The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Look at the Fishman Tonedeq. Exactly what you are after.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...p-with-effects
I looked really hard at that one, I'm sure it's a great unit. I wasn't sure how the feedback control worked... it's a phase switch? My guitar has one, and I was always under the impression a sweepable notch control is what is used for feedback control?

Anyway, I almost bought the ToneDEQ, but the modeling on the Zoom AC-3 intrigued me, and I liked the tuner/mute as well for live use. I still have guitars without built-in tuners, and I HATE the clip-on ones.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I looked really hard at that one, I'm sure it's a great unit. I wasn't sure how the feedback control worked... it's a phase switch? My guitar has one, and I was always under the impression a sweepable notch control is what is used for feedback control?

Anyway, I almost bought the ToneDEQ, but the modeling on the Zoom AC-3 intrigued me, and I liked the tuner/mute as well for live use. I still have guitars without built-in tuners, and I HATE the clip-on ones.
Yeah,, The ToneDEQ sounds and works awesome. Excellent for live shows.

I don't think the Phase switch takes place of variable Notch.

But the effects and compressor work really well.. Super easy to dial in too.

I played with mine live several times in past weeks, never had an issue with feedback at all. The Low Cust works extremely well too. I usually had it switched to 80 or 160Hz.. Maybe that is why I never had issue?

But for your want list.. It doesn't have a tuner/mute switch.

(side note, I am selling my ToneDeq and bought the Soulmate..Needed more control over more effects).
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 AM

I have thought seriously about getting a dedicated acoustic effects box, but truthfully, I haven't yet found a compelling reason. I am currently using a Tech 21 RK5, and I've found that the SansAmp selection offers me a significant amount of tone and feedback control, with a decent reverb thrown in. There is also a good delay section. I leave the "OMG" and boost switches alone when I'm playing acoustically. For my particular needs, it's a useful, highly-portable solution for both electric and acoustic. For the past couple of weeks, I've been playing around with a Blackstar ID:Core beam amp (has modes for electric, acoustic, and bass guitars) and with the RK5 this gives me pretty much everything I need for a small gig.

At the end of the month I have a wedding to attend up in Santa Rosa, and I'll get a chance to try this rig out with some cousins up there in a group setting. I'm planning on taking a Journey Overhead - which has a pickup similar to a K&K (i.e. no preamp) so I really need the SansAmp for tweaking the tone, and either my LP Special with P90s or my Reverend Sensei Jr (also P90). I'm pretty confident that this little rig will do fine, and in the meantime I'm tweaking my settings so that I have a good acoustic sound, a good clean electric sound and a nice crunch. I figure those three tones will suffice for anything that gets thrown at me.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
I'm looking for the above. I've played with the Boss VE-08 and have looked at the owner's manual for the Boss AD-10.

Here's the wish list: EQ, feedback control, reverb, chorus, mute. That's it. The above, while loaded with features, menu's options, etc, are overkill for my simple wants.

I already have a TC Helicon Singer 2 which is perfectly adequate for vocals.
Want a simple acoustic box with all those features.

My searches always come up with either the Fishman, which doesn't have the effects, or the AD-10 or VE-08 with the inherent complexity, weight, etc.

Thanks
Scott
Take a look at the Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig. I like mine.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM

I have the Transit A, and love it. It provides the functions I wanted without a lot of extra buttons, effects, loopers, etc..., is easy to use, and seems to be built like a tank.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM

I've owned the ToneDeq and Fly Rig. For what it does the ToneDeq sounded better to me, but since I play standing up most of these pedals have the foot switches too close together for me to reliably hit while singing.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Jack,
Don't see a mute button on the fishman. If it had one, it would be at or near the top of the list.
It essentially mimics the effects/EQ on my loudbox, which I like. I have the mute foot switch/effects b switch for the Loudbox. This will be used with house systems.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 AM

Jake,
Heard Doyle Dykes the other night at a fest in Bozeman. He played three different guitars. Squatted down a couple times to do some minor box fiddling. Took a look, it was the Zoom Acoustic Creator AC-3. It DOES have all the things I want if I plug in to a house system or PA without going through my Loudbox Artist for the minimal effects I use. Loopers are way overkill for me except to practice solo's at home (got a stand alone boss for that) and my singing, which is as always a 60 year work in progress, the TC Harmony Singer 2 works OK. While it is "another box" (meh) it provides easy peasy adjustments, and I got some positive feedbck on it this past weekend on a cowboy song I did.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Got a Zoom AC-3 on the way from GC. We shall see.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:45 PM

This one doesn't have feedback control, but has some features you might like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0ZX82FPL&psc=1
Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Jake,
Heard Doyle Dykes the other night at a fest in Bozeman. He played three different guitars. Squatted down a couple times to do some minor box fiddling. Took a look, it was the Zoom Acoustic Creator AC-3. It DOES have all the things I want if I plug in to a house system or PA without going through my Loudbox Artist for the minimal effects I use. Loopers are way overkill for me except to practice solo's at home (got a stand alone boss for that) and my singing, which is as always a 60 year work in progress, the TC Harmony Singer 2 works OK. While it is "another box" (meh) it provides easy peasy adjustments, and I got some positive feedbck on it this past weekend on a cowboy song I did.
Cool! AC-3 Is one of the only pedals I have not owned.. Maybe next on my list.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 PM

Between this thread and the one started by ruger9 I decided to jump on the bandwagon and ordered my AC-3 last weekend. It should be in my hands before the end of the week.

As others have said, it seems to check most of the boxes. Looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend.

I've been playing acoustic for years, but recently I have been finding more situations where amplification would be nice.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Definitely digging my AC-3, no regrets.

Not going to get anything "better"... "better" would be a different mic system on the guitar at this point (some other than, or in addition to, the Fishman UST)

Great EQing options (including modeling)
Compressor
Reverb, PLUS reverb, delay, chorus, etc
Boost (which I'll never use)
Anti-FB
Mute/Tuner
XLR out (direct box)

It's got everything but a looper. But I would think for looper guys, they would want a full-function looper anyway, not a simple one that would be added onto a multifx/DI pedal.

The modeling I'm still exploring, but it seems really cool: set up to keep my guitar sounding like itself, it's remarkably accurate. Then if I want something more J45-y for strumming, I literally just change the Target Guitar to J45, and voila! More body, more Gibson-y sounding. Actually works really well.

And... it actually works REALLY well with my electric guitar amp: a Fender Supersonic 22 (which the clean channel is a copy of the Deluxe Reverb).
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Default AC-3 vs VE-08

AC-3 arrived a couple days ago. Connected to TC Harmony Singer 2, into the Loudbox Artist. Used only effects and EQ on AC-3. Relatively short learning curve. The compressor was an eye opener vs straight into the Artist.Just took a touch to smooth out the sound. The guitar models work. The automatic feedback control must have worked, as I had no issues with the K and K equipped CEO-7, which I sometimes have. Easy-peasy learning curve, the mute/tuner is nice. Noodled around with various settings, reverbs, etc. Can go out to amp for monitoring and out to house with post eq signal, and TC Harmony staight to house no fiddling. I think I'd be comfortable at my next open mic this Tuesday with it after an hour. The guitar models work.
Got out the VE-08 which I haven't used in a couple weeks. One or two less wire clutter, depending on line outs (amp only, amp and house, house and house with both vocals and guitar). To do that, though requries drilling down into menus according to the owner's manual. Mi esposa says I sound better vocal wise throgh the VE-08. The guitar effects are not the same, but similar. To change effects and prarmeters requires button pushing and then knob twiddling. The effects are nice and clean, though. The resonance control is nice. Is that a Boss only thing?
I would want to have crib notes on stage for a while until my brain wrapped around the way the engineers, translated by Chinese into Engrish for the manual, thought about menu's, symbols, order, of operations,etc.
I'm leaning the AC-3 and TC Harmony. No knock on the VE-08. I'm just to lazy I think to learn and remember all the button pushing. I'd rather remember the picture of knob positions for the two guitars I use.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

What’s the most important need here? Here’s a different approach, for me EQ is the most important so I’d suggest a Grace Design Alix (https://gracedesign.com/products/ins...plifiers/alix/) and you get all the EQ tweaking you need, you can add a tuner if you wish and I’d suggest you find the reverb and chorus you like and add that to effects chain. Caveat, it is expensive but it is truly pro level and you won’t regret it. I know since I use it’s big brother (Felix) for that very reason and add in the other effects (that I like rather than what is included).
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification