The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Build Thread: Wilborn Lion

I'm a little embarrassed to even post this, but Ben Wilborn has been so wonderful to work with that I wanted to share it anyway.

Primarily a fingerstyle uke enthusiast, I am really not much of a player. For me, a large part of the enjoyment is the instrument itself. Of course tone and playability are paramount. But for me the woods, the aesthetics, and the craftsmanship are what make me think, "must have."

I was introduced to Ben's by Jake Maclay, who is among the very finest custom ukulele luthiers. Jake is not easily impressed, but was not short on praise for Ben's work.

Having rotated through a few guitars already, my only requirement was a 1 7/8 neck with 2 3/8 string spacing. As to models, I was initially going to get a Bantam, Ben's smallest size but was also open to a Lion, the next largest size. The Lion is sort of in between a 0 and 00.

We bounced some ideas/thoughts around on wood. Ben offered a few up for consideration. Each was lovely, but I quickly settled on a nice set of flamed birdseye maple.

I let Ben decide most of the details, including Bantam or Lion. He felt that this wood set wanted to be a Lion, so Lion it is. For the top, he chose a dark, master grade cedar. The binding that ties it all together is a very lovely flamed mahogany. The neck is old quarter sawn Honduran mahogany, the headplate in front is curly mahogany from the same billet as the binding, and the back is Gaboon ebony.

I did weigh in on tuners and after been showed me some options, I settled on Schaller Grand Tune tuners in black with Ivory buttons.

Ben is extremely industrious. I've been thrilled to see the build photos coming in quite regularly to my inbox. He started my instrument in late February and my instrument is already in finish. Nope, Mr. Wilborn does not mess around.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvB2sVa

I shattered my elbow 1/1 in a bicycling accident (three plates, 15 screws to put it back together) and only resumed playing uke a couple of weeks ago. Hope to pick up guitar again in the next week or so. Knowing this beauty's arrival is just around the corner, will be very motivating indeed.

Next time I share it will be of the finished instrument!

Last edited by Ukulele_Eddie; 04-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Eddie. Yup, I am a happy builder. This is a nice change up for me,
aesthetically, because the color scheme is kind of reversed from the standard spruce top/rosewood back and sides. And, I have been holding on to that birdseye maple board for years, waiting to do something with it. Also, maple and cedar are both lightweight woods, so this baby is really a featherweight. I think it will be a good idea to keep it tethered down when it's not in its case.....
Old 03-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

That is looking really nice. I don't recall seeing a maple guitar with redwood before, but I am confused as to why?.... It seems they would work really well together both sonically and visually.

Looking forward to seeing it strung up.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Default This is great

Congrats on new guitar! I'm Frog, of Bens Acoustic endeavor "Frog and Toad".
I'm so lucky to be able to go into his shop and see his builds, and this was on the bench, and I stopped in my tracks. I've always loved dark tops and lite bodies. This is gonna look and sound magical. I cant wait to see it finished! I think Maple is an Incredible body wood.

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Wow...what a beautiful looking guitar! The contrast between the body and top is a sight to behold. I cannot wait to see the finished product and hear Ben's signature video of this Lion.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-17-2019, 11:39 AM

You can never go wrong with anything from Ben's workshop and I mean that sincerely. I proudly have 4 and they are all fantastic. Anyone coming to B.I.G. can check em all out. I have never seen a guitar with the light back and dark top. I am anxious to see how it turns out in the end. I know the sound will blow you away and might make you just put your Ukes down for quite a long time.

In case you can't tell, I am a huge fan of Wilborn guitars and if pushed, of Ben himself.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 PM

@nootis, it's actually a cedar top, but while spruce is often paired with maple, I've also seen redwood quite often, but cedar not as often.

@AZ Cardinal, @TomB'sox, it's great to hear such enthusiastic accolades from current owners! And AZ Cardinal, I'm a huge fan of maple and have a luthier friend who dubbed me "Maple Whore Monnier"! LOL. At present, I have a couple of Collings ukes with incredible quilted maple.

@Godfather. You and me both waiting for Ben unveil!!!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile What. A. Beauty.

Ben does it again!

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL woods and build!!!

I am a big fan of Maple and Cedar. See signature below...

Heal COMPLETELY AND FAST TOO!!!

Time to get busy on SIX strings

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Striking! As the proud owner of Jupitar, I am amazed each time I play it!

Congrats!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 PM

Well, let me introduce the "Inverse Lion" as Ben dubbed it. Here are build and finish photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmvB2sVa

Today, Ben did a video sample on Facebook. Here it is as posted on Youtube (trying to embed but also including the link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1nD920zWzY

I'm really pleased with the tone when Ben plays it with a flatpick. I "play" fingerstyle, so will be interesting to hear how it sounds that way and in the drivers seat when I receive it next week.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-18-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Congratulations! It's a gorgeous guitar and I love the cedar top with the maple. Ben's instruments are so player friendly and have wonderful tone. I have a Wilborn Lionesss (a gorgeous Koa/Redwood version of this model) and I'm finding it's very sensitive to a light finger style touch. I'm sure you'll be making great music with this guitar!

beth
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Thank, Beth.

I do love this guitar. I did have to change the strings as I was really struggling with the D'Addario 52-12’s, ph. bronze that Ben uses. I simply could not fret them cleanly. Maybe in time as I get better/strong, I can work back up to them.

So I put on some GHS silk & bronze 49-11's, which have made a big difference in playability for me. Here is my guitar teacher checking out the upper frets.

https://youtu.be/8e669WrUi5Y

This was recorded dry on my Samsung Galaxy S10 with its built-in (crappy) mic. Sounds like there is reverb on, but I swear there isn't.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Sounds quite nice. I bet your teacher really loves it and is jealous! The recording was pretty good just from your phone! Enjoy.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM

That sounds wonderful! I wouldn't have thought of putting silk & bronze strings on my Wilburn, but it sounds great! I never have liked D'Addario strings- they're too stiff for me. I played around with different options on my Lioness and love the tone and the feel of the Santa Cruz light strings. They're not cheap but they're holding up beautifully and they are easy to play. And the tone is really rounded and sweet with those strings.

This is such a uniquely gorgeous instrument!!!!

beth

Last edited by mountainguitar; 05-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Sounds wonderful!

I had the chance to play your guitar when I visited Ben's shop before he shipped it out to you. Such a great little axe with a sweet sound! Beautiful tone and easy playability...

Have fun and enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop