The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM

Default Question on LR Baggs

I just ordered an Emerald X20
The default configuration comes with LR Baggs Element electronics.
For an extra $150 I can upgrade to the LR Baggs Anthem.

I've never heard either of those pick-ups live and don't know how much better the Anthem is than the Element.

I rarely play plugged in but its possible that could change someday and none of my other nice guitars have electronics.

My question is, can I get just as nice a tone with the Element if I'm going through the right effects and amp or is the one just better no matter what.

The X20 has a non-traditional sound hole, the curve of the controls for the Anthem does not match the curve of the sound hole so I'm also a littleworried that it will look weird (here's link to a close up pic from their site)

What do the experts think, is it a no-brainer to opt for the better system or is the difference minimal enough and subjective to not be worth if for a player who doesn't frequently plug in?

thx
ned
Old 11-16-2018, 03:48 PM

With a ToneDexter the Element can sound truly excellent, but that is a $400 MAP pedal and more stuff to carry around and you need a decent mic to train it. I gig with an Element and like it fine for the noisy venues I'm playing (though I'm toying with trying an Anthem SL). The Anthem is one of the better options for sounding excellent on its own and running 170 hours (Baggs Spec) off a single alkaline 9v battery (no Fishman Aura or Taylor ES-2 can do that). For sure someone is going to chime in about one of the various sound board transducers (K&K Mini, JJB Prestige, Dazzo, Trance, etc.) and depending on what you like to hear, they can sound quite good (or bad) with no signal processing, or there are endless options including ToneDexter to tweak their signal. Emerald will install a K&K as a factory option. The K&K is a passive pickup and you will likely need a preamp if for no other reason to have volume and tone controls handy by the guitar (and impedance matching if you want to plug directly into a mixer).

If you are sticking with the factory choices, the Anthem is a worthy upgrade and is one of my personal favorites. You don't need to be an expert in acoustic guitar signal processing to get a great tone out of it. It will plug directly into anything. You will have a volume control on the guitar. As long as it is not an Anthem SL, you can set it to turn off the internal microphone and use a ToneDexter too, should you get the urge someday.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-16-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:00 PM

The Anthem is awesome in my experience and use, and for $150, go for it! It is much better than the element alone.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Question on LR Baggs

+1 for the Anthem - really good pickup system with both mic and piezo blendable pickups. I installed an Anthem in my X20 and am very happy with it.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-17-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

I am sort of an LR Baggs Anthem fan boy and poster child for the Anthem. I own three guitars with Anthem PU's and have had two others and demo'd more. Every time, the Anthem sounds musical.

The biggest data point I can offer is I had Baggs Element VTC (vol/tone control) system removed from a Gibson J-45 and I replaced it with an Anthem. To me, the quality difference was night and day. The Anthem is vastly more musical, natural and authentic sounding. the Element was OK, but when I dig in it always sounded compressed and quacky like most under saddle Piezo Pu's do.

I strong recommend the Anthem. I've posted many video's here on the forum and on Youtube of my Anthem equipped guitars.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-17-2018, 02:48 AM

I have the element in two guitars and anthem in one. As has already been said the difference is night and day with the anthem being in a totally different league. For an extra 150, go with the anthem. The battery power indicator on the anthem is also a nice touch and extremely useful.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 11-17-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Anthem SL

+1 from me for the Anthem, and also a recommend for my fave (especially for the price!) the Anthem SL. I love the tiny screw-turn adjuster on it (beside the volume dial in the little soundhole mount). You can turn off the mic if you wish with a clockwise flick of the little wooden adjuster-driver they give you (which effectively gives you just the element), but you can also use it to search and find your guitar's sweet spot very effectively, even though it may take you a few trial tweaks. I've found what seems to be a great sweetspot this way on my Larrivee, and haven't had to move the dial since!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone
I’m going to go with the Anthem.
I appreciate all the responses

Now I’ve got to try to not think about this guitar before I end up upgrading something else. Please don’t tell me how great fan frets are :-)

ned

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification