The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Wink

I bought a pair of AKG P-170 condensers (about $100 each) to go with my Zoom, with great results. 4 channels to mix down to 2. Very full sound.
Steve
Old 04-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
I'm also interested in upgrading my h5 mics to external.
Just want to buy the best one I can afford and buy the second one when upgrading again.
But I need it to do well in live settings also.
My main candidate is the shure sm81.
Not sure if there are better alternatives around this price range, or if I should save up more.
As I transitioned to external mics, I went for the Shure KSM137's. Not sure I could tell you the differences between those and the sm81, but they are another option in the Shure line. Several here on AGF had success with the 137's and that's what led me to them. I think "Ukejohn" here on AGF was one of those folks. I also work via a Rane mic pre-amp and have some acoustic panel (3)treatment in my set-up.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 PM

Well, I wound up getting a pair of CAD E70s for a great price. Not of the same caliber as the others we were discussing, but they came with both cardioid and omni caps so it seemed like a good learning set for me. I haven't had time to do too much with them yet, but right away can see it opens a whole other dimension of placement options. I've been surprised by how much I actually like the omnis in the little recording I've done so far...they sound much more "open" and natural to my ear. I just have them on one of those small shared platforms that mount on a single stand, but found they sounded pretty cool pointing "out," like opposite of an x/y arrangement with the omni capsules. I ordered a couple of inexpensive boom stands to do some more playing around. Seems like it's very trial and error, with a lot of fun learning ahead of me!

I'm also curious to try using the internal zoom mics as an x/y around the 12th, and then the E70s set back a bit and wider. Any thoughts on whether that would be advantageous in any way?
2014 Martin CEO-7 (#50)
1951 Martin 00-17 (in the family since new!), 1900ish Washburn Parlor (Braz and Adi)
Seagull Coastline Folk
Gretsch Honey Dipper
Taylor BT2 that I drag along on countless business trips and for some inexplicable reason have spent a small fortune pimping out
Old 05-02-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDyer View Post

I'm also curious to try using the internal zoom mics as an x/y around the 12th, and then the E70s set back a bit and wider. Any thoughts on whether that would be advantageous in any way?
Because it depends on your playing style, what you're hoping the recording to sound like, and the sound of your room, prescriptions really aren't possible, in my experience.

You just have to experiment and compare your recordings to recordings you are trying to emulate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD