The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Buzzing caused by several high frets...now what?

Ok so I took my newly bough (used) guitar (214ce dlx) in for a setup and the luthier couldn't get rid a some buzzing. He put it on the Plek machine and we found that it has 4,5 high frets. Apparently the previous owner didn't use any humidity control and only kept it in it's case. The Plek machine can perfectly file them down for me but its quite pricey...$225. Was wondering if I had any cheaper options?

Could I bring it to a different luthier than does the manual leveling/crowning and what does that average in cost?

Can I attempt to file the offending frets myself? I am going to get a fret rocker (or something else that will work) and check up and down the neck myself and see how many high frets I find and where exactly they are.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by JackB1; 04-19-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM

It is a "Plec" machine (very expensive BTW). Prices on manual fret leveling will vary, I think I'm on the low side at $75. If you have the tools and knowledge it is not a hard job just take a little elbow grease. To get them as level as possible you have to level them to the lowest fret and then crown them. If you have five or more I wouldn't waste my time trying to do them individually you will in all likelihood chase them up and down the FB trying to get them right.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
It is a "Plec" machine (very expensive BTW). Prices on manual fret leveling will vary, I think I'm on the low side at $75. If you have the tools and knowledge it is not a hard job just take a little elbow grease. To get them as level as possible you have to level them to the lowest fret and then crown them. If you have five or more I wouldn't waste my time trying to do them individually you will in all likelihood chase them up and down the FB trying to get them right.
Right...Plek machine (fixed)

Yes they are very expensive, but it eliminates all guesswork and your guitar should come out perfect, maybe even better than new. I am lucky to have a shop in Atlanta that has one. There are few of them around the country.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

There are multiple things to check with fret buzzes - don’t just start filing on things! Frank Ford has written some excellent information about frets, but I dont think we’re allowed to reference the site directly. Google can help -
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
There are multiple things to check with fret buzzes - don’t just start filing on things! Frank Ford has written some excellent information about frets, but I dont think we’re allowed to reference the site directly. Google can help -
The Plek machine scans the neck and shows you in certainty that you have some high frets.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That is an excellent point. Advice was given on the assumption (oh boy) that the diagnosis was correct in that the buzzing was caused by high frets.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 PM

you can get an entire fretjob with new frets cheaper than a plek job. Millions of good guitars were built before the plek machine was invented. You should be able to get the frets leveled and dressed for around $100
Old 04-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Plek machine scans the neck and shows you in certainty that you have some high frets.
But why are they high? Sometimes they need to be pushed down and held with a drop or two of cyanoacrylate. Sometimes they are high because the fretboard has issues, or the neck join. The plek takes measurements, it does not determine cause, or does it intelligently determine the most reasonable action to solve the problem -

If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail -
Old 04-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
you can get an entire fretjob with new frets cheaper than a plek job. Millions of good guitars were built before the plek machine was invented. You should be able to get the frets leveled and dressed for around $100
I called around....prices were 140, 160, 140
Old 04-19-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
But why are they high? Sometimes they need to be pushed down and held with a drop or two of cyanoacrylate. Sometimes they are high because the fretboard has issues, or the neck join. The plek takes measurements, it does not determine cause, or does it intelligently determine the most reasonable action to solve the problem -

If your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail -
The previous owner did not properly humidify his guitar. I am assuming that is the cause. Also, they could have been like this from day one. Some new guitars have high frets right off the bat.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I called around....prices were 140, 160, 140
for new frets or just dressing them?

"The previous owner did not properly humidify his guitar. I am assuming that is the cause. Also, they could have been like this from day one. Some new guitars have high frets right off the bat."

try to slide a piece of paper under them, if you can, they are loose, if not, they were improperly crowned, 2 problems with 2 different solutions.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeightonBankes View Post
for new frets or just dressing them?

"The previous owner did not properly humidify his guitar. I am assuming that is the cause. Also, they could have been like this from day one. Some new guitars have high frets right off the bat."

try to slide a piece of paper under them, if you can, they are loose, if not, they were improperly crowned, 2 problems with 2 different solutions.
Prices were for fret leveling/crowning

When you say slide a piece of paper under....where exactly?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Prices were for fret leveling/crowning

When you say slide a piece of paper under....where exactly?
the frets that are high, try to push the corner of a piece of paper under them, al the way across each one, if you can, they aren't seated or have come loose. If they were loose you'd be able to see it if you looked closely where the fret meets the board. pic related
Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 AM

Plek is but a tool, the same results can be achieved by any good luthier at usually a third of the price.

The people that have plek machines are trying to recoup their purchase price, which is around 110,000 usd, a lot of money to spend on something that primarily just levels frets, most luthiers learn to level frets in their first week of business or their apprenticeship.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Plek is but a tool, the same results can be achieved by any good luthier at usually a third of the price.

The people that have plek machines are trying to recoup their purchase price, which is around 110,000 usd, a lot of money to spend on something that primarily just levels frets, most luthiers learn to level frets in their first week of business or their apprenticeship.

Steve
Well the price is pretty much the same now since I already paid for a setup, they are deducting that price from the Plek treatment price, so it's $145. I called 4 places and the prices for leveling/crowning were $140, $160, $130, $140.

At this point I am debating fixing this used guitar or just getting a new one that I know doesn't have any possible hidden underlying issues. I checked myself last night up and down the fretboard with a fret rocker and did find 4 high frets. None were that pronounced, but there was some rock in there.
Wondering if a luthier could just spot file/dress those 4 frets for me and not charge too much? Or how hard is it to do myself? What tools do I need?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair