The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Pls help with flatpicking - trying to get faster and louder!

I've found that relaxing my grip on the pick helps me play faster. Howeve in doing so, I have sacrificed volume, big time. Any tips on keeping the speed and volume up? And any general tips on geting faster?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Attack angle is pretty important. Your pick should be striking the string at about 45 degrees. Pick material and bevel shape play a role. Best combo of the two is probably a Blue Chip pick. Very slick on the strings and certainly capable of high volumes.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 PM

You might try a thinner pick like a .60mm Dunlop nylon. For faster strumming you can still grip it tight and let her rip.....
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

A good general rule of thumb would be to SLOW DOWN in your practice... I mean, unbelievably slow, like 50 b.p.m. on a metronome, practicing 1/4 notes, 1/8ths, triplets, 16th notes, 16th note triplets, 32nd notes... the last two ONLY when you can play the preceding ones cleanly, clearly and evenly... always with an alternating "up and down" stroke pattern with the flatpick. (You won't always choose to use that alternating method for everything you play, but you MUST get it "synched" so it is at your disposal when needed!)

Something very interesting happens to the human machine when we practice REALLY slowly... when you come back to speed, everything just flows together!

You must take the slow stuff seriously, though, trying to always play perfectly with clear tone and good volume...

There really is no "short cut" to develop the type of exacting certainty necessary to flatpick rapidly...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
A good general rule of thumb would be to SLOW DOWN in your practice... I mean, unbelievably slow, like 50 b.p.m. on a metronome, practicing 1/4 notes, 1/8ths, triplets, 16th notes, 16th note triplets, 32nd notes... the last two ONLY when you can play the preceding ones cleanly, clearly and evenly... always with an alternating "up and down" stroke pattern with the flatpick. (You won't always choose to use that alternating method for everything you play, but you MUST get it "synched" so it is at your disposal when needed!)

Something very interesting happens to the human machine when we practice REALLY slowly... when you come back to speed, everything just flows together!

You must take the slow stuff seriously, though, trying to always play perfectly with clear tone and good volume...

There really is no "short cut" to develop the type of exacting certainty necessary to flatpick rapidly...

--

Excellent post ... I'm doing exactly what you wrote, and it is true, so true
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Practice floating your hand if you brace it. This builds up control and spatial memory and when you brace your hand you will fly.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-08-2016, 07:12 AM

Probably reiterating a lot of what others are saying:

1. If you're bracing with your hand/heel, don't. Instead, raise it a bit and pivot more from the elbow. Watch Doc Watson's picking motion for a good example.

2. Practice with a metronome, start slow, then increase it a bit. I know this sounds backwards, but when I use a metronome for speed drills, I don't think about timing (which is what a metronome is for), but I think about keeping up with it, and the timing happens naturally.

3. A thicker pick works for me with increasing speed. Another thing that sounds backwards, but a thin pick that bends...you have to push it through the strings, so in a sense, the pick is always a little behind. Play a short run very, very slowly, at volume, and watch a thin pick - you'll see it bending.

A thick one, though, is able to better translate the force of your hand right through to the string; it can keep up. I had similar speed issues early on, and kept using thinner picks, and it just got worse. Nowadays, I play with a 1.5mm pick and it works wonderfully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write