The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I met Marty at what we call :"Idiot Jam" in Iowa a couple years ago and let him check out my Amicus I brought along..I got one of his custom string winder things that I gave to Alistair at NAMM the next year...anyway...

I followed all that stuff you did with your Cargos back in the day, was always interesting...same name for me too of course.

Yup! That's Marty (top photo) and he still looks exactly the same - never ages. He is also a very good guitar player. When The Podium was in business, I used to play some of my solo fingerstyle arrangements for him to critique. He always has good ideas for making it better.

I see you had one of his string winders too. He also makes case humidifiers, which I always use. I have one or two of his string winders, but never really got into using them. I still wind the strings by hand for some reason.

Yes, always the kramster! As I recall, you are quite the creative keyboard player too - even dropped an electronic keyboard into a baby grand cabinet.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Marty Reynolds was doing that kind of checking on the CA Guitars products received at The Podium back when they were carrying the original products. I recall him telling me that he sent quite a few back, so I assume that all I saw were the "good" ones, of which I have my 3 Cargos. I recall a number of times going downstairs to visit with Marty, and seeing Cargos on his bench that had just come in, so I know he was doing that checking before putting them out for sale.

By the way, I remember Raindance in that forum. My name was the same as I use here, and I was the guy experimenting with the K & K pickups. Marty installed them in my Cargos, and I did a lot of experimenting with modding pedals to get EQ'ing that worked with those because the Cargo had such a strong lower mid-range. I modded my K & K preamp (changed the contour and range of the tone controls), the EHX Knockout pedal (to remove hum), and a Boss GE-7 (quieter op amps and changing center frequencies of some of the graphic EQ controls). I still have all of those today and they still work well with my Cargos. It is unfortunate that I can't see well enough anymore to work on pedals like that - the components are too small.

If I recall correctly, Jonfields45 discovered that by removing one of the three elements of the K & K (I think the middle one), he got a great sound without all that EQ'ing. Maybe I should try that sometime.

Tony
Thanks, Tony! I remember you too and you always had great comments with good advice!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Y
Yes, always the kramster! As I recall, you are quite the creative keyboard player too - even dropped an electronic keyboard into a baby grand cabinet.

Tony
Got a decent set up now.. Casio PX360 with about an inch chopped off the right side so fits easy where the key bed was in the baby grand shell... USB midied to dedicated older MacBook Pro with all the pianos that Pianoteq offers... to a Focusrite 18i20 second generation to a A&H FX 10 to 2 MAudio B5 carbons as my monitors (Focal or Adams soon) and MAudio Sub also the record outs go to a Yamaha sub. Focusright also sends to a Center Point Space Staion V3 on its side and on an amp stand and tilted so it can do it's room filling stuff from under the piano and aimed at a possible someday audience, also have a cool clamped mic holder which can get the Audix M5 or 45 year old SM 58 mic in an easy to use adjustable spot ... Fun I tell you!
I can blend in the Casio sounds like the strings and what ever...or just by itself . Pianoteq has a couple presets that give me my left hand bass as does the Casio.
Also I can do a second instance of Pianoteq if I want which really adds over the top fullness , fun as well...sometimes all this is over whelming ... but I gotta die of something eventually...or something like that.

For gigs I use a Casio PX 560 and one of my guitars into the Bose T1 and then Bose Compact...sound great as I only do background instrumentals just to fill in the spaces of and event or party.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got a decent set up now.. Casio PX360 with about an inch chopped off the right side so fits easy where the key bed was in the baby grand shell... USB midied to dedicated older MacBook Pro with all the pianos that Pianoteq offers... to a Focusrite 18i20 second generation to a A&H FX 10 to 2 MAudio B5 carbons as my monitors (Focal or Adams soon) and MAudio Sub also the record outs go to a Yamaha sub. Focusright also sends to a Center Point Space Staion V3 on its side and on an amp stand and tilted so it can do it's room filling stuff from under the piano and aimed at a possible someday audience, also have a cool clamped mic holder which can get the Audix M5 or 45 year old SM 58 mic in an easy to use adjustable spot ... Fun I tell you!
I can blend in the Casio sounds like the strings and what ever...or just by itself . Pianoteq has a couple presets that give me my left hand bass as does the Casio.
Also I can do a second instance of Pianoteq if I want which really adds over the top fullness , fun as well...sometimes all this is over whelming ... but I gotta die of something eventually...or something like that.

For gigs I use a Casio PX 560 and one of my guitars into the Bose T1 and then Bose Compact...sound great as I only do background instrumentals just to fill in the spaces of and event or party.
Hard to even keep track of all that just reading about it! I would guess that YOU were the cause of the UFO sightings over Ireland with all that gear.

Mine is simple - Roland V-Grand. Done.

http://eg.roland.com/products/v-piano_grand/

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Mine is simple - Roland V-Grand. Done.

http://eg.roland.com/products/v-piano_grand/

Tony

Simple is good
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Simple is good
That is why I like the Cargo so much. It is always there and it is simple as can be.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 PM

The Cargo is simple, and so darn easy to travel on a plane with. Now I just need to get me one of those pianos that Kramster has...and the cool program for saving songs he writes, way cool...oh that's right, Kramster is cool!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Kramster is cool!
Well you are correct... I mean uhhhh ...awww gee wilikers ... lil ole me??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber