The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Organic Sounds Select Guitars's Avatar
Organic Sounds Select Guitars Organic Sounds Select Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,271
Default Ain’t No Sunshine instrumental, 6 and 12 strings

Always loved this great Bill Withers tune. This is more of an interpretation than a cover. I posted a version here a couple of years ago, my one and only post that included singing. After listening again recently, I decided to expand the guitar parts and eliminate the singing. I’m using my Kopp K-35, and for the heck of it I also recorded with my Seagull 12 string. For those who have an interest in comparing: does anyone prefer this on a 12 string? Thanks as always for listening and comments!



Here’s the Seagull:
__________________
Larry

Organic Sounds Select Guitars
YouTube Channel
(Previously known around here as LWSog)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 AM
reeve21 reeve21 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 3,422
Default

Very nice, Larry. Tasty licks and great variation in the dynamics. I went into this pretty sure I would prefer the six string, since that is my normal default, but I ended up liking them both very much. Great job!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 AM
islandguitar's Avatar
islandguitar islandguitar is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,245
Default

Oh man, Larry, these were great!! I ended up liking the 12'er! The six string gives you some great bass, but the additional complexity of the 12 over all the melody really does it for me. (your playing does the job!).
You've got some great chops.......loved them both.
All the best from Rhode Island, hope you are doing well.
Fred
__________________
1993 Bourgeois JOM
1967 Martin D12-20
2007 Vines Artisan- Cedar/Quilted Sapele
2014 Doerr Legacy- LS Redwwood/Cocobolo
2013 Bamburg FSC- Carpathian/Macassar Ebony
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret- Adirondack/Honduran Mahogany


______________________________
www.soundcloud.com/island-guitar
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Organic Sounds Select Guitars's Avatar
Organic Sounds Select Guitars Organic Sounds Select Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Very nice, Larry. Tasty licks and great variation in the dynamics. I went into this pretty sure I would prefer the six string, since that is my normal default, but I ended up liking them both very much. Great job!
Thanks Bob! I sure appreciate the nice words. I did the 12 string version mainly out of curiosity, and liked it a little more than I expected. Thanks for commenting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Oh man, Larry, these were great!! I ended up liking the 12'er! The six string gives you some great bass, but the additional complexity of the 12 over all the melody really does it for me. (your playing does the job!).
You've got some great chops.......loved them both.
All the best from Rhode Island, hope you are doing well.
Fred
Hi Fred, thanks! I appreciate it, and am somewhat surprised! I don’t play the 12 string much, trying to find the right use for it. It’s a bit of a trade off for me with this bluesy type of playing - more complex sound, but less subtlety and feel.
I’m healing slowly, thanks for the good wishes, hope you’re well out there in R.I.!
__________________
Larry

Organic Sounds Select Guitars
YouTube Channel
(Previously known around here as LWSog)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 13,887
Default

Nicely done. I like the more blusey tone of the six string better on this tune.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 34,691
Default

Wow Larry!

Both performances were great, a lot of fun watching and listening to you.

I'm not sure I have a favorite there, because both performances sounded great. I really liked the clarity of the Kopp 6-string, but the 12-string had its own cool character, as well.

You get some very nice, bluesy tones out of those guitars. You must have pretty strong fingers! Very nice - very well done!

I hope you are healing well.

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM
SoCalSurf SoCalSurf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 807
Default

Loved both versions of this song, Larry. What a great diversion from your recovery!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Organic Sounds Select Guitars's Avatar
Organic Sounds Select Guitars Organic Sounds Select Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nicely done. I like the more blusey tone of the six string better on this tune.
Thanks Derek! I think I agree with you on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow Larry!

Both performances were great, a lot of fun watching and listening to you.

I'm not sure I have a favorite there, because both performances sounded great. I really liked the clarity of the Kopp 6-string, but the 12-string had its own cool character, as well.

You get some very nice, bluesy tones out of those guitars. You must have pretty strong fingers! Very nice - very well done!

I hope you are healing well.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn! Strong fingers are a job requirement for me. Thanks for the nice words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Loved both versions of this song, Larry. What a great diversion from your recovery!
Hey Lenny, thanks!
__________________
Larry

Organic Sounds Select Guitars
YouTube Channel
(Previously known around here as LWSog)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2019, 01:28 AM
rémy64 rémy64 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,010
Default

For me with Kopp K-35 is better
__________________
O Romantique jean-marie Fouilleul
00 jean-marie Fouilleul
OM thomas Féjoz
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Organic Sounds Select Guitars's Avatar
Organic Sounds Select Guitars Organic Sounds Select Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rémy64 View Post
For me with Kopp K-35 is better
Thanks Remy! I appreciate it!
__________________
Larry

Organic Sounds Select Guitars
YouTube Channel
(Previously known around here as LWSog)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Lkristians's Avatar
Lkristians Lkristians is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mostly Palm Beach, FL; sometimes CT, USA
Posts: 2,214
Default Outstanding

Really well done, Larry. Bravo!
From another Larry!
__________________
LarryK.
AGF Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2019, 10:46 AM
mawmow mawmow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Levis, Qc, Canada
Posts: 797
Default

Thanks for sharing these two great performances. Which I prefer ? I would say it relies on the context : as a solo performance, I would prefer the six strings version as I found it has more twang and versatility on the bluesy phrases. As an accompaniment, I find the twelve strings has a riched tone. Both are very valuable !
__________________
Needed some nylons, a wide range of acoustics and some weirdos to be happy...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM
Organic Sounds Select Guitars's Avatar
Organic Sounds Select Guitars Organic Sounds Select Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Really well done, Larry. Bravo!
From another Larry!
Always nice to hear from another Larry...thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Thanks for sharing these two great performances. Which I prefer ? I would say it relies on the context : as a solo performance, I would prefer the six strings version as I found it has more twang and versatility on the bluesy phrases. As an accompaniment, I find the twelve strings has a riched tone. Both are very valuable !
Thanks Mawmow! A common thread lately has been something along the lines of “why do we need more than one guitar?”. I appreciate your comment - different contexts, different sounds...makes it fun!
__________________
Larry

Organic Sounds Select Guitars
YouTube Channel
(Previously known around here as LWSog)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=