The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-04-2022, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If you're going to do that, I think you'd be better off selling your perpetual license sooner than later so the next owner has the option of continuing with the upgrade plans. As I'm sure you know, once the upgrade plan is skipped, the perpetual can no longer move beyond its current level since Avid is no longer allowing lapsed licenses to reinstate their upgradable status. I would think it's a lot more valuable while that option exists.
Well actually apparently right now Avid does appear to offering some lapsed perpetuals to "get current" as per posts on the DUC (not 100% certain but seems to be according to some posts)

That said obviously no way way to know if that would be available going forward .. And personally I wound think likely not,,, as hard as Avid are pushing the subscription model ..

But again for me I would not consider letting my perpetual laps... Unless...
#1 you can subscribe on a month to month basis (as oppose to singing up for a year) not yet clear ... (If not then I will just continue to renew my perpetual)

but if a month to month is available In which case like I said I would keep my ultimate frozen at 2022.4 or what ever is current in Jan 2023 and just use it for everything ...
And then if there was some feature in Studio or Flex I wanted to try , to simply use the sessions form my frozen Ultimate and then subscribe for a month and import them to see how it works .................

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-04-2022, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well actually apparently right now Avid does appear to offering some lapsed perpetuals to "get current" as per posts on the DUC (not 100% certain but seems to be according to some posts)
Resellers might have some stock of the Reinstatement Plans that Avid was selling up until last December, but that is no longer available through Avid and once that stock depletes, reinstatement will no longer be an option and if someone goes past the 30-day grace period for re-upping, they'll either have to stay at the license version they are or go to a subscription plan.

Avid Knowledge Base
I didn’t purchase a Software Updates + Support Plan for my older version of Pro Tools or my plan expired. What are my options to get new versions?

Avid sold Reinstatements for expired Software Updates + Support Plans (included with Perpetual licenses) up through Dec 31, 2019. A "Get Current" Upgrade was also offered in Dec 2021.

If you own a perpetual license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan, you can check with Avid Resellers since they can still sell existing stock beyond those dates, and customers with these can redeem them at https://my.avid.com/products/redemption.

Note that there is a 30 day grace period following the expiration date of a Software Updates + Support Plan which allows you to renew shortly after a plan has expired (that does not extend your plan term by the number of days you wait - it simply adds a year to the original plan expiration date).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Note that there is a 30 day grace period following the expiration date of a Software Updates + Support Plan which allows you to renew shortly after a plan has expired (that does not extend your plan term by the number of days you wait - it simply adds a year to the original plan expiration date).[/I]
Maybe this is what was being talked about on the DUC. I don't remember for certain but somebody was saying they had a "Get Current" option in their My Products section of their account. And it was goin to be a perpetual Studio version I am guessing because they had PT regular ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe this is what was being talked about on the DUC. I don't remember for certain but somebody was saying they had a "Get Current" option in their My Products section of their account. And it was goin to be a perpetual Studio version I am guessing because they had PT regular ?
That may be the case. I haven't done the update yet so I don't know.

YouTube
Old 05-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That may be the case. I haven't done the update yet so I don't know.
To be clear there was no "Get Current" option in my account but then again I am current until Jan 30 2023. So the only two options in my account My Products > PT Ultimate is the Updates and Support plan renewal And then the Ultimate/Flex Subscription 1 year paid up front $999
So I am now merely speculating the person I mentioned must have had an expired plan but was within the 30 days , For that option to be showing ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-04-2022, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Resellers might have some stock of the Reinstatement Plans that Avid was selling up until last December, but that is no longer available through Avid and once that stock depletes, reinstatement will no longer be an option and if someone goes past the 30-day grace period for re-upping, they'll either have to stay at the license version they are or go to a subscription plan.

Avid Knowledge Base
I didn’t purchase a Software Updates + Support Plan for my older version of Pro Tools or my plan expired. What are my options to get new versions?

Avid sold Reinstatements for expired Software Updates + Support Plans (included with Perpetual licenses) up through Dec 31, 2019. A "Get Current" Upgrade was also offered in Dec 2021.

If you own a perpetual license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan, you can check with Avid Resellers since they can still sell existing stock beyond those dates, and customers with these can redeem them at https://my.avid.com/products/redemption.

Note that there is a 30 day grace period following the expiration date of a Software Updates + Support Plan which allows you to renew shortly after a plan has expired (that does not extend your plan term by the number of days you wait - it simply adds a year to the original plan expiration date).
This is not quite correct. The Avid link you referenced in your post was dated 4/22/2022. On 4/26/2022, Avid released PT 2022.4 and the new three tiered system.

The Avid link I posted in the first post in this thread contains the following statement about lapsed perpetual licenses as of 4/26/2022:

"What happens to existing customers with perpetual licenses?

Customers will retain their perpetual licenses. Software Updates + Support Plans for Pro Tools (standard) will automatically change to Pro Tools Studio. Pro Tools | Ultimate perpetual products/licenses will remain unchanged. Avid is also reintroducing Upgrades ("Get Current") to allow perpetual license owners with expired Software Updates + Support Plans to reinstate their plans."

Avid is currently directly offering reinstatements of lapsed perpetual licenses (just like they did at the end of 2021). Dunno know how long they will be doing it. The big change was that as of 4/26/2022 Avid is no longer selling perpetual licenses...only (i) subscriptions and (ii) annual update and service plans to perpetual license holders.

Perpetual licenses may still be available from third party resellers, but they are going fast. I read a post a couple of days ago which said that Sweetwater has depleted their inventory of new perpetual licenses.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Avid is currently directly offering reinstatements of lapsed perpetual licenses (just like they did at the end of 2021). Dunno know how long they will be doing it. The big change was that as of 4/26/2022 Avid is no longer selling perpetual licenses...only (i) subscriptions and (ii) annual update and service plans to perpetual license holders.
That's really good news for people who let their update status lapse. I suspect that like in 2021, it won't be a wide window but it's a rare smart move on Avid's part because it would have been another reason for people to angry with the company. I've no doubt it helped them hold onto paying customers they would have lost had not they opened a window.

Quote:
Perpetual licenses may still be available from third party resellers, but they are going fast. I read a post a couple of days ago which said that Sweetwater has depleted their inventory of new perpetual licenses.
I do wonder if the subscription model is a good strategy for Avid but for those considering jumping into Pro Tools, it's poop or get off the pot time for as long as those perpetual licenses can be found. There will probably still be used licenses floating around but I suspect people will be hesitant to give those up as easily as people did in the past.

YouTube
Old 05-04-2022, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's really good news for people who let their update status lapse. I suspect that like in 2021, it won't be a wide window but it's a rare smart move on Avid's part because it would have been another reason for people to angry with the company. I've no doubt it helped them hold onto paying customers they would have lost had not they opened a window.
I let my update and support plan for PT Standard lapse at the end of 2020 with a plan to wait two years or so and perhaps buy a new license or dump PT all together and stick with Studio One Pro (which, having used it for almost three years I truly enjoy). Then I heard from a reliable inside source that Avid was going to dump selling new perp licenses (but still support them going forward) and go subscription only. Then, last fall, Avid initiated its first "Get Current" deal to allow folks with lapsed perp license get back onboard. It did it then. I also enjoy Pro Tools quite a bit. It just works and works very well indeed.

Quote:
I do wonder if the subscription model is a good strategy for Avid but for those considering jumping into Pro Tools, it's poop or get off the pot time for as long as those perpetual licenses can be found. There will probably still be used licenses floating around but I suspect people will be hesitant to give those up as easily as people did in the past.
I suspect used perp licenses will increase in value somewhat once all the remaining new ones are sold. I don't think the subscription only model is a good business move, but what do I know?
Old 05-04-2022, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Default "PTLE" Gives Me The Willies!

Aloha,

Sdelsolray will always provide the latest developments. Mahalo Stephen! Wow - dumping PT Standard for Studio One? That is news.

BUT....just seeing Kev's mention of Avid's PTLE here really gives me the willies!!!

Though I am retired, but can't play or wish to record anymore, PTLE angst & AVID memories are still thick as thieves in my aging brain. Sure, Pro Tools 'got there first' to corner the market at a time when DAW's weren't "logical," intuitive or all that. But in their attempts to provide "Light Editions" for those unable to spend $5K on earlier studio or standard PT's, Avid created one of the absolute WORST, LEAST STABLE DAW's & programs in history, IMO.

Sure, PTLE was affordable for hobbyist/ home studio guys, but it was "CRASH CENTRAL!" at a time when Windows & its updates were MOSTLY incompatible with it. That was my & many folks' experiences with that insanely buggy & wasteful program.

But what really made PTLE awful was how the people at AVID treated me (us), calling me a "liar, an incompetent, unhelpable, whiney," etc., providing no assistance that worked. They really showed the true colors of that company. Is it any wonder that their products get more & more expensive & complex ("three-tiers?" C'mon.) So Typical! Just ways to get more money out of us & not give us much with this new edition. I would never work with those AXZH*MES again, even if I had to.

For me ultimately, my AVID PTLE experience was a complete waste of over a year's worth of time, constant crashes & lost projects. It sure made it easy for me to start over with new DAW home recording in 2006 - with Logic Pro (not that great back then either, but stable).

I moved on to try every available DAW online sample & settled on an iMac/Apogee Ensemble/Logic Pro rig that really worked for me. Not one crash EVER!

APPLE even gave me 66 hour-long, in-store Logic Pro training sessions back then, for only $99 bucks extra through their former "One-to-One" program. A winner all around, especially compared to AVID.

So Kev, when you bring up those old PT light editions, tied to AVID's absolutely inferior dongle's? Oh, the Horror! the Horror!

Mahalo for the information guys & topic.

Joseph, good stress IS exciting, but ya can't do it forever. I retired from my stressfull day career three years ago at 72 & am so happy I did. And I quit gigging after 53 years almost nightly 'bout nine years ago. I was ALWAYS working, Ha! Now, I literally live at da beach:

After a long creative career spent toiling in windowless caves, isn't it time for you to put your feet in the ocean everyday now as well, my friend!

What a topic! PTLE! Sheesh! Shivers!

A Hui Hou!

alohachris "On da cutting edge of nothing!"

Last edited by alohachris; 05-04-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

Sdelsolray will always provide the latest developments. Mahalo Stephen! Wow - dumping PT Standard for Studio One? That is news.

BUT....just seeing Kev's mention of Avid's PTLE here really gives me the willies!!!

Though I am retired, but can't play or wish to record anymore, PTLE angst & AVID memories are still thick as thieves in my aging brain. Sure, Pro Tools 'got there first' to corner the market at a time when DAW's weren't "logical," intuitive or all that. But in their attempts to provide "Light Editions" for those unable to spend $5K on earlier studio or standard PT's, Avid created one of the absolute WORST, LEAST STABLE DAW's & programs in history, IMO.

Sure, PTLE was affordable for hobbyist/ home studio guys, but it was "CRASH CENTRAL!" at a time when Windows & its updates were MOSTLY incompatible with it. That was my & many folks' experiences with that insanely buggy & wasteful program.

But what really made PTLE awful was how the people at AVID treated me (us), calling me a "liar, an incompetent, unhelpable, whiney," etc., providing no assistance that worked. They really showed the true colors of that company. Is it any wonder that their products get more & more expensive & complex ("three-tiers?" C'mon.) So Typical! Just ways to get more money out of us & not give us much with this new edition. I would never work with those AXZH*MES again, even if I had to.

For me ultimately, my AVID PTLE experience was a complete waste of over a year's worth of time, constant crashes & lost projects. It sure made it easy for me to start over with new DAW home recording in 2006 - with Logic Pro (not that great back then either, but stable).

I moved on to try every available DAW online sample & settled on an iMac/Apogee Ensemble/Logic Pro rig that really worked for me. Not one crash EVER!

APPLE even gave me 66 hour-long, in-store Logic Pro training sessions back then, for only $99 bucks extra through their former "One-to-One" program. A winner all around, especially compared to AVID.

So Kev, when you bring up those old PT light editions, tied to AVID's absolutely inferior dongle's? Oh, the Horror! the Horror!

Mahalo for the information guys & topic.
I remember you I discussing your negative PT experience
And I think it a shame you had such a bad experience.
On the other hand I have to say my experience with Pro Tools starting in 2003 was basically the complete diametrically opposed opposite.

I am wondering if I am understanding you that you initially started using PT on a Windows system ?

With the caveat that the Post engineer that I did my very first studio recordings with in 2002 (who was using the PT HD TDM system) and his advise was switch to a Mac computer (because if my memory serves I think you are quite correct PT users on Windows had numerous stability issues for a number of years ...Where many if not most Users on Mac systems experienced one of the most stable DAW platforms of that time frame .

Because :::

For me starting out Pro Tools was insanely stable and completely intuitive and was in fact literally a plug and play system,,, that involved simply Downloading PT LE , Installing (to my Apple G4) laptop--- Launching Pro Tools and hitting the record button and I was up and recording and mixing with nary a glitch for literally years

I can't really comment about Avid Customer support because I never had to use it

The few times I experienced any glitches,, 99% of time it was user error.. In fact the only real DAW base bug I have experienced was in PT version 2021.12 (Dec.2021) where My Avid Carbon interface would occasionally loose the Hardware setting when launching a new session with a different sample rate (forcing me to quit PT and relaunch to go to the new sample rate)
Which has now been fixed with this threads subject --- version 2022.4

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-05-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For me starting out Pro Tools was insanely stable and completely intuitive and was in fact literally a plug and play system,,, that involved simply Downloading PT LE , Installing (to my Apple G4) laptop--- Launching Pro Tools and hitting the record button and I was up and recording and mixing with nary a glitch for literally years
My experience was similar. I'd get the rare in-program crash while in record mode (which only required that I hit record again, not restart anything...and those were mostly user error regarding buffer size) but for 99% of the time, Pro Tools ran without any problems. I was running it on the lowest priced G3 desktop which cost around $2500 back then, if I'm remembering correctly. My first Digidesign interface was the 001 followed by a rackmount 003. That we were glued to Digi's hardware was the worst part about Pro Tools.

YouTube
Old 05-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I started with Pro Tools LE v 5.01 in 1999 on a G4 Mac Tower. It all ran fine for me. I too remember, when Digidesign released a Pro Tools version for Windows computers, the significant problems PC folks were having. It took years for that to dissipate.

That G4 Mac, which received memory and CPU upgrades, lasted for 12 years. Back then and for many years after (until 2010 or so), Pro Tools would only run on Digidesign (i.e., Avid) hardware. I first had a Digi 001 rackmount interface and later and Digi 003 rackmount interface. I used them as dongles and used outboard preamps, converters and EQ.

IIRC, there were no subscriptions then, only perpetual licenses. All point revisions (i.e., v 7.3 to 7.4) were free, and major updates (i.e., v 6.x to 7.0) cost $75. I froze my system at v 7.4 for about 4 years or so and jumped back in at v 10 in 2011, when I got a new iMac which I am still using today (11 years later) running PT Studio 2022.4. I remain in an internal debate of which computer to replace it with.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That G4 Mac, which received memory and CPU upgrades, lasted for 12 years. Back then and for many years after (until 2010 or so), Pro Tools would only run on Digidesign (i.e., Avid) hardware. I first had a Digi 001 rackmount interface and later and Digi 003 rackmount interface. I used them as dongles and used outboard preamps, converters and EQ.
I didn't have a ton of outboard back then but I did have a Focusrite TwinTrak Pro that I used rather than the Digi pres. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't a huge step up from the 003 pres. By 2008, I tired of the TwinTrak and I bought my Hardy M2 and my Demeter VTMP-2c pres. Having two excellent pres, one solid state and one tube, really improved things.

Back then I also had a TC-Helicon VoicePrism which I used to create background vocals. They sounded pretty horrible on their own but in a mix with the right volume automation and some EQing, they weren't terrible. I sold that in 2008 also.

I just found this old picture of my setup in 2008 after my 001 died and I had decided to do a major upgrade that ran me about $7k. Most of what's in the rack was brand new at the time. I forgot I had that Focusrite Liquid Channel. Right now, it's sitting in my mentor's rack. It's been there for years and I'm probably not going to take it back so long as he's getting use out of it.

Near the bottom is a Focusrite Compounder compressor. That might have been my worst purchase. It really wasn't suitable for what I was doing.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 05-05-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't have a ton of outboard back then but I did have a Focusrite TwinTrak Pro that I used rather than the Digi pres. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't a huge step up from the 003 pres. By 2008, I tired of the TwinTrak and I bought my Hardy M2 and my Demeter VTMP-2c pres. Having two excellent pres, one solid state and one tube, really improved things.

Back then I also had a TC-Helicon VoicePrism which I used to create background vocals. They sounded pretty horrible on their own but in a mix with the right volume automation and some EQing, they weren't terrible. I sold that in 2008 also.

I just found this old picture of my setup in 2008 after my 001 died and I had decided to do a major upgrade that ran me about $7k. Most of what's in the rack was brand new at the time. I forgot I had that Focusrite Liquid Channel. Right now, it's sitting in my mentor's rack. It's been there for years and I'm probably not going to take it back so long as he's getting use out of it.

Near the bottom is a Focusrite Compounder compressor. That might have been my worst purchase. It really wasn't suitable for what I was doing.

Jim the picture is not opening on my (Guess What? Mac ) using chrome

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim the picture is not opening on my (Guess What? Mac ) using chrome
I used a link location from another forum so that might have been the issue. I moved the picture over to Imgur; you should be able to see it now.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD