The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 AM

I know how you feel. Without fail, every time I'm about to try out a guitar at a shop I hear another dude across the room just killing it and it makes me embarrassed to even play. But I just forge ahead anyway, usually red-faced. We all have to start somewhere. And as others have said, it's doubtful that you or I are the worst they've ever heard. I highly doubt they'd sit around making fun of you after you left. And if they would then they're not the type of people I'd worry too much about impressing anyway.

I do think some people just have shyness ingrained in their personality though. I'm the same way. Even if I could play like David Gilmour I think I'd probably still be terrified to play in front of a bar full of people.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
I know how you feel. Without fail, every time I'm about to try out a guitar at a shop I hear another dude across the room just killing it and it makes me embarrassed to even play. But I just forge ahead anyway, usually red-faced. We all have to start somewhere. And as others have said, it's doubtful that you or I are the worst they've ever heard. I highly doubt they'd sit around making fun of you after you left. And if they would then they're not the type of people I'd worry too much about impressing anyway.

I do think some people just have shyness ingrained in their personality though. I'm the same way. Even if I could play like David Gilmour I think I'd probably still be terrified to play in front of a bar full of people.

I hear ya'. That's why I really respect those who do it.

If I have learned anything in the past 52 years it is that we are all different. What is easy for some will not be for all. I would love to be able to go into a guitar shop and play like I do on the couch. Not that I am good by any means, but I know I can play better than I do when there is someone listening.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM

I've been learning to play for almost a year now and I completely understand how you feel.

I felt that way when I walked into a guitar store almost a year ago and still feel that way when I walk into a guitar store. I don't visit guitar stores often, but when I do, I do tend to walk out feeling a little down--like I still have a loooooong way to go as a guitar player.

Places like GC can be a little intimidating, but the feeling is certainly amplified when I walk into smaller high end stores and ask to try out expensive guitars. In fact, I even announce that I am just a beginner before I play anything, which seems to break the ice for me at least.

Regardless, your dollar is worth the same as the guitar virtuoso sharing the room with you and any sales person worth her or his salt should treat you well, regardless of your skills. Plus, once you become absorbed in examining a guitar's tone and feel, you won't be as concerned with the other people in the room. Things get better after the first 5-10 minutes you start playing (or 30 minutes in my cases, LOL).

Try not to worry so much about what other people are doing/thinking and when you leave, reflect on how much you have improved when you visited the guitar store 2 months ago, 6 months ago, a year ago, etc.

Good luck and play as many guitars as you can!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM

If you're speaking of Wildwood Music in Coshocton, OH, Marty and Don are great. I know they'd give you the space you need if you asked them.

The problem you describe is very common. I played out today at a nursing home, and kept thinking and trying to imagine myself at home. Though I didn't play as I hoped, and my voice wasn't as I hoped it would be...free like at home, I'm convinced that the more I expose myself to this, the better it will get. The only way to overcome it is through it. While it's very uncomfortable, I do believe it will get better.

Hang in there and keep on moving forward.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumognat View Post
I've been learning to play for almost a year now and I completely understand how you feel.

I felt that way when I walked into a guitar store almost a year ago and still feel that way when I walk into a guitar store. I don't visit guitar stores often, but when I do, I do tend to walk out feeling a little down--like I still have a loooooong way to go as a guitar player.

Places like GC can be a little intimidating, but the feeling is certainly amplified when I walk into smaller high end stores and ask to try out expensive guitars. In fact, I even announce that I am just a beginner before I play anything, which seems to break the ice for me at least.

Regardless, your dollar is worth the same as the guitar virtuoso sharing the room with you and any sales person worth her or his salt should treat you well, regardless of your skills. Plus, once you become absorbed in examining a guitar's tone and feel, you won't be as concerned with the other people in the room. Things get better after the first 5-10 minutes you start playing (or 30 minutes in my cases, LOL).

Try not to worry so much about what other people are doing/thinking and when you leave, reflect on how much you have improved when you visited the guitar store 2 months ago, 6 months ago, a year ago, etc.

Good luck and play as many guitars as you can!
Welcome to the Next Boomer Thing! I'm 10 months and 4 days into it, myself.

The bolding, above, is mine. That's what I do.

When I started my search, I could barely touch a guitar. Embarrassed by my age, total lack of ability and overabundance of rust, I'd flick a string or two, then walk out. But one small store had an owner-proprietor about my age (55 back then), give or take. He asked me if I was looking for a guitar for myself.

I screwed up a scrap of courage, and told him I hadn't touched a guitar in 40-mumble years but, yes, I was looking for a nylon-string for me. I tried a couple. They were ... OK. Then he pointed me to the best sound in the house. Best price, too. (I think he did me a BIG favor.) It came home that day. It won't be going anywhere without me.

(BTW: If you can ever hit Guitar Center on a slow day ... it's a blast!)
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
If you're speaking of Wildwood Music in Coshocton, OH, Marty and Don are great. I know they'd give you the space you need if you asked them.

The problem you describe is very common. I played out today at a nursing home, and kept thinking and trying to imagine myself at home. Though I didn't play as I hoped, and my voice wasn't as I hoped it would be...free like at home, I'm convinced that the more I expose myself to this, the better it will get. The only way to overcome it is through it. While it's very uncomfortable, I do believe it will get better.

Hang in there and keep on moving forward.

That's the Wildwood Music I am speaking of. I have heard nothing but good things about Marty and Don. It's about a 90 minute drive and I plan on making the trip in the very near future. I just hope I can screw up enough courage to give the guitars a good try-out.

Playing at a nursing home would be so cool. The thought of PLAYING in front of people is terrifying enough for me, I can't imagine trying to SING! I'm sure it will get easier the more you do it. Good luck with that.

Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write