The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Studio monitors

I’m a beginner and my instructor thinks I may benefit from playing songs to backtracks on my MAC computer. I tried this a little and the volume and sound quality of the computer are lacking.
Is it possible to add powered studio monitors to this computer? How do you do this, are they wired or wireless? If wired what kind of connectors do I use?
Are there suggestions for some studio monitors that may be reasonably priced.
My instructor had a pair of Mackies he uses and I thought they sounded great for the size.
As you can probably tell I have not much of an idea how to do this so the more detailed the advice the better.
Thanks for your time and expertise.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM

There are dozens of studio monitors which sound better than any computer speakers. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how big they need to be. For small, acoustically untreated rooms, I'd recommend speakers with up to 5-inch woofers. Bigger ones might sound too boomy.
I recently bought IK Multimedia iLoud Micro monitors, very small but great sounding for the price speakers. They connect to a computer via 1/8 stereo jack or via bluetooth.
The iLouds received many positive reviews. And don't get misled by their small size, they are very loud.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 PM

I'm going to disagree and suggest you don't buy monitors. From what it sounds like you are trying to do, you just need something louder to play along with. Those iLoud's may be great but they're also $300.

Personally, I would just get a Bluetooth speaker. They can be had for $30 bucks, be plenty loud to play along with and can connect with either a 1/8" jack or Bluetooth. Plus you can move it around to use it for other things.

Down the road, if you want to get into recording and need a good set of studio monitors, then you'll have a better idea of what your budget and needs really are.

For what it's worth, this is the Bluetooth speaker I play along with when practicing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073BVWRSP

But these are my studio monitors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015U623MQ

Last edited by RedJoker; 09-19-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: links added
Old 09-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Bluetooth speakers have lots of potential uses, so it's nice to have one around. For simple playing along with tracks, it is sufficient (unlike tracking, mixing and mastering).

You could even set up a headphone system and do without speakers (for this use) altogether.

If you do find you want something more, the iLouds are pretty amazing. The engineer we used on our last project LOVES them as a secondary monitor and as a primary monitor when writing and arranging. My wife ended up getting a pair and they are ALL the monitor she will ever need.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 AM

For just playing along with music (not mixing/recording music), you can find a pair of powered speakers for under $100 - there are many choices by Mackie, Alesis, setc: https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Act...itors/low2high

You can probably find a used set somewhere for half the money. Your computer should have an external 1/8" stereo jack, the speakers will come with a cable to plug into the computer, then another one that runs from one speaker to the other (powered speakers in this price range tend to have an amp in one speaker, and the other one is passive).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

The iLouds sound so good though. They do run on sale quite often. I use my pair a lot.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm going to disagree and suggest you don't buy monitors. From what it sounds like you are trying to do, you just need something louder to play along with. Those iLoud's may be great but they're also $300.

Personally, I would just get a Bluetooth speaker. They can be had for $30 bucks, be plenty loud to play along with and can connect with either a 1/8" jack or Bluetooth. Plus you can move it around to use it for other things.

Down the road, if you want to get into recording and need a good set of studio monitors, then you'll have a better idea of what your budget and needs really are.

For what it's worth, this is the Bluetooth speaker I play along with when practicing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073BVWRSP

But these are my studio monitors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015U623MQ
I strongly second the auxillary speaker suggestion. I use a Creative D80 all the time for a wide variety of uses. It has great sound, plenty of bottom end and is loud and clear for its size. Very reasonably priced, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-D80-...s=creative+d80
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Just bought a pair of Adam A3X and looking at them right now as I am on my way home on the subway. Much preferred them when I compared with similarly priced Yamaha and KRK ROKIT
Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 AM

Short update - these A3X are really great! I also appreciate the small footprint. Going through a couple of remixes I can hear so many more nuances than with my studio headphones
Old 11-21-2018, 08:18 PM

I Always go with Alesis as Quality counts,Look for a pair of Monitor One MK2. You`ll be Happy with them!. Mine are 20 years old and still cooking!. Never heard anything better!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD