The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Confused on an arrangement of "Michelle"

I have a piece of music, "Michelle" by the Beatles, that Giuseppe Torrisi arranged. I put the link in his name, so you can go to his web site where he has some free and some paid songs for you. Good stuff, a lot of Classical, some Italian, and a lot of modern stuff as well.
At any rate, it's in 4/4 time, with a "start" repeat at the first bar, then at the 6th bar there's a 1 over top indicating first time thru and the end repeat sign. After that, at bar 7 is the 2 over the music showing the 2nd ending of that section and the music rolls all the way thru to the end of the piece at bar 19.
Now, at bar 17, there's a 1 over the music showing a first ending, then on bar 18, a 2 over it showing the 2nd ending. But, there's no repeat sign anywhere to be had after the end repeat at bar 6.
BUT!!! There is a Coda at bar 16. But there are no other references to that anywhere on the sheet.
Anyone have any ideas how to deal with this? I put the first page in Guitar Pro, I'm going to play it there for a while to get a feel for it. Shouldn't be too hard, but dang, Guiseppi, yer makin' it tough on a guy. Psst, he is a nice guy and good player.

Here's the link to the sheet music. Notice there is one part on page 1 and another on page 2. And playing them together, I noticed the first beat has a C# on one guitar, and a C on the other. Does this work well? Kinda interesting sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybfjqemqiu...on%29.pdf?dl=0

Since it's in Guitar Pro, here's the link to that. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2oo7oyc4h...te%29.gpx?dl=0

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 05-09-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Your link is broken.
Perhaps Segno should have been used instead of Coda.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks, Rick. I corrected the links.
I took your advice and put the Segno at the first bar, put Da Segno at the 17th bar.
I also put 1 and 3 at bar 6 and 2 and 4 at bar 7 for the repeat parts.
It seems to sound good, but I need to shut it down for the night and listen tomorrow.
Thanks again, Rick.

Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 05-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
I have a piece of music, "Michelle" by the Beatles, that Giuseppe Torrisi arranged. I put the link in his name, so you can go to his web site where he has some free and some paid songs for you. Good stuff, a lot of Classical, some Italian, and a lot of modern stuff as well.
At any rate, it's in 4/4 time, with a "start" repeat at the first bar, then at the 6th bar there's a 1 over top indicating first time thru and the end repeat sign. After that, at bar 7 is the 2 over the music showing the 2nd ending of that section and the music rolls all the way thru to the end of the piece at bar 19.
Now, at bar 17, there's a 1 over the music showing a first ending, then on bar 18, a 2 over it showing the 2nd ending. But, there's no repeat sign anywhere to be had after the end repeat at bar 6.
Yes, he's left out the repeat barline at end of bar 17. My guess is it should go back to the beginning, and go all the way through again, ending with bars 18-19 second time.

What's debatable is whether you play bars 1-6 twice on that second time through, or go straight to the bridge again.

The coda sign is also mysterious, and seems to be unnecessary, at least if you just end on bars 18-19. Otherwise, you would be repeating the whole thing again after bar 18 (assuming a missing repeat barline there), and then going to 19 after the coda sign (which is not marked as a coda anyway) - that seems excessive. (And if that was the plan, then bar 19 could simply be a 3rd time ending.)

My suggestion would be to listen to the Beatles original and take tips from their arrangement - with the exception of the ending of course, because theirs just fades out.
Quote:
Here's the link to the sheet music. Notice there is one part on page 1 and another on page 2. And playing them together, I noticed the first beat has a C# on one guitar, and a C on the other. Does this work well? Kinda interesting sound.
Not sure what you mean. Bar 1 has C#s, and bar 2 has C naturals. That's correct. (An accidental applies to all following notes on that space or line for the rest of the bar; and is then cancelled in the following bar.)

BTW, he's made a mistake in the tab in bar 6. That 1st fret on 2nd string should be 5th on 3rd string (same as the beginning of the bar).
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks, Jon.
I'll look at it as soon as I get home this evening.
About the C#. There were 2 pages of music in the pdf file. It appears that they were to be 2 guitar parts played simultaneously. On guitar 1 there is a C# and on guitar 2 there is a C natural. Both playing on the first beat of the song.
I appreciate the help ya'll have given me.

And I later on put a Da Segno at the first bar (I think I'm saying it right) and D.S. at the 17th bar.

Based on that, the music goes from bar 1 to 6, repeats 1-5 and skips to 7 ending at 17.
Returns to 1-6, then repeats 1-5 again, skips to 7 and goes to the end.
(I'll listen to see if I need that 2nd repetition.)
Bob
Old 05-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Jon.
I'll look at it as soon as I get home this evening.
About the C#. There were 2 pages of music in the pdf file. It appears that they were to be 2 guitar parts played simultaneously. On guitar 1 there is a C# and on guitar 2 there is a C natural. Both playing on the first beat of the song.
OK, well that's definitely wrong! The first chord is major, so - in this key - that should be C#.
(On the PDF you linked, it's C# on both pages, which is why I misunderstood.)
Old 05-10-2016, 04:42 PM

You're correct. It's C# on both. As a matter of fact, the 2nd page is the same as the first, but with notation only. My eyes must have been tired, or I didn't add the sharp sign when I entered the 2nd one - that has to be manually done, naturally. As it turned out, it wasn't necessary at all to deal with the 2nd page. My face is red.
Thanks again, and sorry for that bit of confusion.
At least it got my brain thinking of things.

Last edited by naccoachbob; 05-10-2016 at 05:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write