The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPT View Post
Thanks for support, Dirk!

I'm watching the videos on Mahogany Sessions and the quality is impeccable! I didn't know this channel! Thanks to warn, but I remain with the same doubt. Like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58550EGvME
I don't see microphone near him, so this song was recorded on studio too and then they lip-synch with the video?
My guess would be. A lavalier mic taped near his left shoulder under the shirt.
I think you can see it :-) So no problem with wind here.
Maybe another shotgun mic hidden in the grass in front of him ???
And there is a cable running from his guitar.
Can be seen at 1:20 and 1:28 (in the lower left croner) and from 2:25 to 2:32.
Some post processing and there you go.

If its a playback itīs done pretty much perfect, but I dont think so.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 AM

It's a great production but to the best of my ears and eyes 100% play back. The guy on the little Martin is faking here and there some solo but he for sure does not play them exactly the way you hear them. Most of the time he continues playing rhythm. Moreover, I am pretty convinced that the little licks are played on another (bigger) guitar. But they worked on the details, like the tambourin. Yet, how can it be so well recorded live if there isn't a microphone even near. And than the back ground sound. The dubbed in 'waterwaves' cannot be made imho by the rather calm surface we see; and all the birds we hear (sparrows, tits, etc.)... they are recorded in a green surrounding; certainly not on that bare rock massive where they don't live and we don't see them.

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 02-28-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Garsh, well, you did ask how they did it. If knowing spoils the illusion, maybe you also don't want to know how they make Harry Potter movies. And hot dogs.
Speaking of hot dogs I was at a MLB game in Cincinnati many years ago eating a hot dog. A woman sitting next to me asked if I knew what the hot dog was made of. It's important to note that the Cards were thumping the Reds big time by this point in the game. I turned to the woman and said as politely as possible, "No, I don't, nor do I want to know."
BTW - The hot dog tasted really good and the final score of that game was St.Louis 8, Cincinnati 1.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
BTW - The hot dog tasted really good and the final score of that game was St.Louis 8, Cincinnati 1.
If you ever get the chance, see a game in St. Louis. Best baseball fans in the world, and they'll be nice to you in your Reds cap.

Couch Standards
Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got a hilarious music video story. I producer brought me a near-finished video from an Alt. folk band that had been recorded in a farm field, but this time it was actually performed out there with mics and all. Firstly, he wanted it mixed. No problem. However, he also wanted to insert about seven seconds worth of shots into the video between the second verse and second chorus. The band was on the bus on the other side of the country and, besides, how would they match the sound of the original performance?

I watched the video and noticed that there was just, as I remember, acoustic guitar, bass, and some rhythm at the point where we would be spreading it and adding time. I brought in my dreadnought and bass and found some percussion instruments to match. Then I did an edit, opening up more space than I needed for my little part. Next I re-performed the part they were playing at the edit and repeated a couple of measures. Once I had the new part, I pulled the back of the song up and edited it onto my performance in time, making it seamless, except for the farm noises in the background.

The company I work for has a HUGE sound effects library with all sorts of ambiences so I started out with some beds and blended them to match the ambience of the farm. Next, hearing and watching a car driving across on-screen in the background that started before the new section and continued after it, I found a similar "automobile passing by on a dirt road, medium speed" sound and blended it at the in-edit and the out-edit so that you couldn't tell the car sound had stopped.

I mixed the band and then turned over the expanded sound track to the editor. He added the shots the producer wanted and, et voile'! Producer pleased, editor please, and no-one was the wiser when the video was released a few days later.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
If you ever get the chance, see a game in St. Louis. Best baseball fans in the world, and they'll be nice to you in your Reds cap.
We haven't made it to St.Louis yet so will add it and Busch Stadium to our bucket list.
In the meantime I do appreciate the underlying concern DPT is expressing re: the integrity of a real performance vs. a virtual one. This is a very modern conundrum that I personally feel can only be resolved by artists and performers defining their own limits and tolerances. And accepting that others may have very different limits and tolerances.
This may be a topic better left to another thread. I only raise it here because it has come up as a direct result of the topic at hand.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
We haven't made it to St.Louis yet so will add it and Busch Stadium to our bucket list.
In the meantime I do appreciate the underlying concern DPT is expressing re: the integrity of a real performance vs. a virtual one. This is a very modern conundrum that I personally feel can only be resolved by artists and performers defining their own limits and tolerances. And accepting that others may have very different limits and tolerances.
This may be a topic better left to another thread. I only raise it here because it has come up as a direct result of the topic at hand.
Well, anytime promotion is the motive, reality tends to take a back seat. Ever see that Kansas "documentary" in which the band shot to the pinnacle of success and is still there with all the original members?

Couch Standards
Old 02-28-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Well, anytime promotion is the motive, reality tends to take a back seat. Ever see that Kansas "documentary" in which the band shot to the pinnacle of success and is still there with all the original members?
Thanks for the heads up on that. Just watched a preview and will watch the movie asap.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Z View Post
My guess would be. A lavalier mic taped near his left shoulder under the shirt.
I think you can see it :-) So no problem with wind here.
Maybe another shotgun mic hidden in the grass in front of him ???
And there is a cable running from his guitar.
Can be seen at 1:20 and 1:28 (in the lower left croner) and from 2:25 to 2:32.
Some post processing and there you go.

If its a playback itīs done pretty much perfect, but I dont think so.
Wow!! You are the man, Dirk! Eagle eyes!
Looking his left shoulder, I really can presume there is a lavalier mic under the shirt. I agree this way the wind is no problem, but his shirt wouldn't scratch the mic and make some noise? Again, sorry any stupid question, but I have no experience with recording.
And I saw the cable running from his guitar and going along the grass!
Thanks to answer my question, I really appreciate your time spent here!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Wow!! You are the man, Dirk! Eagle eyes!
Looking his left shoulder, I really can presume there is a lavalier mic under the shirt. I agree this way the wind is no problem, but his shirt wouldn't scratch the mic and make some noise? Again, sorry any stupid question, but I have no experience with recording.
And I saw the cable running from his guitar and going along the grass!
Thanks to answer my question, I really appreciate your time spent here!
Sure, and I also see an UFO passing by in the background . But what I don't see, among all the other things I noted before, is that they play (finger) for instance the B-accents in the G chord and the G-accents in the Em chord (0:58... and elsewhere). Oh, and a cable 'going along the grass'... ? That's no evidence of eagle eyes.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Sure, and I also see an UFO passing by in the background . But what I don't see, among all the other things I noted before, is that they play (finger) for instance the B-accents in the G chord and the G-accents in the Em chord (0:58... and elsewhere). Oh, and a cable 'going along the grass'... ? That's no evidence of eagle eyes.
I think we are talking about a different video :-)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Z View Post
I think we are talking about a different video :-)
Sorry, Dirk, I hadn't noticed that you had taken a side-road to lushier meadows...

Old 03-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Hello guys.

I'm entering in this world of record music, so I'm learning slowly. Sorry for a stupid question.

Does anybody could tell me what equipment these guys are using to record this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlBIpwtNxxE

What microphone are they using? Is it a condenser mic?

Thanks!

Diogo Trairi

I'm doubting this is recorded "live" on location.

From photo.. I see some off the shelf gear.
Shure SM57 / Dynamic Mics
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB Audio Interface
MacBook (not sure model)