The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-21-2021, 08:17 AM

Default Django

What was Djanjo`s guitar of choice?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:31 AM

Selmer, originally a "short scale" (roughly 25.5") D hole (Grand Bouche), later a long scale (roughly 26.5") O hole (Petit Bouche)

Strung with silver plated copper wound strings, like Savarez Argentines. Gauges are very light, usually .010s or .011s.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-21-2021, 12:05 PM

He also famously showed up places without a guitar, relying on some bystander to have one that he could borrow. Pictures of him with Epiphones, Gibsons, probably others. I don't think he paid for many guitars...
Old 10-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
He also famously showed up places without a guitar, relying on some bystander to have one that he could borrow. Pictures of him with Epiphones, Gibsons, probably others. I don't think he paid for many guitars...
Yep...that was his American tour...He had it in his head that he'd be greeted in NYC with the best makers handing him guitars desperate for him to be photographed playing it!

He hated American archtops, and I guess if you were used to the Selmer, you'd know why, they're night and day different playing and sounding.

Also an interesting aside, by all reports Django didn't even know how to tune his guitar--which is crazy, because he had an amazing ear. But I think he always relied on his brother to tune it for him. Interesting fella, Mr. Reinhardt was.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-22-2021, 04:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
What was Djanjo`s guitar of choice?
It was Selmer #503.

Here's #504, formally owned by Joscho Stephan:

I've never understood how to make music with them as they are tactilely & aurally very odd. The neck is a rounded 2 x 4 for all intents & purposes, but thankfully they made perfect sense to Django, et al.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-22-2021, 06:51 PM

While I've never played an original Selmer, only copies(and I own a lowly Eastman DM1), I do think they work really well for acoustic swing jazz, played with a flatpick. The percussive 'attack' punches right through the mix.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yep...that was his American tour...He had it in his head that he'd be greeted in NYC with the best makers handing him guitars desperate for him to be photographed playing it!...
Apparently he was - here's a few shots of him with American guitars:

A blonde Gretsch Synchro 400, exchanging licks with Harry Volpe (on an uber-rare prewar Synchro 400 with a Rancher-style triangular soundhole - reportedly the inspiration for Johnny Smith's 1-of-3-known Epiphone Emperor Concert, re-necxked by John D'Angelico in the 1950's):

A postwar ES-300, identity of sultry chanteuse unknown:

A script-logo L-5:

- and two Epiphones - the blonde Zephyr used in the El Rondo sessions of 1946 and this late-40's Deluxe Zephyr (of disputed provenance, but consistent with both his preference for blonde instruments and its similar stylistic cues to his Levin - note also the unusual-for-the-time compensation of the bridge saddle, which suggests the use of lighter-gauge strings and possibly a plain G):

Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
It was Selmer #503.

Here's #504, formally owned by Joscho Stephan:

I've never understood how to make music with them as they are tactilely & aurally very odd. The neck is a rounded 2 x 4 for all intents & purposes, but thankfully they made perfect sense to Django, et al.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Howard, WOW! what other world could Joscho Stephan have come from?

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops