The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 AM

Default Taylor ES system feedback and sound issues.

Hello. I tried a 2015 Taylor 214e last nite at my gig hoping that it would be easy plug and play. It sounded thin, tinny, metallic, boomy, single note leads sounded terrible...I was disapointed. I usually use matrix infinity with zero issues and I love the tone. I plug straight in to a yamaha powered mixer. We play 4-5 nites a week so I like to keep it simple. Guess I'll be sticking to the Matrix for now. Anyone else disappointed in Taylor electronics?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
Hello. I tried a 2015 Taylor 214e last nite at my gig hoping that it would be easy plug and play. It sounded thin, tinny, metallic, boomy, single note leads sounded terrible...I was disapointed. I usually use matrix infinity with zero issues and I love the tone. I plug straight in to a yamaha powered mixer. We play 4-5 nites a week so I like to keep it simple. Guess I'll be sticking to the Matrix for now. Anyone else disappointed in Taylor electronics?
A 2015 should have the ES 1.3 system. Use a balanced cable - TRS plug to XLR, XLR into the mixer. You'll be surprised at the difference compared to using a straight guitar cable.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
A 2015 should have the ES 1.3 system. Use a balanced cable - TRS plug to XLR, XLR into the mixer. You'll be surprised at the difference compared to using a straight guitar cable.
does the es 2 system have this issue?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 AM

The first ES2 that came out in 2015 was pretty prone to feedback and it was very sensitiv, picking up the slightest touch against the body. I have a 2016 Taylor 914ce (the one with the armrest). During a showcase I did for Taylor one of their techs swapped the system in my guitar. Now the guitar has less Output, is very resistant against feedback and has a quite natural sound. Try to get in touch with a Taylor dealer and ask for a new pickup. The swap of the pickup was free for the original owner, don't know if it's free when you bought it second hand. Btw. I work at a German premium Taylor dealer.

Last edited by stringbound; 05-24-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: German autocorrection
Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Anyone else disappointed in Taylor electronics?
HI pa…

Yes, I have been disappointed in Taylor's electronics compared to others. That said, they can produce better tone than you describe. I've NEVER liked the systems which come in the Taylor 100-200 lineup…they are limited compared to the upscale version.

When my gigging partner bought my 714ce with a Fishman dual source installed from the factory, he added a K&K Pure mini to the rig.

When he runs them through a Raven preamp he gets great tone either from the built-in dual source, or using the K&K plus the internal mic, or just the K&K alone.

A simple feedback suppressor (big black plug in the sound hole) will solve most feedback problems from Taylors except on the most extremely loud stages (which are a challenge to all acoustic pickup systems known to man except magnetic).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
It sounded thin, tinny, metallic, boomy, single note leads sounded terrible.
That is how Taylors sound when plugged in.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I've NEVER liked the systems which come in the Taylor 100-200 lineup…they are limited compared to the upscale version.

Since around 2015 or 2016 the same exact ES2 system has been installed in all Taylor models, regardless of price. There is no difference between the 100 series and the 800 series in that regard.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI pa…

Yes, I have been disappointed in Taylor's electronics compared to others. That said, they can produce better tone than you describe. I've NEVER liked the systems which come in the Taylor 100-200 lineup…they are limited compared to the upscale version.

When my gigging partner bought my 714ce with a Fishman dual source installed from the factory, he added a K&K Pure mini to the rig.

When he runs them through a Raven preamp he gets great tone either from the built-in dual source, or using the K&K plus the internal mic, or just the K&K alone.

A simple feedback suppressor (big black plug in the sound hole) will solve most feedback problems from Taylors except on the most extremely loud stages (which are a challenge to all acoustic pickup systems known to man except magnetic).

I tried flipping the phase switch at last nites gig. helped alot with the boomy bass feedback. It was a loud packed outdoor beach bar. tone was better but still lacking in the single note lines. Strumming sounded fine.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
^^^^this! It makes a huge difference and with the boost in signal to the board you can turn down the onboard preamp a bit. In my experience this tames some of what you're describing as 'thin' or 'tinny' with this version of the Expressions system.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
does the es 2 system have this issue?
No, the ES2 is not a balanced system, uses a regular TS-TS instrument cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
That is how Taylors sound when plugged in.
Sorry, I call BS on this.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 05-29-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM

Well I gigged the taylor thursday, saturday sunday and monday. I tried the direct box thing and I'm still sounding harsh, tinny. There is also no pop or bloom with single note leads. Probably going to hang this one up and keep using my fishman matrix guitar. I tried. The guitar is great but the pickup system is not for me.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Do you have the ES that requires a stereo 1/4 to XLR and have you tried it as has been suggested? If not you may be only using half of the system and it will not sound good, much like you're describing.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Do you have the ES that requires a stereo 1/4 to XLR and have you tried it as has been suggested? If not you may be only using half of the system and it will not sound good, much like you're describing.
its a 2015 114e
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM

I've had the same problems with every Taylor I've owned. Unfortunately I didn't have experience with any other guitars or pickup systems. I just kept buying Taylors.

I fell victim to the marketing speak and the cult following of Andy Powers, Wood & Steel, etc. Spent a fortune and 3 years of frustration trying to fix problems with the ES-2.

Recently fired Taylor permanently and moved to a Gibson J-45 with magnetic pickup. All of the problems you mentioned went away. Plug and play. Happy camper now.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
its a 2015 114e
So you didn't try a balanced cable, as advised?

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification