break you can get them fixed but they are never quite the same nor nearly as strong as it once was which is why for bikes I go aluminum.

Also, as it stands now I am more serious about my bass and guitar playing than I am with my Ukulele which after Amazon points I paid only $47.00 out of pocket. Doesn’t sound too shabby and why I am working on technique, having fun with it, and working on a handful of songs in the end it’s just a toy to me at least right now it is. The one I have I could just go travel with for if it got dented, scratch hell even stolen wouldn’t bother me much if at all.

Now I also once owned a Kala UBass which was fun but in time the lack of length of the neck was becoming an issue with how and what I play not to mention my sausage fingers which is why I wouldn’t even consider a Soprano unless it was Isabell Soprano. Hey that was funny.

So in short this is a thought and again not going for the best of sound and quality just something that isn’t toy quality but even at worst beginner ukulele quality; I can live with that.

Last edited by fingerguy; 11-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Guest 928

Finger Guy;

Get the Outdoor Uke--for the money you get something to play with. And if it wipes out somewhere along the line--no loss. On the other hand, if you'd like a really good Uke, one that makes good music, the Blackbird is very hard to beat.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I own the Blackbird Farallon, and have played the Outdoor Uke. There is no comparison in the tone quality - you really do get what you pay for. Farallon is tonally equal to our $1500 boutique-built hand made ukulele. Outdoor Uke is nice enough, but is quiet and seems rather heavily built. .
I tend to agree with Earl, and it was my Outdoor Uke he played. I woudn't call it heavily built, but you need a heavyish hand to get good sound. The outdoor uke is good for what it is, which is a tough, travel/camping/kayaking uke. Not something I would use for a professional gig.

My wife want's a Farallon after having played Earl's.

As for the Klos, they just came out this year, and I've never played one. They have a wooden neck and some other wooden parts, which gives me some concern about differential thermal expansion coefficients.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM

I own a Farallon, and a Klos, and have played an Outdoor Uke during one afternoon jam.

For the price of ~ $150 the Outdoor Uke is an amazing instrument. And if I were actually backpacking or canoeing it would be my first choice. About the only criticism is that it isn't very loud.

The Klos will cost ~$420 to $500. The tone is quite good and the workmanship is excellent. Neck and fretwork are fantastic. It also isn't as loud as some ukes, but is louder than the Outdoor Uke. The back and sides are just about bullet proof, but of course the neck and fretboard are wood, so it won't be nearly as impervious to weather. The setup on a few of the early models wasn't the best, but they have reportedly improved in that area. I bought this after the Farallon, and if I'd bought it first, I probably wouldn't have gone looking for a Farallon.

Then there is the Farallon, which is just an amazing instrument. If you get it without electronics you can even use it as a paddle, but it sounds as good as a $1500 Koa uke (at least to some uke experts). BUT, it is 3X the cost of the Klos, and 10X the cost of the Outdoor Uke. So even though it would survive just about anything, I won't be taking mine on any canoe trips any time soon.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
.....So in short this is a thought and again not going for the best of sound and quality just something that isn’t toy quality but even at worst beginner ukulele quality; I can live with that.
As long as you are making an informed decision, if a particular tool meets your needs, then go for it. Better to have *any* ukulele than to have none at all on your trips. As I said, I had seriously considering buying one, until I actually tried it.

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way - that was certainly not my intent. "Tone of voice" is so hard to judge in a written forum post.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
As for the Klos, they just came out this year, and I've never played one. They have a wooden neck and some other wooden parts, which gives me some concern about differential thermal expansion coefficients.
I got to play a Klos ukulele briefly after last night's uke jam. Nicely built and good tone, but it seems weird to see the wooden fret board and bridge on a matte finished CF instrument. Another gal from our club says she has one on order for herself, with a 4-5 month delivery time. That will make two Farralon's, one Clara, two Klos and at least one Ovation in our little group. Resistance is futile.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber