The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Again-- and I'm sure you're tired of hearing this--stellar work.
And it is fun to get those shots of your shop. Give us a 360 of your lair, perhaps, when you do the finish video? That would be most interesting.

Steve
Hey Steve ... I'll have to get a proper shop tour video together and post it ... thanks for the prompt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Haven't been on the forum for awhile Dave. Love this guitar. just repeat what everyone else said. Wood selection, design, execution, impeccable workmanship, exquisite detail and so tasty, never too much or too little. Didn't the Greeks call that "The Golden Mean"? Russ
Hey Russ ... thanks for the kind words and support over the years ... right back atcha!

Last edited by David Wren; 05-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Well, I don't think there's a career out there waiting for me in voice-overs ... I'm just as tongue tied and inarticulate as ever in this very short, veeeerry informal video about the French Polishing process on this guitar. This is obviously not an in depth how-to video, just a little peek into this part of the process. It also seems to document my re-entry into the world of face foliage!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for making this video. I thought it was very informative ... especially watching the application process. You go much faster than others I've watched ... but 50 to 60 guitars gets you lot's of experience. Practice makes perfect and time is money, eh? It looks absolutely stellar.

I hope someday I'm fortunate enough to see and hear this guitar "out and about" ... but it couldn't possibly sound as nice as my Wren could it? hahaha

John

ps - the beard looks great! From one beard to another.

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM

That's a nice video, David Wren., mostly because of what a good person you seem to be.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:40 PM

Thanks Dave.
Even with all the advice you gave me, I could never get the depth of gloss, or much gloss at all for that matter, that you achieve. Not much of a student am I ?
Like the beard, been a long time since you grew a beard I think. Russ
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopman View Post
Hi David,

Thanks for making this video. I thought it was very informative ... especially watching the application process. You go much faster than others I've watched ... but 50 to 60 guitars gets you lot's of experience. Practice makes perfect and time is money, eh? It looks absolutely stellar.

I hope someday I'm fortunate enough to see and hear this guitar "out and about" ... but it couldn't possibly sound as nice as my Wren could it? hahaha

John

ps - the beard looks great! From one beard to another.
Thanks John! Bearded men unite!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
That's a nice video, David Wren., mostly because of what a good person you seem to be.
Hey Jim ... thanks for the kind words ... right back atcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Thanks Dave.
Even with all the advice you gave me, I could never get the depth of gloss, or much gloss at all for that matter, that you achieve. Not much of a student am I ?
Like the beard, been a long time since you grew a beard I think. Russ
Hey Russ ... when I see the stuff you're making, I'm thinking you're way way beyond "student" to say the least ... and yes, I shaved my beard off when Kate was 1 year old and she just turned 40!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM

What a stunning set of Ziricote!!! Cannot wait to hear this guitar when finished. I have two Ziricote ukuleles, a redwood topped Grimes tenor and a torrefied spruce topped Mason baritone. They are both absolutely stellar in tone, so I'm convinced a small body ziricote guitar is in my future.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Well, I don't think there's a career out there waiting for me in voice-overs ... I'm just as tongue tied and inarticulate as ever in this very short, veeeerry informal video about the French Polishing process on this guitar.
Are you now? Maybe it's not up to the standards of the average Baltimore Men at Arms video but then again you're working on something that's supposed to do much of the talking (if not singing)

(It was actually the picture of the inlay being prepared that made me think of those "reforged" videos I used to watch with some appreciation for their art)

The guitar is coming out even more beautiful than I was expecting. A bit surprising therefore to see you rough out the fingerboard with a big, bad-*** jack plane right on the guitar with just a piece of cardboard to protect the instrument and polish...
Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

David...first of all, what a beautiful guitar. From one who “blows lacquer”...I’m facinated with French polish...so, thank you for the peak at your process.

Secondly...I’d rather listen to your “thinking-man’s” voiceover, than some slick-whistle silver-tongue who has no working knowledge of the material. You did a fine job...and also added heart and soul. Well done.

joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
What a stunning set of Ziricote!!! Cannot wait to hear this guitar when finished. I have two Ziricote ukuleles, a redwood topped Grimes tenor and a torrefied spruce topped Mason baritone. They are both absolutely stellar in tone, so I'm convinced a small body ziricote guitar is in my future.
Hey Eddie ... looks like you've got the Ziricote end of things covered! Thanks for following my thread ... much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Are you now? Maybe it's not up to the standards of the average Baltimore Men at Arms video but then again you're working on something that's supposed to do much of the talking (if not singing)

(It was actually the picture of the inlay being prepared that made me think of those "reforged" videos I used to watch with some appreciation for their art)

The guitar is coming out even more beautiful than I was expecting. A bit surprising therefore to see you rough out the fingerboard with a big, bad-*** jack plane right on the guitar with just a piece of cardboard to protect the instrument and polish...
Hey RJ ... you're not alone ... every time I post a photo of me roughing out the fingerboard contours with a plane I get similar shocked responses. The first time this happened, I was surprised. I was taught to do it this way and have done it for 45 years, so it just seemed natural to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
David...first of all, what a beautiful guitar. From one who “blows lacquer”...I’m facinated with French polish...so, thank you for the peak at your process.

Secondly...I’d rather listen to your “thinking-man’s” voiceover, than some slick-whistle silver-tongue who has no working knowledge of the material. You did a fine job...and also added heart and soul. Well done.

joel
Thanks Joel ... much appreciated! I wonder what the opposite of "silver-tongued" is? HA!
Old 05-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Old 05-11-2019, 11:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Thanks Joel ... much appreciated! I wonder what the opposite of "silver-tongued" is? HA![/QUOTE]

“Trustworthy-speaking normal guy”.....like most of us regular folk.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
“Trustworthy-speaking normal guy”.....like most of us regular folk.
Thanks Joel ... I aspire to being "normal" ... one day I'll get there!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop