The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-23-2022, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No computer tech here either...... BUT I can tell you my MacBook Pro M1 Pro is dead silent so far
It may very well be a non-issue; it was just something I was wondering about. Just two weeks until we replace rumors with facts.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-23-2022, 07:18 PM

An update on my recent MacBook Pro M1 16 purchase.

Love it!

Decided to keep it for personal use. It runs most of what I need for the business side of the business and some of what I need for engineering. So I’m just leaving my Dell at my office and taking the MackBook back and forth and when I need to be on the go. It appears a few of the PC makers have models coming out this year that should be able to compete with the Mac. Frankly I can’t imagine what more the average Mac user needs than these current M1 machines.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Apple just announced a new M2 MacBook Air and an M2 13 inch MacBook Pro. Available next month.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-06-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Apple also announced a new OS... Ventura.
I was hoping this wouldn't happen until next year so I could order a Mac Studio with Monterey at the end of this year. I guess now I can likely wait until early next spring to place the order now and that will give the developers almost a year to get things sorted with Ventura.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Apple also announced a new OS... Ventura.
I was hoping this wouldn't happen until next year so I could order a Mac Studio with Monterey at the end of this year. I guess now I can likely wait until early next spring to place the order now and that will give the developers almost a year to get things sorted with Ventura.
Nightmare!

Just got back from my 2 week vacation in Oregon and Utah. As you know, I have been waiting for the June Mac announcements. More importantly, I was hoping that enough time had transpired so that more software would compatible with Monterey. I have been so afraid that I will purchase a new Studio MI Max system and not be able to get my software to work properly with Monterey. My computer skills are lacking.

So Does this throw a serious loop in my plans to buy the Mac Studio MI Max? Does this mean that the Studio MI MAX will now come Only with Ventura?

Or can the MI Max still be purchased with Monterey. OR, better yet..is there a chance that Ventura would somehow be more software compatible? Maybe the designers new of the problems with Monterey and developed a new system that works more fluid? I am probably dreaming..ha ha...but you never know.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
So Does this throw a serious loop in my plans to buy the Mac Studio MI Max? Does this mean that the Studio MI MAX will now come Only with Ventura?

Or can the MI Max still be purchased with Monterey. OR, better yet..is there a chance that Ventura would somehow be more software compatible? Maybe the designers new of the problems with Monterey and developed a new system that works more fluid? I am probably dreaming..ha ha...but you never know.
I did some searching around for more info and it looks like you have some time.

macOS Ventura is available to all developers starting today. A public beta of macOS Ventura will arrive sometime next month. If history is any indication, the full-fledged release will happen this coming October. Per usual, the update will be free to download for all Mac users.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 PM

This is correct. There's no disaster, just the usual: announcing new MacOS, avail for testing. The real cutover for the new MacOS Ventura is later this year.

The usual wait on MacOS upgrades for audio software folks is still valid. I may move to Monterey OS this summer.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
This is correct. There's no disaster, just the usual: announcing new MacOS, avail for testing. The real cutover for the new MacOS Ventura is later this year.
If the lag time if still a few months for a customized Mac Studio, I wonder if they'll ship with the OS in use on the day of the order or the OS in use on the date of the build.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2022, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If the lag time if still a few months for a customized Mac Studio, I wonder if they'll ship with the OS in use on the day of the order or the OS in use on the date of the build.
There will be a day that the OS installed on the hardware will change from Monterey to Ventura. Installing the software is the second to last step before releasing the box for shipment and delivery to the customer. The last step is a standard hardware/software integration testing regimen. Populating new Mac Studios with Ventura will not begin until v 13.0.0 is actually released. That won't happen until this fall. Order now, or soon, if you want Monterey on your delivered Mac Studio.

Given that there is no hardware difference between the Mac Studios built for Monterey and the Mac Studios built for Ventura, I strongly suspect a Mac Studio initially populated with Ventura will be able to be rolled back to Monterey notwithstanding any software barriers Apple may put in place to discourage that from occurring.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I am guessing there will be no hardware issues with running any new Mac Studio (or any M series chip 1 or 2 , machine) on Monterey even after the OS switch
And it should be noted just to be safe one can always download Monterey now to a bootable USB (or other external drive) and simply boot from that drive to roll back to Monterey ..

I am currently running two OS systems on my studio computer -- My main production system is Catalina 10.15.7 (as listed below) which is on the factory installed iMac SSD drive , I also have Monterey on one of my external Pcie SSD drives (for testing ---so far so good)

What is interesting is my iMac automatically loads the OS depending wether or not I have the external drive powered up or not .....
That is to say since my external drive bay is only used to off load and store finished video's to get them off my installed SSD it is not powered up most of time...
So normally for all my recording for audio and video the external drive bay in not powered up AND in this situation the iMac loads Catalina and once Catalina is loaded even if I power up the external the iMac stays on Catalina

IF HOWEVER I power up the external drive bay fist and then power on the iMac it will automatically reboot( cycle twice) and Monterey will run ... I do not have to hold any boot keys for this to happen ...............

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-07-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
There will be a day that the OS installed on the hardware will change from Monterey to Ventura. Installing the software is the second to last step before releasing the box for shipment and delivery to the customer. The last step is a standard hardware/software integration testing regimen. Populating new Mac Studios with Ventura will not begin until v 13.0.0 is actually released. That won't happen until this fall. Order now, or soon, if you want Monterey on your delivered Mac Studio.

Given that there is no hardware difference between the Mac Studios built for Monterey and the Mac Studios built for Ventura, I strongly suspect a Mac Studio initially populated with Ventura will be able to be rolled back to Monterey notwithstanding any software barriers Apple may put in place to discourage that from occurring.
In both matters mentioned above, this was also my experience back when it mattered at my former job when I needed to buy Macs for running ProTools which wouldn't support a newer version of MacOS. I've never known Apple to put pre-release OS versions on hardware sold to the general public. And since there's a "time-on-the-boat" lag time even systems that arrive the month the OS officially launches this fall would likely still fire up as Monterey.

Yes, delays for custom builds due to factory closures or parts stock availability issues could mean that your order in the "Monterey era" might ship much later with Ventura, but my co-workers had good luck installing the previous OS then as long as there wasn't also a new set of hardware that comes along later this year (replacing or upgrading the Mac Studio line.)

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yes, delays for custom builds due to factory closures or parts stock availability issues could mean that your order in the "Monterey era" might ship much later with Ventura, but my co-workers had good luck installing the previous OS then as long as there wasn't also a new set of hardware that comes along later this year (replacing or upgrading the Mac Studio line.)
I can easily just wait a bit longer. I suspect developers will make the adjustments to Ventura a lot faster than they did to Monterey since they're not dealing with an entirely new architecture.

YouTube
Old 06-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

So do you think we're getting the new Mac Pro tomorrow or are they going to make us wait until Friday?

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD