The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-26-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Production Expert blog article on PC vs Mac

I thought this was kind of an interesting take on the old debate .Note the article is not intending to stir up a flame war, and it I think , observes up some relevant points about the debate being more about personal preference than performance statistics .

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...%20-%208020583

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-26-2022, 07:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've often infuriated the fanboys and platform religionists by being agnostic about the "best" platform. I'm sitting here in the middle of a voice session with my DAW on a PC while I type to you on a Mac Mini. They both work. No, really, they do. I've gone back and forth with the platform for the DAW from PC to Mac and back, mostly based upon whichever platform was best supporting video. Both platforms were supporting three-head video. As long as speeds were spec'd high enough we just percolated along. I'm fairly sure that my agnosticism is related to the fact that I was working on computers far before there were personal computers and then spent a decade on home computers other than either Mac or PC.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-26-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

The Mac vs PC threads can get pretty heated. I've used PCs for about thirty years and Macs for a bit over twenty years, so I have plenty of experience in both realms. While both can be used for studio work, I've found PCs to be a bit quirky in that they develop problems sometimes that are not easy to track down and solve. I've not found the same to be true on the Macs I've owned so from my point of view, that article is spot on.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-26-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

As stated this thread is not pro or con about either platform but about the interesting emotions behind the choices.

I've been a computer guy for a very long time. I owned a small business, did graduate work in software development, ran a department etc.

I have *always* believed that all the arguments and rational claims were fake. It doesn't matter the specifications, rationale or capabilities you claim. That is simply how one justifies what they like best.

It's like chocolate versus vanilla.

Tell each camp to argue why their choice is best. They will pathetically attempt to use science and data and facts and logic to decide why it's their favorite flavor.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-26-2022, 02:10 PM

I like the car analogy from the article. My Honda Accord is my road Apple.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-27-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

For me I started with just typical home use of computers e-mail and home accounting etc, before getting into Audio production and had PC's. First some off shore desk top and then a Sony laptop. But switched to Mac when I began home recording (this is the quick story of why)

In the spring of 2002, I was in NYC on an extensive high end home 2 year renovation.

I had also written some 8 songs I wanted to record them .

Through a set of circumstance (a whole other story) I came to record those songs in a very high end Post Production facility in mid town Manhattan (which was running a Pro Tool HD TDM system) The engineer mentioned that Digi Design ( pre Avid name change) had a home recording version called Pro Tools LE..

At that time Digi Design recommended Mac as the the most issue free platform with Pro Tools .
So I got a G4 or G5 laptop (don't remember which ) But have simply just stayed with Mac ever since ..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-27-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:02 AM

I've been in technology for almost 40 years and have been through every iteration and platform since, just like most of you. In the end, for me, it's all about the application software. While I am a PC user, mostly by necessity, I appreciate and enjoy using Macs. I used them for years when they went Intel because I could dual boot. For a while, Apple made the "best PC laptop" available. I don't game, so I am not part of the PC enthusiast culture in that way. All that said, after nearly 40 years of dealing with frustrating platform changes in all manner of business IT systems, I would use a M1 Mac for myself at the drop of a hat if the software was available. On the other hand, there is nothing so alluring about the M1 Mac that I am willing to suffer through the instability and time suck of setting and tweaking virtual machines to run various proprietary X86 applications.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:15 AM

I generally don't use Macs much and never have for recording.

I know my way around PCs fairly well. Years ago, I discovered my recording PC slowing down over time, particularly when I used it for anything internet related or I'd tried a lot of trials of plugins and other audio related stuff. The same has been true for every PC I've bought or built since.

It obviously requires some time to do this but now, once every year or so , I reformat the system drive, reinstall Windows and my apps and it's like new.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I like the car analogy from the article. My Honda Accord is my road Apple.
FYI, if you're in horse country, "road apple" has a different meaning!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-01-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
FYI, if you're in horse country, "road apple" has a different meaning!
I live in horse country.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-01-2022, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I live in horse country.
Me too !!! domestic, wild, and hybrid

Domestic

Wild

Hybrid = Wildestic.

Oh wait what were we talking about ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD