The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Neck in KoppK35 (regular) vs CJ35

Can anyone compare these necks? Am looking at the Kopp with the big neck and also want to know about his standard K35 neck. I only have my Collings CJ 35 to compare it to. If anyone has played both and has any insight, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I saw your CJ35 demo video in the AGF classifieds. In it you mentioned trying a German topped CJ35 but you preferred the Sitka top better as it provides more warmth.

I’ve only played 2 Kopp K35s but found them to be very articulate — more so than the Collings. My Sitka topped CJ35 will be ‘last slope standing’ after the Walker in my sig sells.

All this to say, I highly recommend you play the Kopp or buy it with a return privilege before selling or trading away the CJ35.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 03-25-2024, 12:56 PM

I would guess that Kopp has a spec sheet for the guitar so you might contact him.

The only K35 neck though I have seen specs listed for gave them as having a depth of around .874" at the 1st fret and .934" at the 9th fret. How representative this is for that model though I do not have a clue. What I know about the Collings CJ35 stems from me snooping around about five years back when I was thinking about buying one. I want to say the neck on the CJ35 has a different taper meaning it is not as thick as the Kopp around the nut but gets thicker than the Kopp as you near the 9th fret.

Hopefully somebody with more experience than I have will chime in.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Necks are a pure feel thing for me. When I picked up my SCGC for the first time, no amount of data can begin to give me the feel I so instantly liked. I'd played four or five guitars, including some Authentics, and none were instantly this good. You must play the guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-25-2024, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, this is very helpful.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I have two Kopps and just sold one….ive played a couple more…they have all had what Kevin calls his standard carve. …which is a full but not overly ample C profile…..the shoulders are neither skimpy or deep…the edges are nicely rolled…I’ve played enough Collings to know that I like their necks a lot….I’m also a big fan of the necks on Santa Cruz guitars….. I think Kopp necks are in the same league in terms of comfort and playability…
Old 03-26-2024, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I owned two CJ35s, German and baked Sitka. I really liked the neck carve, but I like deep profiles in C, V, or ModV. I haven’t played a Kopp in years, but I remember liking the necks. Which means that they were deeper/fuller, so zombywoof’s .874” sounds right to me.

You have probably already seen this CJ35 neck spec’ sheet from the Collings website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7312.jpg (20.1 KB, 19 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion