The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Default Toby walker question

I recently purchased his band in the hand and blues 101 series and am working my way through that. I hold my guitar the strumming way I guess you'd call it. Resting on my right leg for right handed player. It seems that Toby is able to hold the neck up while sitting. Is he (are you) using a strap or elevating your left leg and resting the guitar on that leg? In short what way is he achieving that guitar position and what are some ways you guys do it? I'm probably gonna purchase a strap for when I'm standing so I'm thinking that would work but it seems he doesn't use one.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Toby will probably reply here shortly, but here is my take:

Toby did learn classical guitar (if I remember correctly) so that position is likely natural to him.

Toby plays live standing with a strap, again, making that position natural.

I personally play standing as well, so I use a strap, and even without a classical backgroud I find it more natural to keep the guitar headstock pointed up a bit. I am also comfortable playing with the headstock out laterally when I sit, but when there is a difficult part requiring a lot of shifting, I'll reposition with it up higher. Then angle helps me also with properly forming barre chords. Bottom line, I practice like I want to play (standing), so I keep the guitar angled with a strap up when I practice (I personally hate holding the guitar on my left leg in the classical position).
Old 05-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I play seated, guitar on left knee or I wear a strap with the neck up. I'm working on the "band" as well.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I play seated, guitar on left knee or I wear a strap with the neck up. I'm working on the "band" as well.
@TBman: Nice hope your enjoying it as much as I am... Question for you if you don't mind are you using it in combination to anything else (one of the packs for example) in order to better play some songs? As of right now I'm just using it on its own and learning some licks over a 12 bar blues but not really learning songs. Any insight into if I should use in combination with a pack? I guess I have to figure out my end goal

obviously Toby or anyone else that has experience with this lesson plan feel free to give me your opinion !!!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
@TBman: Nice hope your enjoying it as much as I am... Question for you if you don't mind are you using it in combination to anything else (one of the packs for example) in order to better play some songs? As of right now I'm just using it on its own and learning some licks over a 12 bar blues but not really learning songs. Any insight into if I should use in combination with a pack? I guess I have to figure out my end goal

obviously Toby or anyone else that has experience with this lesson plan feel free to give me your opinion !!!
I'm going to concentrate just on this, then go back to Toby's Finger picking Freedom dvd set. I'm more interested in knowing what I'm doing, but playing the songs are fun too. (I like to improvise though and write my own stuff more than covers)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-12-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
I recently purchased his band in the hand and blues 101 series and am working my way through that. I hold my guitar the strumming way I guess you'd call it. Resting on my right leg for right handed player. It seems that Toby is able to hold the neck up while sitting. Is he (are you) using a strap or elevating your left leg and resting the guitar on that leg? In short what way is he achieving that guitar position and what are some ways you guys do it? I'm probably gonna purchase a strap for when I'm standing so I'm thinking that would work but it seems he doesn't use one.
Hi Benny,

I elevate my left leg as a result of sitting on a Costco Step Stool, which turns out to have the perfect angle. When I perform (standing) I achieve the exact same angle with the use of a guitar strap.

Years ago when I took classical guitar lessons my teacher told me that it mattered little which leg you raise, as long as your body is holding the guitar as opposed to your hands. Here's video I made all about that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write