The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Default Different fingering for the F chord I can do

I decided to learn the full F chord and was having a bit of a problem. For some reason the hand angle I needed to after barring the 6 strings at first fret caused my pinky finger to touch and mute the string under it (g string). The rest rang out clear.

So while messing around I switched strings with my ring finger and pinky finger. Even though my smallest finger higher than my ring finger now, I can do it clean.

I have to get it up to speed changing to it from other chords of course but as is, it's still pretty easy to slide it up the fret board.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Not sure what you said but this picture is the typical way to finger F barre:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Traylor View Post
I decided to learn the full F chord and was having a bit of a problem. For some reason the hand angle I needed to after barring the 6 strings at first fret caused my pinky finger to touch and mute the string under it (g string). The rest rang out clear.

So while messing around I switched strings with my ring finger and pinky finger. Even though my smallest finger higher than my ring finger now, I can do it clean.

I have to get it up to speed changing to it from other chords of course but as is, it's still pretty easy to slide it up the fret board.
The only downside I would point out is that in transitions from 1st position F to C chords, the ring finger on the 5th string/3rd fret stays put, which helps make the transitions quicker. Those anchor positions can aid in smoother, more accurate chord changes.

If you're mostly using barre chords up and down the neck, then your alternate fingering doesn't disadvantage you, that I can see.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:40 AM

The F bar chord is actually the hardest one you can learn. The frets are the widest in first position.

So try to learn a B bar chord instead, in seventh position. Much easier place to start! Once you get that one down, the F bar chord will be much easier.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsk View Post
The F bar chord is actually the hardest one you can learn. The frets are the widest in first position.

So try to learn a B bar chord instead, in seventh position. Much easier place to start! Once you get that one down, the F bar chord will be much easier.
That's good advice when sticking to the 'E' of the CAGED system shape. Other barre chords are harder than the 1st-fret F chord.

For that one barre chord shape, it is harder at the first fret.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Traylor View Post

I also finger barre chords the same way. Not all the time and not for the same reasons. Another variation, if you have a narrow neck, is to hold both strings down with the third finger, leaving the little finger free for what ever you want.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write