The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Default Daniel Roberts Minstrel L-00 LG (#002) $old

Custom Dan Roberts Minstrel Guitar

The Minstrel is, “built in the spirit of the best of the 30’s Gibson L-00 and 40’s LG models”.
Dan Roberts is a master luthier who worked with Flatiron/Gibson and then Santa Cruz for 25+ years. Dan hand tunes the tops of his guitars using his selective voicing technique. He was recently selected for the Buddy Holly J-45 commemorative series. You can find a link to his website and facebook site below. His most recent builds for the likes of Eric Clapton and Ronnie Wood are depicted there. I believe if you search the facebook archives you can find the build on this Minstrel. It was one of the first batch, Serial # 002.

Dan offers two Minstrel varieties, modern and vintage - this is the Vintage and includes.
1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 saddle spacing.
Adirondack Top
Honduras Mahogany back and sides
Top binding
Brazilian rosewood fingerboard
Brazilian rosewood bridge
Ebony nut
Bone saddle
Vintage sunburst

The Sunburst actually has a dark wine tint that I tried to catch in additional photos in direct light. It appears closer to black in low light. I also tried to catch the phenomenal detail and quality wood choices of the Brazilian rosewood and the Honduran Mahogany.
There is some minor superficial finish checking that extends out from the bridge but does not align with any wood grain, seam, etc. I tilted the guitar to capture it in 2 pics below, but generally not noticeable. Other than that, there are a few typical dings from a 10 year old guitar, but is otherwise 100%. Glad to send more photos upon request.

Plays and sounds fantastic. Plenty of volume and tons of tone. It’s a work of art.
Dan has plenty of info on his website to help explain his philosophy and build process for the Minstrel. http://www.danielrobertsstringworks.com/

The present cost for this build with the upgraded brazilian bridge and fretboard as well as sunburst would be $5K+.
This guitar is a thing of beauty in every way and frankly, it needs to find a more worthy home, as I cannot do it justice.

SOUND CLIPS

http://danielrobertsstringworks.com/...tyle_Blues.mp3

http://danielrobertsstringworks.com/...te%20Denny.mp3

http://danielrobertsstringworks.com/mp3/Out_There.mp3

These clips are from the drstringworks site. There are several more there.

NOW. $2875 shipped and insured within the Con. US.

[url=https://postimg.cc/v4FvwCr5][/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/bs3q7jcB][/url

Last edited by biscuithead; 06-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Incredible guitars. Don't think I'll ever part with mine. IMHO Daniel Roberts doesn't get nearly as much attention as he should, probably because he doesn't turn out hundreds of guitars a year. Of late he's been building for folks like Clapton, Ronnie Wood and Stevie Nicks.

If you want an LG-2 inspired guitar, grab this now. It's a GREAT deal.

And to the OP, GLWS.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Roberts Minstrel

Appreciate your feedback JohnnyGT.

Also, I will be taking some improved photos to show off the wood and the work. Keep an eye out for an update, folks.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Minstrel

Bump to the top.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM

This guitar is a short scale.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Added a pic.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Never heard of this builder before this post. After doing a little research this has become one of the more intriguing guitars on the forum for me. I encourage anyone not familiar with Daniel Roberts to go to his website. Really good sound clips, btw....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 PM

I guarantee any buyer will be more than satisfied with this guitar.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:41 PM

As the original owner of this instrument I enthusiastically give it extremely high praise. I would buy it back, except after I sold it first time I had major withdrawals and purchased another Roberts Minstrel.

Dan Roberts is as good as it gets in the luthier world and an incredibly nice and humble guy. The first 5 Minstrels (this one was #2) were a custom run for some of us on little brother blues forum. The intent, in addition to getting great instruments, was to help Dan launch his own Roberts label brand of guitars. Funny world, that was 10 years ago and now Dan is building for guys like Clapton. For those that don't know, prior to last 10 years doing his own thing, Dan spent the previous 30 years building and managing entire production for Gibson and then Santa Cruz. He also handled most of Santa Cruz repair work and built most of their archtops.

Someone is going to go hog wild with this #2 Minstrel. I now own #11 and if someone will buy it, I'd be happy to have #2 back in the stable.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Support bump for this little beauty....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 AM

Dan Roberts is presently building a guitar for Joe Walsh. Folks, if you havent checked out this builder, you should!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Moving on up...
Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 AM

Very pretty guitar!
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 PM

Thanks. Some interested AGF's, but its still here.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:48 AM

I am selling this guitar to fund an amp, as I play more electric these days. On the amp, I have a good deal available, so you do, as well. If the amp goes, the price on the Dan Roberts guitar will too. Thanks, Steve
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars