The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-23-2022, 08:38 AM

Default mic comparison: Austrian Audio CC8 vs. Schoeps CMC6MK4

Hi,

I announced it some weeks ago and finally did it:
Here is comparison of these two great little mics in wide A/B stereo configuration.
I would love to hear what you think about these amazing Austrian Audio CC8 mics in comparison with my pair of Schoeps.
No processing of any kind, only adjusting the levels. All mics go direct to my DAW (RME 800 interface), panning is hard left/right.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-23-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Nice setup for the mike demo. I have found in other multiple mike demos that many mikes (say a group of SD condenser mikes)
often sound so similar it's virtually a toss-up. Somewhat more variability in different aspects when handling mikes hands on in
various recording setups.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-23-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Hey Thank you so much for doing this.
It is the exact comparison I have been hoping for

I had a single Schoeps CMC6MK4, that I unfortunately had to sell to fund the pair of AEA N 22 ribbons I wanted (do wish I would have kept it and simply gotten another one) That said I am now in the Market for a pair of SDC condensers and these Austrian Audio CC8 do seem like a great pretty close alternative perhaps a very slight more detail in the Schoeps. But still very close in overall tone Especially considering the just over 3 1/2 X price difference. I think the CC8's will be my next purchase
Schoeps pair $3448
Austrian pair $949

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-23-2022, 09:30 AM

Great demo! Thanks for doing that. To my ears, the Schoeps CMC6MK4's sound more natural. There is something I didn't care for with the AA's mids, sounded a bit congested maybe? But that demo really makes me want to get some Schoeps. They really sounded great.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Well done! I'm hearing a little bit of a low-mid push and a little bit less transient detail in the AA when compared to the Schoeps. My preference would be the Schoeps but the AA certainly sounds like a quality microphone.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-23-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Very valuable demo Guitarman68! Once again many thanks for comparing these two.

Hmmm?
I think I now understand why so many hit records were recorded using the AGK 451, of which these mics capsule is founded upon. However, these Autrian's Audio mics might be a bit smoother when compared to the original 451's.

I hear the fundamentals of the note being captured primarily over the overtones with these mics. This might help the acoustic guitar stand out in a melodic rock mix. Where the acoustic guitar duties include Rhythm guitar and the occasional flatpicking leads.

Yes, the Schoeps do sound a bit fuller and a bit more natural. However in many instances for that rock influenced multi track album that includes bass, drums, and other instruments, the fundamentals could be termed as the most important factor. It simply might cut through the mix a bit better.

In an album where Guitar is the leading instrument, and drives the commanding theme, then Schoeps fullness might benefit the the mix. That will be my particular case for my upcoming recording adventures. Even though I will have a full multi track recordings, the Acoustic Guitar will still be the front runner. The Acoustic Guitar will be driving the entirety of the song, even where vocals and lyrics become the focus. The Acoustic Guitar will be still be the driving force. Thus I will use my Schoeps.

Very impressed with this Austrian Audio Mics. Every studio needs variety. And at these prices...it sure is a terrific option.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Very valuable demo Guitarman68! Once again many thanks for comparing these two.

Hmmm?
I think I now understand why so many hit records were recorded using the AGK 451, of which these mics capsule is founded upon. However, these Autrian's Audio mics might be a bit smoother when compared to the original 451's.

I hear the fundamentals of the note being captured primarily over the overtones with these mics. This might help the acoustic guitar stand out in a melodic rock mix. Where the acoustic guitar duties include Rhythm guitar and the occasional flatpicking leads.

Yes, the Schoeps do sound a bit fuller and a bit more natural. However in many instances for that rock influenced multi track album that includes bass, drums, and other instruments, the fundamentals could be termed as the most important factor. It simply might cut through the mix a bit better.

In an album where Guitar is the leading instrument, and drives the commanding theme, then Schoeps fullness might benefit the the mix. That will be my particular case for my upcoming recording adventures. Even though I will have a full multi track recordings, the Acoustic Guitar will still be the front runner. The Acoustic Guitar will be driving the entirety of the song, even where vocals and lyrics become the focus. The Acoustic Guitar will be still be the driving force. Thus I will use my Schoeps.

Very impressed with this Austrian Audio Mics. Every studio needs variety. And at these prices...it sure is a terrific option.
I go back and forth on this also ,,,as most of my productions are either acoustic guitar/vocal centered as in my "One Shot -live " series or also often still acoustic/vocal centered but with some other instrumentation as well .. There are three reasons I (personally) might consider the AA over Schoeps. Which are:
#1 because my two main acoustics are on the bright side and that sometimes was an issue with the Schoeps I had....
#2 since I do not do Acoustic solo, I am not convinced the the subtle detail of Schoeps over the AA will actually be realized or benefit , when combined even with just a vocal added,,, given the voice has so much common frequency range with the acoustic .
#3 and a big reason is admittedly the price ( I can easily afford the Schoeps but am not sure it would really make a difference in my particular recording situations -- ha these first world quandaries

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-24-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

It's early Sunday morning here and I'm listening with fresh ears on Genelec monitors. The difference between the two mics is not subtle at all. After all the praise I've read for the AA mic I'm disappointed to hear the lack of detail and the poor imaging as compared with the Schoeps. You get what you pay for.

Given the price difference of course the premium mic sounds better than the entry level mic. It would be interesting to compare the AA mic with a Beyerdynamic MC-930 as it would be more of an apples to apples comparison.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Humm so now the replies here have really got me questioning my hearing (which admittedly suffers mid frequency loss)

For example on my Amphion monitors the difference is actually less noticeable than on either of my HP's sets But my room is not ideal at all, so there is that ?????????

I do tend to audition short 3-5 second sections back to back given human recall memory is notoriously poor

Certainly not refuting any replies here ( given my marginal hearing). BUT I do wonder what the results of proper Double Blind A/B would actually be ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm so now the replies here have really got me questioning my hearing (which admittedly suffers mid frequency loss)

For example on my Amphion monitors the difference is actually less noticeable than on either of my HP's sets But my room is not ideal at all, so there is that ?????????

I do tend to audition short 3-5 second sections back to back given human recall memory is notoriously poor

Certainly not refuting any replies here ( given my marginal hearing). BUT I do wonder what the results of proper Double Blind A/B would actually be ?
I'm old so Kev your hearing is no doubt as good or better than mine. I am regretting those nights at Madame Wongs and Al's Bar. I don't hear much high end anymore but fortunately I can still hear the difference between a ribbon and a condenser so there's still some left. I'm not personally familiar with Amphion monitors or with your room but if I had to guess I'd say the room.

Everyone hears tone differently and that's what makes for a good horse race. When comparing mics I listen for phase coherence and off axis response and that's where the Schoeps sound superior. Tonally the mics are quite similar.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 04-24-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I'm old so Kev your hearing is no doubt as good or better than mine. I am regretting those nights at Madame Wongs and Al's Bar. I don't hear much high end anymore but fortunately I can still hear the difference between a ribbon and a condenser so there's still some left. I'm not personally familiar with Amphion monitors or with your room but if I had to guess I'd say the room.

Everyone hears tone differently and that's what makes for a good horse race. When comparing mics I listen for phase coherence and off axis response and that's where the Schoeps sound superior. Tonally the mics are quite similar.
Actually my loss is construction/carpenter noise induced loss, right in the 3k to 4k range and fairly severe like 30 and 50 db loss.. So I suspect gives me trouble analyzing accurately in that 3k-4k range

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-24-2022, 09:32 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm hearing a little bit of a low-mid push and a little bit less transient detail in the AA when compared to the Schoeps. My preference would be the Schoeps but the AA certainly sounds like a quality microphone.
What he said

I have the Schoeps with MK4's and that's pretty much exactly how I think they sound. I've used the 451's plenty, and was surprised I don't hear nearly as much of a 451 lineage in the CC8 as I thought I would. I'm guessing for some people that's a good thing, though I do still like the 451's... Either way I think the CC8's sound really nice here too. Thanks for posting. Big fun.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for this comparison. Excellent video, excellent comparison, and a great way to hear the mics in action! Listening through Sennheisser HD650 headphones, the mics sound very similar to me, but I do hear some differences.

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2022, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you for this comparison. Excellent video, excellent comparison, and a great way to hear the mics in action! ... [snip]...
I agree this was a very well done comparison; thanks!

I play solo fingerstyle guitar. I much preferred the Schoeps, but can understand how they may not be preferred for everyone’s uses. Also, while I really like the Schoeps' clarity and detail, they do have a bit more of 'finished’ high end sound than I ideally like.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 04-25-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you for this comparison. Excellent video, excellent comparison, and a great way to hear the mics in action! Listening through Sennheisser HD650 headphones, the mics sound very similar to me, but I do hear some differences.

- Glenn
Very similar. The recording volume level a little different on the two sets of mikes and when I made the volume level equal on both pairs mikes the sound was even closer, especially on the fingerpicking stuff.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD