The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Audio Technical at m50x headphones

I’ve been wanting a decent studio headphone and after listening to, reading reviews of several mfgs and models I decided that the At m50x was the one I wanted. Being me, the search for the bargain price began and I was able to order a set tonight for $80. from a place I’ve never heard of called Breakingxstore.com
Has anyone ever heard of or have experience with this place?I looked it up and they say they are based in LA and been in business since 2015 as an online retailer. I’m always leery of on line retailers I’m not familiar with so I’m hoping my lust for the bargain in isn’t going to end with something worse.
If you have any insight with this company I’d be appreciative of your sharing it wit me .
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't look good...
https://www.reddit.com/r/BuildAPCSal...gxstore_legit/
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Thank you Jim for posting that for me. I had an uneasy feeling about this and have taken steps to have my credit card company deny the charges. Thanks to my wife’s diligence she has us use credit cards not debit cards for online purchases from unknown sites like this. Just a caution to others you can get your money back through a credit card company but not on a debit card. Thanks again Jim.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM

As far as the headphones, I've had a pair of ATH M50's for a couple years and am very happy with them.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Musical minimalist

The M-50's are really nice, but I'd consider spending a little more money and getting a LOT more phone.

I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop. They have many offerings for good studio phones like these:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...SDSBXYYKGWWUZB

They are a very reputable company and I received great service from them.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop.
I bought those as well. They're excellent
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Rumor has it as the HD6XX basically the HD 650 that is being marketed thru Massdrop at a significant discount . I have HD 600 and they are indeed excellent mixing HP's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Rumor has it as the HD6XX basically the HD 650 that is being marketed thru Massdrop at a significant discount . I have HD 600 and they are indeed excellent mixing HP's
That is the truth - and I was amazed when I used them to record my last tune. I gave them a good 100 hours of burn in time with well recorded music and they completely morphed into a superb set of cans!

The link I sent to the AKG's - I think right now if you buy them, you get a 40.00 credit when you put them in your cart on Massdrop - that's a HECKUVA deal....

Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I also have the HD 600s. They are very good indeed.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM

OP didn't set a budget...
If he wants to expend 80 bucks, the hd 6xx are way off, as he will need at least an amp to drive them adding another 100 bucks.
Also... As they are open back HP, does he have a quiet place with good acoustics to use them?
I wanted a nice open back, but the need for an amp and loads of external noise, like dogs barking, made go with the rebranded takstar pro 82 aka cooler master mh751. I was going with the m40x that some prefer over the m50x, but these are way more comfortable, audio is slightly better on the ATs though (more detail/tighter bass)
Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
OP didn't set a budget...
If he wants to expend 80 bucks, the hd 6xx are way off, as he will need at least an amp to drive them adding another 100 bucks.
Also... As they are open back HP, does he have a quiet place with good acoustics to use them?
I wanted a nice open back, but the need for an amp and loads of external noise, like dogs barking, made go with the rebranded takstar pro 82 aka cooler master mh751. I was going with the m40x that some prefer over the m50x, but these are way more comfortable, audio is slightly better on the ATs though (more detail/tighter bass)
I’m not dead set on the AT m50x phones but that’s about the price range I’m looking in. I want to listen to recordings and record with them so I’m thinking closed back is what I need. Maybe some expert opinions are needed because I have zero experience doing this. I purchased a Stienburg ur22mkII and a pair of JBL 305P studio monitors and am currently using that to play acoustic guitar to backtracks. I thought I’d like to try some recording and mixing. I be got a cheap microphone that I’ll upgrade at some point but thought the phones would be my next purchase.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’m not dead set on the AT m50x phones but that’s about the price range I’m looking in. I want to listen to recordings and record with them so I’m thinking closed back is what I need. Maybe some expert opinions are needed because I have zero experience doing this. I purchased a Stienburg ur22mkII and a pair of JBL 305P studio monitors and am currently using that to play acoustic guitar to backtracks. I thought I’d like to try some recording and mixing. I be got a cheap microphone that I’ll upgrade at some point but thought the phones would be my next purchase.
Yeah, you need closed back headphones for recording, and the ATm50s are good for that. They're what I use although I prefer listening back and editing using Grados. Mixing seems to work best for me using monitors although I've read of others using headphones successfully.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
The m40x and the mh751/752 are probably the best closed backs below 200.
If your using them for music only and doesn't have a large head/ears, I would recommend the m40x(m50x).
If your going to use it for extended periods in general use where comfort is required or have a large head/ears, I would go with the mh751/752.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:02 PM

I wanted to add that band shape & shape of the muffs are all different. The Sennheiser specs look good on paper but when I tried them on in the store, it was absolutely a terrible fit on my ear & head while the ATs were a good fit for me.

Consider the fit too if you are super picky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD