The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Thanks. I’m not sure this couldn’t sound better to you with some EQ and/or a full-range PA, but your ear likes what it likes.
I actually did go listen to a bunch of your live YouTube videos. I quite like your variety of covers. As for the Amulet, it does sound very nice in your guitar. I hear a super transparent tone that's even more natural than the Amulet. I still scratch my head with why mine was so thin, bright and piezo sounding. I tried Doug's approach of leaving the E string on, placing the transducer under the bridge plate and moving it around to find the sweet spot. I found this difficult to do though.

One thing I want to try is installing the Amulet with the Schatten putty. I am thinking that a super thin layer could allow me to find the sweet spot. The tape is fairly permanent for that install because if you pull it off to reposition, it's ruined. When you press down on the Schatten putty it gets extremely thin as well so it could even be a potential install option.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I actually did go listen to a bunch of your live YouTube videos. I quite like your variety of covers. As for the Amulet, it does sound very nice in your guitar. I hear a super transparent tone that's even more natural than the Amulet. I still scratch my head with why mine was so thin, bright and piezo sounding. I tried Doug's approach of leaving the E string on, placing the transducer under the bridge plate and moving it around to find the sweet spot. I found this difficult to do though.

One thing I want to try is installing the Amulet with the Schatten putty. I am thinking that a super thin layer could allow me to find the sweet spot. The tape is fairly permanent for that install because if you pull it off to reposition, it's ruined. When you press down on the Schatten putty it gets extremely thin as well so it could even be a potential install option.
Thanks for the kind words. Your ideas sound interesting.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-16-2018, 12:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Yeah, I'd be interested in that too. Please keep us in the loop.

sm
Old 11-14-2018, 10:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Lovin' these pickups more and more.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Nice to see a discussion about the Trance Amulet M. I had one professionally installed in my 1971 Gurian SL3 10 years ago. It was exceptionally good at keeping the Gurian sound when plugged in, no quack, or other “non-guitar” sounds, and I rarely had to EQ. Absolutely wonderful pickup. It does need to be installed correctly so having it done professionally was worth it to me. Enjoy - it let’s you guitar sound like your guitar!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 PM

I will probably experiment with placement some more to see if I can finally get this to sound the way I want it to. The downside is the tape, which I can see myself running out of.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will probably experiment with placement some more to see if I can finally get this to sound the way I want it to. The downside is the tape, which I can see myself running out of.
Call Gary at Trance, I imagine he would send you more.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Call Gary at Trance, I imagine he would send you more.
+1 I've gotten replacement tape from Gary for no charge.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Doug. They seem to be pretty cool folks over there.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification