The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Video+Audio Recording an Acoustic+Singing Soloist Options? ZoomQ8?

Looking for advice putting together a system for home video/audio recordings of playing guitar and singing (single track). I have home audio studio equipment (mics, pre-amps, mixers, Logic ProX, Boss BR-1600, guitar amps with XLR outputs for DI, etc.) and experience using these; BUT have never done video. At some point I'll probably want to get into post performance editing and overdubbing but want to start with just the one track/one take; or at most using a "simple" video/audio software (like Movavai) for tweaking/polishing up the final version.

My current thinking is to get something like a Zoom Q8 (is there a better option?) and run mic'ed vocal and mic'ed/lined guitar through a two channel Fishman Artist-or similar amp, then come out of the Fishman XLR and into the Q8's XLR inputs (that is, not using the Zoom's onboard mics). This way I can use the Fishman to "engineer" the audio a bit up front. I'm more concerned about audio quality than the video.

Am I headed in the right direction?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Actually, you're overthinking it. You can simplify. I have a Zoom Q8. I record with 2 external mics (AKG P170s), straight into the Q8, nothing else, & no effects. I then take the raw file (thumb drive) & transfer it to the laptop. I put the audio track through Audacity to clean it up, & then use Movavi for the video track, where you can insert pictures, effects, or whatever. The problem is, when working with audio & video, the finished file is huge! The reason I use Audacity for audio, is Movavi is lacking in the audio improvement dept. It's great for videos, not so much in audio.
Steve
Old 03-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Actually, you're overthinking it. You can simplify. I have a Zoom Q8. I record with 2 external mics (AKG P170s), straight into the Q8, nothing else, & no effects. I then take the raw file (thumb drive) & transfer it to the laptop. I put the audio track through Audacity to clean it up, & then use Movavi for the video track, where you can insert pictures, effects, or whatever. The problem is, when working with audio & video, the finished file is huge! The reason I use Audacity for audio, is Movavi is lacking in the audio improvement dept. It's great for videos, not so much in audio.
Steve
Steve, Yep, I knew I was not taking the simplest route but want a somewhat “produced” sounding audio. What kinds of things can Audacity do? Started to read about. Plug-ins available..... EQ?...Effects?...? Guess I should look at a few YouTube tutorials....Thanks
PS: I take it from ur post that ur happy with the Q8....

Last edited by gmel555; 03-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 PM

My recommendation is to FIRST read everything that Fran Guidry has posted at his Homebrewedmusic website relating to producing "Look At Me Play Guitar" videos.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/category/video-category/

You can get a good idea of how to do it fairly cheaply and right by reading his website information.

I personally have a very hard time dealing with the fish-eye view of all the Zoom Cameras. Fran has good solid suggestions on how to not end up with videos that look like they are shot through a goldfish bowl.

Don't overlook Reaper as a primary audio editing software. Reaper keeps adding more video editing capability, so you might want to do a video or two using Reaper to see if that might meet your needs.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Steve, Yep, I knew I was not taking the simplest route but want a somewhat “produced” sounding audio. What kinds of things can Audacity do? Started to read about. Plug-ins available..... EQ?...Effects?...? Guess I should look at a few YouTube tutorials....Thanks
PS: I take it from ur post that ur happy with the Q8....
Audacity is pretty basic, not many bells & whistles. On the other hand, you're just recording voice & guitar, not an orchestra. Yes, happy with Q8 so far, just trying to figure out a way to compress the end file down to a manageable size, without ruining the quality.
Steve
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Rudy. That looks like it will be helpful. I’ve been doing multi track recordings, mixing and mastering for years but never video. I thought I’d start with just a single track guitar/vocal and then see where I might take it from there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD