The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 03:12 PM

Default NGD incoming! ‘56 J45

I was looking on Facebook marketplace (as you do) and decided to see what was out there in other parts of the country. Happened upon a pretty beat up, but playable 56 J-45 for a price way too good to pass up. I’ve dreamed of owning a vintage Gibson J for years but always thought It’d be out of my price range. The fellow selling it found it at a yard sale, had put some work into restoring it, and just wanted to get a little more than what he originally paid for it. Of course today is a banking AND post office holiday and so I have to wait until tomorrow for the guitar to ship from IL to Nashville. Patience is wearing thin, but I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 AM

Default J-45

I hope it turns out to be a great guitar for you. I say that because players are so idiosyncratic about their instruments, and one man's dream guitar hurts another's shoulder and so on... That said, I love old J-45s. I spent a long time with a 1942 Banner J-45 with no truss rod, an imposingly large neck and a deep soul.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Congrats! I have been playing old Gibsons since the 1960s. Never played one I had not held in my sweaty little hands first though so you are a braver person than I. I did own a 1956 SJ for many years. It was a great sounding and feeling guitar and in fact had acquired a local reputation as the guitar to beat. 1950s Gibsons were heavier built guitars than those from the previous decade. Some find there is a certain magic in those guitars. They tend to give up a bit of the Gibson low end rumble but are punchy and quick sounding. They still have the Gibson saturated mids which makes then great strummers.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

50's J-45s hold a really special place in my heart. I'm sure you're going to love your '56. Don't be afraid to lay into it with a heavy hand, they love to be driven hard. Also try a set of Pearse PB strings on it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay frohman View Post
I hope it turns out to be a great guitar for you. I say that because players are so idiosyncratic about their instruments, and one man's dream guitar hurts another's shoulder and so on... That said, I love old J-45s. I spent a long time with a 1942 Banner J-45 with no truss rod, an imposingly large neck and a deep soul.
I own a 1942 Gibson J-50. I have, however, never run across a 1942 Gibson that did not have a truss rod. Material shortages did not begin impacting Gibson or other companies until 1943. The problem mysteriously disappeared after CMI purchased Gibson the following year.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Congratulations!

You live in Nashville and you bought a vintage Gibson unplayed? I could understand that if you lived in central Iowa, but Nashville?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-20-2019, 11:50 AM

The price was VERY good. Good enough that if the guitar needs a couple repairs, it would still be well worth it.

The great thing about Nashville is there are thousands of guitars to play and try out, but that also jacks the prices up.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-20-2019, 11:52 AM

I've got a pack waiting for it! I buy and sell a lot, and briefly owned a J45 and Pearse PB's sounded killer.

I'm sure I'm gonna love it. Can't wait to share some photos with y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
50's J-45s hold a really special place in my heart. I'm sure you're going to love your '56. Don't be afraid to lay into it with a heavy hand, they love to be driven hard. Also try a set of Pearse PB strings on it.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, rexblues. It will be a keeper.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 PM

+1 for a set of John Pearse PB’s on an old J-45 or J-50. Perfect match.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion