The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Decided to take live lessons

After 3 years of Jamplay and, primarily, Justinguitar.com I have decided to give the live teacher thing another go.

When I first picked up the guitar I had no idea what I was doing. I interviewed about 6 potential teachers and never really gelled with any of them.

Last week I had my first lesson with a guy I think will work well.

It maybe that I am just at a place in my learning where I have become more receptive to live training.

Funny thing though. Even though I have developed some pretty nice callouses over the last few years my fingers for the first time are actually hurting pretty bad. My wife seems to think that's because I am playing a lot more so I don't "'let the new teacher down" when working on my homework.

That very well may be the case. I guess if that is what is causing the sore fingers that's a good thing right?

Last edited by Sponserv; 05-15-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Its normal when you extend your average playing time. I get that when I start on a cool song or video lesson and spend hours on it over a weekend. My fingertips will hurt until Wednesday.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-16-2016, 01:25 PM

For many of us, our level of commitment (time & $$) will grow as we gain confidence in our ability to 'stick with it'. Some folks are willing to invest in live lessons right off, some later, some never. It does usually mean an increased investment; I hope yours is a very rewarding experience.

Regarding the sore fingers, I think your wife has hit it the nail right on the head. Lots of folks derive additional motivation from being in lessons.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:56 PM

Just my opinion but I kind of did what you did and I think it was helpful. When I first got my first guitar I purchased a instructional video set. I live way in the boondocks so traveling to someone for lessons was not what I wanted to do. The video lessons helped some but I just wasn't happy with how I was playing. Just happens we moved to Fla. to help with the new grand baby and I went to a jam one night. One guy there gave lessons so I gave it a try. That was a good move on my part. I think going through those videos prepared me and cut down on the basics the teacher didn't have to teach me. So I think that's a good way to go. I find the one major thing with a live lesson is someone is there when you make a mistake and can correct it. Good luck !
Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Glad to hear it, Sponserv. I think you've made a good decision. I think there is great value in some of the online learning sites, but there is no replacement for a hands-on teacher with whom you can actively engage. I bet you'll improve at a faster rate and be very pleased with your progress. A lot depends upon teacher/student personalities, so I hope you've found an instructor you'll enjoy.

I took lessons when I first started as a 13-year old and I've taken lessons after playing almost half a century. I wish you luck and I hope you'll let us know how it's going.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write