The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Breedlove Pursuit Concert Electronics?

Looking at a used Breedlove Pursuit Concert with a spruce top online. I've watched videos of the guitar micced and it sounds to be about what I want. What I can't seem to find are many videos of the guitar through an amp or at worst recorded direct to get some idea of quackieness or general sound. It's got a Fishman iSYS+ in it which I assume means Sonicore UST(?).
Anyone have a Breedlove like this or similar that could comment on the sound of the electronics?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 PM

This guy's got one plugged in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgixn8JjD0A

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 07-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
This guy's got one plugged in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgixn8JjD0A
- It's got a cable connected, but also has a mic in front of the guitar and video doesn't mention which is used. I'm thinking it may be micced(?)
- This newer Breedlove uses an LR Baggs EAS PU rather than the Fishman iSYS which Breedlove had used back around 2015 or so.
- The guitar in the video has a Cedar top which may have a slightly different tone than Spruce, although if it was plugged in might give some idea of the PU's sound.

Thanks for looking............
Old 07-07-2019, 10:45 AM

You should be able to find one at GC with a return policy in case you don't like it.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
You should be able to find one at GC with a return policy in case you don't like it.
Was looking at one that was used/refurbed on sale at a decent price. Decided just to buy it as I couldn't find many bad reviews on Breedloves. Fishman electronics are usually pretty decent, so hopefully this one will sound OK plugged in.

Breedlove Pursuit Concert 25th Anniversary Spruce & Koa
"With Kim Breedlove’s love of Hawaii and Koa tonewood it is natural that we offered a limited 2015 edition concert with laminate Koa back and sides, a solid Engelmann Spruce top, and a Kim Breedlove inlay design."

These are pics of the actual guitar....

Old 07-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
Was looking at one that was used/refurbed on sale at a decent price. Decided just to buy it as I couldn't find many bad reviews on Breedloves. Fishman electronics are usually pretty decent, so hopefully this one will sound OK plugged in.

Breedlove Pursuit Concert 25th Anniversary Spruce & Koa
"With Kim Breedlove’s love of Hawaii and Koa tonewood it is natural that we offered a limited 2015 edition concert with laminate Koa back and sides, a solid Engelmann Spruce top, and a Kim Breedlove inlay design."

These are pics of the actual guitar....

Nice! Congratulations! Nice unique fretboard inlay on that one!
I just recently picked up a BL Solo Concert with the Baggs EAS VTC so unfortunately I can't help with your question, but I can tell you that I really like the acoustics of this guitar!

Keep us posted!

Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

I haven't played any new guitars, generally speaking, but the BL product I tend to play before any others. I had a Focus cedar/eir concert that I bought for its unplugged sound. The Baggs dual source mic/ust fitted to was not overly Piezo-hampered if the blend was heavy towards the mic side. But, all Piezo systems whether SBT or UST are going to offer some earache to a lesser or greater extent. Nice guitar.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:58 PM

Thumbs down Big NO to Breedlove low end guitars

Low end Breedloves are of low quality.. See my post on Breedlove.. V sensitive to humidity changes, brace problems.... Fishman electronics is really bad... LR Baggs is better on newer models..

Last edited by kavalakat; 07-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavalakat View Post
Low end Breedloves are of low quality.. See my post on Breedlove.. V sensitive to humidity changes, brace problems.... Fishman electronics is really bad... LR Baggs is better on newer models..
Strongly disagree. Low end BLs are some of the best buys out there. I had a Passport model (<$300) with the Fishman electronics for a travel guitar that had a great build and tone. Check out this video of their more recent Discovery model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVU...eE5bYA&index=2

Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavalakat View Post
Tim, In my researching my prospective purchase I ran across a few of your posts in Youtube and another forum trashing Breedlove and I pretty much dismissed what you were saying as there are simply too many others that praise the construction of the Breedlove guitars, both low and high end. I don't doubt you may have had some issues with the ones you had tried and it makes me wonder if the retailer may have been pushing 'B stock' instruments that had problems, but not making it evident in the sales. The image you had of the glued brace causes me to think that particular guitar had a buzz/vibration at that joint and someone in the supply chain (not Breedlove) may have had a 'guitar tech' tack it with what appears to me to be bead of hot glue to suppress a buzz. Are you purchasing through a reputable retailer?
As for Fishman, I do have a Takamine GS330S with an aftermarket Fishman Acoustic Natural Matrix which sounds very good. I just would liked to have heard the iSYS+ in a Pursuit prior to buying.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM

Looks great and hopefully sounds like you are hoping.

Enjoy and give a short review when you had a chance to put it through its moves.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion