The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Default Exotic woods: Where to find?

I am interested in building a little bit of a stockpile of some of the harder to find woods, but I am having a lot of trouble finding where exactly I can purchase some of these. I know that Braz must be found as old stock due to CITES but I was wondering where I might be able to find something a little odd like Pink Ivory in guitar or even back and side sized blanks.

Thanks in advance for clicking on my thread, I hope my first post is received well.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

RC Tonewoods, Allied are 2. If you go to officialluthiersforum.com They have many wood supplier sponsors and the sit it self is a great great resource.

You will find yourself on a waiting list looking for things like Pink Ivory. You may just want to advertise looking for such things. You are more likely to get uber rare wood from a builder with too much WAS Wood acquisition Syndrome than a dealer with top clients
Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Gilmer has pink ivory. Not very often in back/side size though. A couple sets popped up last year, and got bought pretty quickly. $800 each, if I recall. Too much for me, but I saved the photo at least

And the OLF is just www.luthiersforum.com... no "official" in the URL The sponsors there are indeed good sources. Also the classifieds section, although it's $12 per year... but if your WAS is as bad as mine, you'll save a lot more than that.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 PM

What part of the country do you live in? I used to do quite a bit of fine lumber shopping for furniture when I lived in Washington state.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM

You can find a non-luthier specialty hardwood shop and sort through their stock.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair