The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Clean??? Hahaha, good one John. I wish it was a LOT cleaner. If only I had a floor as clean as those NASCAR shops you see on TV where one could eat off the floor. But in the real world, professional saw dust makers create a LOT of mess in a hurry, don't we? Now if I only had one of those small blue Smurfs following me around all day long with a vacuum, then I could get a lot more work done.
Ah, the "McKnight Modesty" shines through again.

Don't let him fool ya. I've been to the McKnights close to a score of times, and the shop is always neat. Every tool is in its place. Every tool is clean. Working surfaces are clean. Materials are stashed carefully in prescribed cupboard spaces. And the wood room (ah, the wood room... my favorite place in all the world) would make the most obsessive-compulsive sufferer in the world step back, take a deep sigh, and feel as if she or he were in heaven, thanks to all the carefully-marked cubby-holes and labeled shelves and slots.

Btw, perhaps if we dunk Mary in some blue tint we'd recognize our Smurf.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Btw, perhaps if we dunk Mary in some blue tint we'd recognize our Smurf.
Great idea Kurt. Now if I could only get her to agree to that one
Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Now its time to install the carbon fiber truss braces. The braces redirects the rotational forces on the neck block to the stiffest area of the rim, the waist. These braces stop any distortion in the upper bout area of the body which in turn eliminate a neck reset in the future.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Most interesting. That's something like what the Larson brothers did, except their tube ran to the end block and split the sound hole visually. Your tubes are a much better solution.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM

Tim, have you at all noticed if those flying buttresses affect the tone in any way?
I'd like to incorporate those in my builds, but I did read one builder thought it might have affected his bass response.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szk View Post
Tim, have you at all noticed if those flying buttresses affect the tone in any way?
I'd like to incorporate those in my builds, but I did read one builder thought it might have affected his bass response.
If it does affect bass response why could the builder not shave the braces a little more (or other modifications) to compensate for it? I like the idea and am thinking of using them when I start building at a higher level. I think it is worthwhile making the guitar as stable for the long term, doubt that the struts will have much influence on the bass response in other than the lightest builds. My previous model airplane building tendencies almost wants to continue to the tail block with another set of tubes. But then I am stuck with which end to put the prop on.

In reality it would be no second thought. The prop would go on the tail block, the neck would serve as the boom to the headstock which will act as the tail of sorts. Need some balsa to try it out. So if you see a guitar flying around a local school yard...

Sorry for the silly diversion, everybody realizes it Should be a flying V not an acoustic, back to you Tim.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szk View Post
The way I use the buttress braces they stabilize and stiffen the entire upper bout area. IMO the sound board real estate above the sound hole is more responsible for treble response and the the vibrating surfaces south of the sound hole have a greater impact on mid and bass response.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Clean??? Hahaha, good one John. I wish it was a LOT cleaner. If only I had a floor as clean as those NASCAR shops you see on TV where one could eat off the floor. But in the real world, professional saw dust makers create a LOT of mess in a hurry, don't we? Now if I only had one of those small blue Smurfs following me around all day long with a vacuum, then I could get a lot more work done.

No, I've not posted a shop tour but that's not a bad idea. Now if I only had the time to put that vacuum down long enough to hold a camera
Actually.....

You might need a few of these though,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually.....

You might need a few of these though,
Great idea Barry. Unfortunately Santa did not bring me one this year ;(
Old 12-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Great idea Barry. Unfortunately Santa did not bring me one this year ;(
I'd be on board if they jumped on the Star Wars bandwagon and made it look like BB8 or R2-D2.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDdFuDwTZ8

Sorry to hear Santa squashed your dreams though, Tim. Maybe you could dress up your Shop Vac.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
I'd be on board if they jumped on the Star Wars bandwagon and made it look like BB8 or R2-D2.

Sorry to hear Santa squashed your dreams though, Tim. Maybe you could dress up your Shop Vac.
Great idea Neil, maybe you can talk Mary into decorating my shop Vac. LOL
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 PM

This is some weird (in a Ted voice) combination of an EXTREMELY insightful and enlightening build thread - And a bad Seinfeld episode (about "nothing").

I'll keep watching - just as I did with Seinfeld.

Can't wait to see the finished guitars

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 01-05-2016, 11:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

OK, thanks for the prompt Lizzard, we are back on topic and task now that he holidays are over. Shaping the back braces by hand on the same sanding dish that we use to profile the back arch into the rim. This ensures that the brace gluing surface will have an identical arch to match to the arch of the back plate. This in turn guarantees a perfect [stress free] glue joint of the back to the rim:

Hot Hide Glue is used on all critical "tone" joints:

1959 Sitka back braces glued to the graduated back plate:

Old 01-05-2016, 01:41 PM

What are the "TONE JOINTS" (no Marley references please) and which are the rest and what do you use?

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 01-05-2016, 03:23 PM

Tim is referring to a glue joint; the point of contact between two pieces of the guitar that are instrumental in the tone of the guitar. In this case, he is ensuring that the underside of the braces is arched to impart a slight dome shape to the back of the guitar body. Once snared, the two surfaces which will be glued together must be clean of any sawdust, grease, DNA (blood, sweat and tears) etc. The glue is organic though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop