The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-15-2018, 03:20 AM

Aaaannnnd said logo is sterling silver
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Hey byudzai,

I was hoping you could shed some light since I see you have experience with both the x20 and x30 and my Emerald itch is growing ever stronger again.

How would you compare the volume, projection & tone of the x30 compared to the x20. I would assume the x30 to have greater volume and projection but by how much? If you (for some reason) were forced to just keep one of these guitars which one would it be?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
If you (for some reason) were forced to just keep one of these guitars which one would it be?

The jury is still out. I think the X20 is more Martin-like, balanced toward the brighter and vibrant end of the spectrum. Clear and singing. I’m mostly a chunky strummer so the fat voice of the X30 is the winner for me. But I always lean toward murkier, more melancholy sound from any instrument.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The jury is still out. I think the X20 is more Martin-like, balanced toward the brighter and vibrant end of the spectrum. Clear and singing. I’m mostly a chunky strummer so the fat voice of the X30 is the winner for me. But I always lean toward murkier, more melancholy sound from any instrument.
Awesome man. Thanks for the feedback and I'm with ya I'm also more of a strummer/singer myself and was glad to have found a nice jumbo that's a complete joy to play. My x30 is coming to the grave with me!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Awesome man. Thanks for the feedback and I'm with ya I'm also more of a strummer/singer myself and was glad to have found a nice jumbo that's a complete joy to play. My x30 is coming to the grave with me!
The amount I agree with that sentiment is startling! How anyone could ever design a more perfect guitar escapes my imagination.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 AM

Thanks! Amazing review... awesome and gorgeous looking guitar! 🎸👍😉
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
The amount I agree with that sentiment is startling! How anyone could ever design a more perfect guitar escapes my imagination.
True . .cant be done .... wood guitars will never do it
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I was hoping you could shed some light since I see you have experience with both the x20 and x30 and my Emerald itch is growing ever stronger again.

How would you compare the volume, projection & tone of the x30 compared to the x20. I would assume the x30 to have greater volume and projection but by how much? If you (for some reason) were forced to just keep one of these guitars which one would it be?

So I put some polywebs on my 20. I have both guitars sitting here. I find myself reaching for the 20 more and more. The 30 has oomph, richness, presence, but the 20 is nimble, balanced, lively, a clearer singing voice for finger picking. I'm really warming up to it.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:51 PM

The 20 is usually my guitar of choice acoustically and does a great job plugged...mine has been set up by a tech and ahhh yesss...perfect...very balanced tone
Old 11-21-2018, 04:28 PM

That's all good info regarding the x30 vs x20. My Gibson is cringing in its case at the moment almost as if it can read my current thoughts of selling it next spring and using those funds for an x20. Sometimes I hate myself for asking questions but thanks for the answers nonetheless I appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
That's all good info regarding the x30 vs x20. My Gibson is cringing in its case at the moment almost as if it can read my current thoughts of selling it next spring and using those funds for an x20. Sometimes I hate myself for asking questions but thanks for the answers nonetheless I appreciate it.
Maybe this will help...Bye bye Gibson.... Hello X 20 !!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

It's REALLY a good thing that Kramster is here to help with problems like this. LOL Just sayin...
Old 11-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So I put some polywebs on my 20. I have both guitars sitting here. I find myself reaching for the 20 more and more. The 30 has oomph, richness, presence, but the 20 is nimble, balanced, lively, a clearer singing voice for finger picking. I'm really warming up to it.
Good to hear that you didn't move it on after "5 minutes" with it! I consider the X20 to be what the 814 is to the Taylor line: the flagship model for the brand. It just does everything so well.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 PM

Man this makes me want an X30! But for now I will have to just be thankful for my X20!!!

Those Veneers are just awesome though!
Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad to hear you're liking it. I mean, you ordered them both for a reason, right? I love my X20 and my year old X7. So different, but each so great. I tend to find the short scale and little body of the X7 wonderful for finger picking (which I'm still very new to) and the full size feel and sound of the X20 great for strumming and singing (such as the singing is, which arguably is something other than singing) and some flat picking. But I end up using both for anything at a given moment.

How is the comparison between the blue and woody X30 coming. Are they sounding more similar or are you still hearing a difference?

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber