The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 03:01 PM

Default AGF influenced guitar purchases.

How many guitars have you pursued/purchased based upon what you’ve read in this forum? I think in my case, It’s probably a good thing that I come across very few of the guitars that are highly regarded in here. Otherwise I’d probably be living in a storage unit full of guitars!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
How many guitars have you pursued/purchased based upon what you’ve read in this forum? I think in my case, It’s probably a good thing that I come across very few of the guitars that are highly regarded in here. Otherwise I’d probably be living in a storage unit full of guitars!
Two. To date. There may be more. I think I have a problem.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-29-2021, 03:13 PM

What this forum and others like it have done is raise my awareness of guitar brands and accessories that I wouldn’t come across locally, like Larrivee guitars, for example. With all the information we exchange here I’m much more alert when I travel and aware of what I’m looking at.

The most recent guitar purchase I made due to AGF connections is an Eastman J-45 copy from forum regular salsarev. It’s a great guitar and it was great dealing with the rev…

Wade Hampton Miller

whm
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
What this forum and others like it have done is raise my awareness of guitar brands and accessories that I wouldn’t come across locally, like Larrivee guitars, for example. With all the information we exchange here I’m much more alert when I travel and aware of what I’m looking at.

whm
Hence my problem.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Way too many. I played the same acoustic guitar for over 20 years before I started perusing this forum.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 PM

Well, I bought my Webber from a forum member ENTIRELY because of what I read on AGF. Had never seen or played ine, and didn’t know anyone who had seen or played one. That was a GREAT (perhaps lucky) find.

And while I bought both my Collings and my Voyage Air after playing many similar guitars, the opinions offered here are what alerted me to the possibility that a Collings might be a good fit for me, and that a Voyage Air was an excellent choice in travel guitars.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

The most recent guitar purchase I made due to AGF connections is an Eastman J-45 copy from forum regular salsarev. It’s a great guitar and it was great dealing with the rev…

Wade Hampton Miller

whm
I actually purchased a larrivee as well after hearing so much praise in here, but returned it because I hated the satin finish. Otherwise, it was a really nice guitar.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:44 PM

I'd have probably found them eventually, but the advice I've gotten here has certainly swayed one way or the other many times.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Pdubs
One.

A Recording King - ROS-626 - all solid, slot-head, 12 fret fingerboard, Mahogany/Spruce, pyramid bridge, 1¹³/₁₆" (or 1 ⅞") nut patterned after early 1900s 000-18 (some claim 1902 as the year). I'd think patterned after 1927 000 since that's the first year they officially made 000 in steel string models. And it IS a copy based on…

I added a side-port, and K&K pickup. Great little instrument!

I put a micrometer on my nut (today), and it's either a scant 1⅞" or a fat 1¹³/₁₆" wide. I don't know what the outside-to-outside measurement of 1⅞" string spacing at the nut should be. It's wide (comfortable for my hands) for a 6 string.

It originally had a V neck, and the original owner tried to sand it to a round bottom, and I'd describe it as a D profile (as opposed to C profile). Not baseball-bat-fat just plump. He also pulled out the label. Not sure if he intended to deceive for the purpose of more money selling it as 'something-else' or just wanted people to assume it was a Martin instead of Recording King. I bought it off e-bay from a guitar store in Indiana (by phone).

They only built this width nut for a couple years, and then began reducing the nut width (first to 1¾" then 1¹¹⁄₁₆").

One and only AGF influenced guitar purchase.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 07-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Hmm.

Alvarez 00 - I was gassing for a small bodied 12 fret slot head. It has a nice looking burst and while I was playing bluesy things it was fun to play. I had researched here, played some similar guitars in stores and then ordered from Zzounds.

Gibson J-45 - Everytime I had picked one up in a store the strings on the Gibsons were so old they could vote. I gave up on trying them in stores.
But I kept reading here over the years how people loved their J-45 and gave them another try in the stores and found a bunch of nice ones. Then of course I had to have one!

Avalon L2-320C - I was really interested in these after watching and listening online to covers here and videos on youtube. I was going back and forth between the Avalon and a Taylor 714 Lutz over spruce in a local store. The 714 was sweet, but the Avalon was my choice. What made it better was a former AGF sponsor had a model I was interested in so buying online was easy.

Furch Yellow (G22-23ish) - I gassed for a Furch cedar topped GA for years based on testimonials from owners here. Finally I got my chance to buy one. Initially I was not overly impressed with the cedar top - it didn't have an obvious mellow soft tone as I expected. It is slightly mellower than spruce, but not by a lot. I suppose over time the differences between it and spruce will show more. The fit and finish is outstanding and reminds me a lot of the Taylor 714 that I passed over. The neck profile is slightly different than my other guitars but not a deal killer.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard to say, been on here so long. Probably a LOT. But lately just buying what I can find and play locally, as the one things that trumps it all is how the guitar plays and feels in hand. No amount of specs, woods, recommendations can beat that first-hand knowledge. But I probably learned that here too...

This place has been invaluable, GAS-inducing, trivial, time-wasting...a bit of everything. But the last two guitars, 2 keepers, have been guitars I've found around here.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

My first Emerald was purchased pretty much entirely due to intelligence gathered here. Beyond Emerald’s own site, I couldn’t find any other similar source of informed comment and experience.

The next two were entirely my fault
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-29-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Most of my current set are due to this forum. I would likely not be aware of them otherwise and I find that my local selection even in a place like Seattle has very few of what is available on this forum in abundance.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:44 PM

I've been buying acoustic guitars for the last 12 or so years and I'm sure I didn't buy any of them without reading about, researching, or asking questions here. How many is hard to say but could be up to 20.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:48 PM

I believe all of my current guitars were influenced by AGF.

First was my recording king ROS-06; I never really had any knowledge of older-guitar designs such as the 12-fret 000 until I learned about them on AGF. Then came my Larrivee L-03R, a brand I've heard of but never really took the time to read into. I purchased it right here on the AGF classifieds. My Pono OM-10C followed shortly after, a brand I've never heard of at all.

My latest guitar (and possibly my favorite as well), my Webber OM, was purchased locally on Craiglist. I've seen praise for David Webber's guitar on AGF and was completely blown away upon testing it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion