The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Default McPherson Sable vs Composite Acoustics GXi

For anyone eyeing the McPherson Sable after some of the great reviews it has received here, I just wanted to mention that the Composite Acoustics GX and GXi models are also worth considering, and they usually pop up significantly cheaper on the used market than the Sable.

Ellis Seal designed the Composite Acoustics guitars and then helped McPherson with the Kevin Michael and Sable models, and he did a phenomenal job with coming close to traditional woody tone in a carbon fiber body. You'll notice that the GX/GXi/Sable clearly sound related when you play them, despite them being from separate companies.

I purchased a McPherson Sable several months ago with hopeful anticipation that it would be the pinnacle of carbon fiber guitars and potentially depose my GXi from its long-held prized position, as I heard great reviews about the Sable and knew I appreciate Ellis Seal’s taste in tone from my experience with Composite Acoustics. While the Sable is a very nice guitar and my ears would choose it over many other competitors, I found that I still prefer my GXi over it. The GXi has a slightly larger/deeper body than the Sable, which I believe may contribute to the deeper and more robust voice, yet the contoured back of the GXi makes it more comfortable to play than the Sable as well. I have since sold the Sable and my GXi isn’t going anywhere. I look forward to seeing if McPherson puts out a larger Sable model in the future, and recommend giving the GX and GXi a look as well if the Sable is on your interest list.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:42 PM

I haven't seen Ellis in a few years ... since the McPherson NAMM booth...wonder what he is up to?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Good post, really good info !
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I haven't seen Ellis in a few years ... since the McPherson NAMM booth...wonder what he is up to?
As an owner of a pre-Peavey Cargo, and having owned a pre-Peavey tobacco burst GXi, I agree with the OP about Ellis’ vision and tonal achievements. I’d like to to see him start a brand under his own name.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM

Ellis giving lesson ...or something like that

Ellis and Asvin having a laugh...I think at me...sigh... either way CF guitars make you happy.

A couple famous CF guitar designers..

Always darn happy!

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

Carbonfiberfan;

Very nice, thank you. One of the things I've really enjoyed about this forum is it transparency. There's a lot of experimentation going on and a lot of options to consider. Comparing those options is no easy task since Cf guitars seem marked by a uniform excellence. Deciding between those options is tough.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:48 PM

I have a post peavey gxi. only compared it to a rainsong in the store at the time. good to have validation I made a good choice. tx for the post.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

For a while, I owned the gxi, the model with the Fishman Aura system on board. It was a very well made instrument and while it sounded great unplugged, it really shined when going into my acoustic amp or recording direct. the aura system with a carbon fiber guitar is just fantastic and I wonder why rainsong and Emerald don't use it... In any case, I found the neck a little too wide especially higher up so ended up selling it. It was a shame because the contours were right and the tone was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Has Peavey stopped making the GXi? It's not on their website as near as I can tell.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Has Peavey stopped making the GXi? It's not on their website as near as I can tell.
They did not have any at NAMM this year
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 AM

Peavey did discontinue the GXi, unfortunately....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber