The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Any of you get a car insurance raise?

Because of reaching the age of 72, I just received one this month, called my insurance guy and asked him why..... said that it's because of my age and the area I'm living in and Utah's growth increase.

I said for 40 years don't Californicate Utah, and now I'm a victim of the population increase from those that want what I sought in the 70's .... can't really blame them cause it's a beautiful place, but when my pocketbook gets hit I don't like it.

Enough out of me ... (rant!! over)

Lynn
Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I think they just find any reason that they can to raise it and get more money. I switched at the beginning of last year cause my auto insurance jumped up 15% for no reason at all. I called the agent and told them that was unacceptable and I switched to another company that was glad to have me for the old price. They are just ticks out to get every penny they can
Old 02-16-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

In 2015 or 16, I had accumulated over ten years no claims bonus, and my fully comp annual renewal was minimal.

Between Christmas and new year my wife and I decided to drive over to the next town, walk around the castle and browse the antique shops.

I parked my cat safely and legally in designated on road parking place and off we strolled.

When we returned I ambled to the driver's side, and was puzzled as my wife, was shouting at me from the other side and pointing.
I walked round to see that something had torn through all four panels of her side, like a knife through a cloth.

Because we couldn't identify the culprit, it was deemed my fault. My insurance has tripled pretty much every year since, so now every year I have to move insurers.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Not us in a Massachusetts. My wife is just over 70 and I’m just under 70. We insure 2 newer vehicles and our insurance is as inexpensive as it’s ever been.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:06 PM

A couple years my agent sent a notice of a 5% increase they expected. He later sent an email almost apologizing for the increase. I've been friends with my agent since I was 12 years old and I'm now 66. Grew up in a small town, we ran track together, I picked his dads strawberries.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:58 PM

Nope. Been with our insurance company for 33 years. Only made 1 claim. No bump then. My wife is 71 and I am 62.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-17-2019, 04:35 AM

Move to Michigan, the only state with "No Fault" insurance and the HIGHEST rates in the U.S.A. A catastrophic fund requiring $150/license plate for openers. Our new Governor has promised to do something about it but her transition team head is a principal in the largest "ambulance chasing law firm" in Michigan, so I'm not too optimistic!

Fog
Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 AM

My explanation from people in the industry has had a few things come up. Growth in my area is one reason cited. My sales and a claims agent said several years of increased weather and climate incidents are leading to rate increases. I we’ve not been alone seeing more hail and flooding.

On age, an insurance company attorney I know says truck accidents, and old people are up there with drunk as far as what has her in the courtroom. I haven’t looked that up but don’t have a hard time believing how a truck gone wrong or other mess ups could to that.

Unfortunately there’s shared risk but our turn could come. I’ve been lucky with driving and health.

I won’t be surprised of the obesity epidemic spreads its wings to areas such as driving.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 AM
G625 mistral-k

We were 20 year customers with Liberty Mutual for our auto & RI home until last June and had no claims in all those years. We received our auto renewal which had a forty percent plus rate increase. We called to learn why, and the explanation from our agent was that Liberty suffered an unusually high number of claims from other policy holders in Florida. She said they needed to cover the claims paid to other policy holders with a rate increase to all policy holders. We tried to negotiate, however we had no luck. I felt like the guy in their current ad campaign who wants to get away, however instead of jumping into the river, we jumped over to AMICA for both policies, with better coverage at the same rate as our old policy. Needless to say, IMO, their "Liberty Liberty Liberty" well funded advertising campaign is pure hype. My advice to the OP is to shop around.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Faithfully pay it each month and never use it.
Kinda weird.
Like my life insurance policy.
Been paying that one for almost 40 years.
Sometimes I think they won that bet...
Old 02-17-2019, 11:24 AM

My car insurance just went down a 20% but that's because I moved from the city to the country.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Do youse guys in the US not change insurers every year like you would for gas/electricity, home insurance, broadband etc?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Do youse guys in the US not change insurers every year like you would for gas/electricity, home insurance, broadband etc?
Generally, no. I’ve used the same insurance agent for over 20 years, and rely on them to review my policies periodically and advise me when I can get a better deal with another company. To the best of my recollection, I’ve only had two changes in the last 10 years or more.

As far as gas/electricity are concerned, the vast majority of us only have access to one supplier in any given location - unlike the UK. Similarly for broadband - where I live, there is a choice between cable internet or DSL - only two suppliers.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Not unless a reason exists. We've been with the same company for well over 40 years. We've gained some nice pricing discounts as a result. We shopped insurance a few years ago, even the best rates offered couldn't compete.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM

I actually don't own a car right now but my friends in California tel m things have gone crazy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic