The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-25-2020, 11:19 PM

John Coltrane: The Believer
with Paul Chambers, Donald Byrd, Red Garland, Louis Hayes
from 1958
Prestige/ Concord Music

Side 1 is entirely devoted to the title track, in which all except for Hayes (drums) lay out on solos to the infectious groove opening this instrumental number. This album, one of many recording sessions for Prestige (this one in particular later reissued several times) and not authorized by Coltrane for release, is *deep* & stands up to repeated listening.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:07 AM

The Beatles [White Album]
from 1968
2014 analogue reissue/ Mono PMC 7076-8

This is still in my listening consciousness vs jazz. It’s a generational phenomenon - exposing children to certain music (I was 2 at the time of release) can be devastating (humor).
Old 01-26-2020, 01:04 AM

And to close out this evening:

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Impulse Records, 1964

With the great Elvin Jones on drums, this recording would foreshadow a progression for Coltrane to eventually exclude keyboard accompaniment to trio form (with bass & drums) then finally horn with drums alone. This LP really paved the way for the later London rock power trio with Mitch Mitchell and other virtuosos on percussion, in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
And to close out this evening:

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Impulse Records, 1964

With the great Elvin Jones on drums, this recording would foreshadow a progression for Coltrane to eventually exclude keyboard accompaniment to trio form (with bass & drums) then finally horn with drums alone. This LP really paved the way for the later London rock power trio with Mitch Mitchell and other virtuosos on percussion, in my opinion.
...and your opinion is correct, in my opinion.

For folk who have never listened to this album I would advise that you sit down...and hold on to something. It's intense!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 PM

I have multiple recordings by every artist mentioned in this thread. A huge chunk of the Blue Note catalog from 1955-1970, mostly on cd, around 40 on vinyl. Plenty of newer and older jazz, as well.

As a kid in the '60s, I knew 3 adults who were hardcore jazz aficionados. They would loan me records because they knew I had a good turntable and took care of the records. Our public library had a nice jazz collection, mostly in excellent condition.

Jazz has provided me with a lifetime of enjoyment, it's what I listen to more than any other genre.

Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin'was on the turntable this afternoon. Played it through twice.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
I have multiple recordings by every artist mentioned in this thread. A huge chunk of the Blue Note catalog from 1955-1970, mostly on cd, around 40 on vinyl. Plenty of newer and older jazz, as well.

As a kid in the '60s, I knew 3 adults who were hardcore jazz aficionados. They would loan me records because they knew I had a good turntable and took care of the records. Our public library had a nice jazz collection, mostly in excellent condition.

Jazz has provided me with a lifetime of enjoyment, it's what I listen to more than any other genre.

Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin'was on the turntable this afternoon. Played it through twice.
Nice to hear from you - anytime you’d like to add to this beginners introduction to some classic recordings, please feel free.

We’ve mentioned Sonny Rollins previously here, and I’d like to recommend his 1957 recording
“Newk’s Time” on Blue Note (stereo) 84001

Blue Note has been reissuing selections on vinyl from its massive catalogue over the last few years - well worth checking out.

Although spec wise, digital recordings and digital remasters of original analogue material looks good on paper, at the end of the signal chain, with final playback on vinyl, transparency will disappear in favour of *depth* most noticeable in the lower midrange and bass.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Evans' ending to "Blue In Green" is (to my mind) one of the most moving pieces of music I can think of.The entire song is so moody and melancholy and emotional.It's one of the few that never wears out -no matter how many times you hear it....
I agree

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN