The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM

Be sure to consciously release any tension you are holding as you change chord. After playing a chord, say C chord, lift your fingers extremely slowly off the strings, keeping them in position. Do they shake or tremble a bit? Probably. And this is a sign of tension. That tension will work against you when trying to move your fingers into a new chord shape. You need to recognise it and let go.

Don't worry, I didn't even find it myself until years down the track. I was holding all this tension in my left hand that I didn't even know I had, but inevitably it caused me to hit a brick wall once I started trying to improve. I still get it now when I'm concentrating on something else in particular like my rhythm or learning a new piece (old habits die hard).

It's like clenching your jaw, you probably do it all the time without realizing. The tension feels normal and thus invisible until you suddenly realise your clenching and release it.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena's Dad View Post
Hi,
Everyone.....Please tell me there are some of you guys still having trouble with chord changes...after almost 1 year....I am 53 and still struggle on basic chord changes.....It seems that as soon as a change is happening.....it seems like i freeze and cant make the change.....please guys.......i need help...
Here's what you should do.. Just sit with the guitar whilst watching TV. Don't even look at the fretboard and don't strum it. Just sit there with the guitar in your lap. With your fretting hand find a series of chords that you're interested in. Make changes amongst the chords whilst watching TV. Just 'feel' your way around to various chords. Like maybe spend two or three seconds finding and fretting an Em, then move to a D major for three or four seconds, then maybe a C major. Just play with those three for a while. Then mix in an open G major when you get comfortable. The key is to make this a non-thinking exercise and ingrain it in your subconscious. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena's Dad View Post
Hi,
Everyone.....Please tell me there are some of you guys still having trouble with chord changes...after almost 1 year....I am 53 and still struggle on basic chord changes.....It seems that as soon as a change is happening.....it seems like i freeze and cant make the change.....please guys.......i need help...
===

I started a practice method in the last two weeks which seems to be helping me.

I play a chord ,,, such as G maj. Play chord, with one strum. count the next 3 beats as I move to the next chord, so I am ready for the downbeat of the following chord.

I do this very slow ...

It is really helping

Try it
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

When I first started I learned slow songs.

I had a John Denver song book that showed his finger picking patterns and I practiced on some of his slow songs, and the next thing you knew I was making the chord changes.

I don't recall how quickly it all came together I think it varies from person to person. The key is do not give up. Stick with it and it will come.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write