The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 08:13 AM

I have owned both brands of guitars. The Yamaha is favored here by many. In my experience the Fender had a better sound, was more playable and structurally out lasted the Yamaha. The only way for you to know is to spend some time playing each guitar. Your preferences are your own. Guidance is great but the choice is yours.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

The FG and FS 800 now have, as far as I know, walnut fretboards. The 820 and 830 still have rosewood. I played an FG820 and several more expensive Yamahas and others at a music store away from home. It was the standout. But I was far from home and not ready to buy. Later, when I bought my FG800, I also tried an FG830 and several more expensive guitars. I preferred the FG800 to all of them. But that 820 still intrigues.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_guitarist View Post
I'm looking to purchase my first acoustic guitar and I have narrowed it down to the fender cc-60s and the yamaha fs800. I have watched countless videos on each and they both seem great but I was wondering what the necks feel like? I don't have the option to go out and try them as i live in in very rual area and Being an electric player I am worried about how comfortable they are. The acoustics I have been able to try have had huge necks compared to my electrics so any input will be helpful. thanks!
Hi Broke Guitarist -- Welcome to the AGF!

Yahama acoustics are very good, and generally are considered much better than Fender. Apart from the issue of how a neck feels, I think you would be much happier with the Yamaha. If you go with the Fender, and you really like playing acoustic guitar, you'll be looking for a new, "permanent" guitar; if you buy the Yamaha, you'll already probably have a friend for life.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I still have (by some miracle given all of my moves and other calamities over the years) an FG-420A-L that I bought in 1992. It’s nowhere near as nice as the current FGs that Yamaha is making, but it still sounds great for what it is. If I sold it, I’d probably get $75 for it tops, so I just hang onto it. Given what my Yamaha has been through in almost 30 years, I wouldn’t be concerned about the longevity of any of the current models—they are built as well if not better than the one I have.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:11 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I still have (by some miracle given all of my moves and other calamities over the years) an FG-420A-L that I bought in 1992. It’s nowhere near as nice as the current FGs that Yamaha is making, but it still sounds great for what it is. If I sold it, I’d probably get $75 for it tops, so I just hang onto it. Given what my Yamaha has been through in almost 30 years, I wouldn’t be concerned about the longevity of any of the current models—they are built as well if not better than the one I have.
Agreed. I have a couple of friends that have owned Yahama instruments for half of a century.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 AM

Broke_guitarist must be deep in thought. Or online looking at guitars. Probably both.

The suspense is killing me.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:17 AM

Anybody who asks me for advice, the answer is always Yamaha. IME, better re-sale too, when you're ready to trade up.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I owned a Yamaha in the late 90's - my 2nd steel string, and my biggest regret was selling it. I honestly can not remember the model of it, other than it was a great guitar. I've tried the Fender acoustics, and honestly, while Fender knows electrics and amps, they really don't know a lot in the way of acoustical guitars IMO.

Another option, and putting this out there, is the Kala brand parlor guitar. Comes priced with a gig bag. I know they are a ukulele company, but this is a great guitar that really does not need setup when you get it. My Mom got one when she decided to learn to play guitar in her late 60's and her instructor liked the tone of it. Here's a link. It's out of stock at the moment, but I am sure you could find it online https://kalabrand.com/products/parlor-guitar

Good luck no matter what you decide.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:10 PM

I was hoping Broke_guitarist was coming back to let us know what he decided on and his opinion of it. Maybe he still hasn't decided yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion