The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 PM

Default NGD - TASCAM DR-05

Bought one this week online from B&H in Manhattan. I've had it for 3 days now putting it through its paces and I'm really enjoying it. The sound quality is incredible. This is a great tool for practice and play along for a strictly home hobbyist like myself. I'll either use headphones or plug in to my computer speakers and both sound great. I've also transferred some tracks into Audacity on my PC to mess around with which is nice, but I'm not really into that aspect of recording all that much. The quality this little contraption produces on its own is enough for me. I just wanted something that would record my playing either in the kitchen, living room, back porch, or bedroom where I could listen back, make corrections or play along to a previous recording. This is just simply great for that. Much better than having to lug around and setup your laptop and other mics or being tied down to your desktop.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
Bought one this week online from B&H in Manhattan. I've had it for 3 days now putting it through its paces and I'm really enjoying it. The sound quality is incredible. This is a great tool for practice and play along for a strictly home hobbyist like myself. I'll either use headphones or plug in to my computer speakers and both sound great. I've also transferred some tracks into Audacity on my PC to mess around with which is nice, but I'm not really into that aspect of recording all that much. The quality this little contraption produces on its own is enough for me. I just wanted something that would record my playing either in the kitchen, living room, back porch, or bedroom where I could listen back, make corrections or play along to a previous recording. This is just simply great for that. Much better than having to lug around and setup your laptop and other mics or being tied down to your desktop.
The portable recorders are great. I have a Zoom H5 and I'll just set my stuff up in the family room (I actually leave my mics on their stands in there, lol), grab one of our "TV tables" (you gotta be old to understand that one, LOL) for my sheet music and a folding chair and I'm all set to record. I keep looking at some of the usb stuff online that sell for around $200-300 and I always wonder of the preamps are better than the portables. I'm thinking that they might be because the unit doesn't have to do as much (record, play back etc), but for now I'm all Zoom.

The freedom to record away from the hum of the computer and in a better, softer environment, probably beats the upgrade in preamps from the modest usb units I keep looking at.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
After getting a Zoom R8 for Xmas I'm respecting my DR5 a lot mire for ease of setup and recording and in that setting it sounds better than R8 when you consider everything. Its nice to grab it go into another room record with its built in mic's plug it inro your computer adjust and your done
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 AM

I have a DR-05 and love it for ease of use, although the mics on the DR-05 are omni so you do need to be aware of that.

I have a few recorders, and used to have a Zoom H1 which was aggravatingly difficult to use with the goofy controls on the side. The DR-05, although larger, just feels so much better built than the H1 and the price is similar. Anyone considering these 2 recorders should be aware of the difference in quality between the Zoom and the Tascam.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
After getting a Zoom R8 for Xmas I'm respecting my DR5 a lot mire for ease of setup and recording and in that setting it sounds better than R8 when you consider everything. Its nice to grab it go into another room record with its built in mic's plug it inro your computer adjust and your done
The DR-05 hands down beats the R8 for quick use, but they are different animals indeed. The R8 is fantastic for easy multi-tracking and overdubbing, something it excels at.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The DR-05 hands down beats the R8 for quick use, but they are different animals indeed. The R8 is fantastic for easy multi-tracking and overdubbing, something it excels at.
Yep it is and one day I'll find a need to use it like it needs to be used but for now the DR-05 is doing what I need, quick little recordings to help me in my singing...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD