The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2022, 03:58 PM

Default Acoustic guitar build

I’m reading through the excellent Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology, and I’m giving serious thought to trying to build an acoustic guitar. I have no woodworking experience, so I know this will be very slow-going with plenty of mistakes along the way.

Anyone have any advice for someone in my position? Like: time of the year to start the build, absolute must have tools vs ones that can wait, basic wood-working skills I should practice before attempting the build, etc.?

Also, I’m planning to do the build in my non-climate controlled crawl space. Anything I can do to prep that space to actually make it workable for acoustic guitar building?
Old 01-29-2022, 04:25 PM

With no woodworking experience, I’d recommend a kit. Most of the difficult woodwork is done already, but there is plenty to learn and accomplish.

Martin, Stewart-McDonald, LMI and Blues Creek guitars all supply good kits. I’m sure there are others as well.

You can read the StewMac kit instructions on line and get an idea of what tools you will actually need and use in the build. I would not recommend one of their pre-packaged tool kits as they will contain items you never use.

I build in the winter because the conditions in my shop are favorable then. Specifically, low humidity. You want to perform many of the operations in a low humidity if possible. Low being 40-50%. Get at least a cheap hygrometer to measure the humidity in your intended workspace. Also, glued and finishes work best at 70 degrees and up, so if it’s cold in the workspace, you could have issues.

If you are dedicated to building from scratch, that too is possible. Plenty of folks built guitars from the book you are reading.

Jump in, the water’s fine. 😃
Old 01-29-2022, 04:31 PM

Another option is to take a build class.
A number of luthiers offer build classes of a week or so, where you will build a guitar in their shop, and with their tools, procedures, and guidance.
These are not inexpensive classes.
Robbie O’Brien is one that comes to mind. Robbie also has an excellent website with online lessons as well.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:23 PM

I second The previous recommendations. A Kit or partial kit and or Hook up in a class or find another luthier who’s willing to help ya get started. In my case after 6 years of casual restoring old Vintage instruments. Around 1987 I decided to craft my own and Sloans Book and my little experience working on guitars was how I got started. I just purchased Tone woods and tooled up with the basics. There’s so much more resources now like this forum and youtube. But Definitely pursue your desire!!! Build that Box!!!! Come up with your own headstock design and get excited!!!! You will enjoy it immensely.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:19 PM

I don't suggest a kit unless it is one where you are just getting the wood you need or you have no place to use tools other than a kitchen table. If all the hard work is done, what will you learn? You will have to learn it on the next build anyways and kits cost a lot of extra money you could spend on tools. e.g. $650 for a kit instead of $50-$100 of rough cut lumber. You could buy a bandsaw with the difference.

What I do suggest is to build a small, simply decorated, instrument out of economical woods. I am talking a ukulele or flat top mandolin or even a small guitar built out of african mahogany, sapele, black walnut or maple. These woods are $5-$10 a board foot. Buy tools as you need them, used if you can. The power tools I find most useful are a bandsaw, router and planer. My most indispensable hand tool is a fret saw and I buy my fret wire from the same source so they fit together.

I found this book very helpful https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guit.../dp/B00F6JLSM4
I buy most of my hardware on amazon.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2022, 10:04 AM

Adding a bit more advice, a small drill press and or cordless drill is very handy.

Lots of clamps and a vice. You can make some clamps as shown in Brian Forbes book I mentioned before.

When setting up a power tool, practice your cutting on scrap. Left over 2x4s, 2x6s etc work for this. Same thing for finishing, practice on scrap.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:59 AM

Great replies! There is definitely something appealing about going with a kit at first.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:55 PM

I'm on my third StewMac kit. Built the first one on a whim last winter (a Rosewood/Torrified dread) and was so blown away with the feeling of accomplishment from that that I immediately ordered and built a mahogany OM, again with a torrified top. Both were a joy to build, and resulted in very good (to my thinking) guitars.

I'm now working on one of their 'Woodstax' kits - a dread, with cherry back and sides and a Lutz top. And I didn't need another guitar at all, I just wanted to build this one for the fun of it. So I guess you could say that I am encouraging you to try to build one!

And no, I had no special tools when I jumped in. I did build a bunch of the cauls recommended in the StewMac instructions along the way, and rounded up every clamp I had ever owned to get started. And then made a bunch of cheapo 'spool clamps' to go with those, which were no big deal or expense. Ingenuity takes you a long way in this hobby. I did blow a $100 on a set of 'nut files' when I did the second one, though... those suckers (while not ABSOLUTELY necessary) are just awesome tools to have for doing what is a critical (and tricky) job. Otherwise, I'm just getting along with standard workshop tools.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:44 PM

To me the biggest advance in woodworking/guitar building was to get a heated shop, being warm and comfortable helps to focus on the work.

The other thing I learned is to get a workable plan and stick to it. We all like to look around and see how others are doing something, but should resist changing the plan midstream when we think we have found a better way to do something we are having trouble with. You might end up in left field and not know how you got there. Make the changes on the 2nd or 3rd build.

Bruce,
Old 01-31-2022, 09:03 AM

Check out the website of Gabriele Reti: https://www.youtube.com/user/GabiM3112

It looks like she builds guitars on her dining room table with a minimum of common tools.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair