The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 AM

Default Can you identify this wireless microphone system?

The video should time stamp to 5:04, where there is a close-up of the violinist.

I saw this group in December and the whole band was using this same mic - violins, guitars, mandolins, etc. The sound was great and they were able to pick up and put down instruments meaning there were no belt packs encumbering them. I think it would be great to get one of these systems for all my acoustic instruments that don't have pickups in them. I have guitars, banjos, mandos, ukes, hand drums, fiddle that I almost never use on a stage but it would be great to have a rig like this if/when I do need them.

https://youtu.be/tUq6s5QWRE8?t=304

Old 05-23-2019, 06:38 AM

It's a little hard to tell from the video, but it looks like a DPA 4099. I have 8 of them, they're really nice. In most cases where you need a mic like this, there's nothing better.

It also looks like there's a pickup system with an XLR output on her violin, which isn't being used in this video.

DPA makes clips for pretty much any instrument, but I find that I often have to gaff the clip onto guitars, ukes, and some mandos to keep it from moving around or falling off during a performance. Violins and drums are fine with just the clips though, as are strings and brass and most other things. Lately I've been using cello or bass clips on uke and mando, gaff taped on the lower bout. It isn't as obtrusive as the guitar clip, which doesn't stay in place all that well anyway. I gaff the guitar clip on too, just a little to keep it from sliding around. Instruments with a lip around the body, like violins and most mandolins, work better with the guitar/violin mounts. The clips slide around pretty easily on smooth tops with no lips, like most acoustic guitars and ukes.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
It's a little hard to tell from the video, but it looks like a DPA 4099. I have 8 of them, they're really nice. In most cases where you need a mic like this, there's nothing better.

It also looks like there's a pickup system with an XLR output on her violin, which isn't being used in this video.

DPA makes clips for pretty much any instrument, but I find that I often have to gaff the clip onto guitars, ukes, and some mandos to keep it from moving around or falling off during a performance. Violins and drums are fine with just the clips though, as are strings and brass and most other things. Lately I've been using cello or bass clips on uke and mando, gaff taped on the lower bout. It isn't as obtrusive as the guitar clip, which doesn't stay in place all that well anyway. I gaff the guitar clip on too, just a little to keep it from sliding around. Instruments with a lip around the body, like violins and most mandolins, work better with the guitar/violin mounts. The clips slide around pretty easily on smooth tops with no lips, like most acoustic guitars and ukes.
Thanks! I'll look it up.
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 AM

Just looked it up and noticed that the mic is not an integrated wireless system. That's the part I'm most interested in. The lack of a belt clip/ whole system being mounted to the violin. Any ideas?
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Just looked it up and noticed that the mic is not an integrated wireless system. That's the part I'm most interested in. The lack of a belt clip/ whole system being mounted to the violin. Any ideas?
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the specific mic in the video, which is something I have a lot of experience with. I don't know much about integrated wireless, other than the mounting options tend to not work very well. If it were for an instrument with a pickup that would be one thing, but I'm not sure you'll find anything that will work well with each of those acoustic instruments.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the specific mic in the video, which is something I have a lot of experience with. I don't know much about integrated wireless, other than the mounting options tend to not work very well. If it were for an instrument with a pickup that would be one thing, but I'm not sure you'll find anything that will work well with each of those acoustic instruments.
What I would like to find is a 'professional' system like this isolo device:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QM4K3T...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It is a gooseneck microphone and transmitter in one, and it transmits a digital uncompressed signal. I LOVE The form factor and the prospect of being able to use a single microphone on multiple instruments.

My concerns with the specific isolo unit are:
- unknown brand
- unknown durability
- mediocre battery life (3 hrs is barely enough for church, not enough for a club gig)
- non-replaceable battery

If line 6 or Shure made a product like this I would buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe I'll buy it anyway [emoji39]
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-25-2019, 07:19 AM

Aaaand I think I've found what I'm looking for! Rode Wireless GO

- 2.4ghz digital wireless system
- small transmitter with built in mic and 3.5mm Jack for connecting a lav or goose neck
- 7 hrs battery life
- reputable manufacturer

They are currently back ordered but I'm going to order one and put it through it's paces. I can't find any reviews on it's utility as an instrument mic so I'll post one once I get it. Excited!
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2010s Eastman E10OM SB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification