The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats on another killer guitar Mark. Boy that came to life with the finish and I really like the sound port, between the dark binding and the white line it just looks great. You are a true master when it comes to bringing out the most in the woods you have!
Thanks Tom!

I try to find an individual theme for each guitar I build and most often it is inspired by the woods I get to work with. The varying characteristics of nature are infinite, lucky for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
You sure know how to build em'! Gorgeous guitar. I am partial to that top and rosette combo but I guess you would figure that. Beautifully done Mark!
I am really liking this style of rosette too! Not too fancy but, it allows a lot of variability to match up with different guitars.

Thanks,
Matk

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 07-25-2015, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default One little quick start

Here is a picture of the neck being set to the body. It is when two separate projects become one from here on out:

Thanks!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sneak Peek

Here is an update on the Josie small jumbo model I am getting ready to ship.
This is Western Red Cedar on BRW and is a short 24.75" scale length.
Mike Neverisky was over to play some sound clips for me and this is one of them. I have more to show other aspects of the tone of this guitar and will post those after I take the parting photos:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Pics and Clips

I shipped this guitar off to the client yesterday but had gotten some last photos and created two more youtube sound clips from when Mike was out on Sunday. Here's the final pictures:

Here are a couple more YouTube sound samples. These are unaltered recordings with no effects. Without the capo this time:

I asked Mike to play harder on this one. Western Red Cedar has a reputation for not having much headroom when played hard. I do not have that issue with my guitars when I use cedar:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Looks and sounds utterly amazing. And as for that old adage about cedar and a lack of headroom, I say "Go try a Hatcher!"

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-12-2015, 04:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Looks and sounds utterly amazing. And as for that old adage about cedar and a lack of headroom, I say "Go try a Hatcher!"
Thanks ukejon!

I think I'm starting to get the audio recording to where I want it. You would think it was easy to get an unaltered recording but, chasing away the hiss, room noise, clicks and pops, and clipping is a lot of work!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-12-2015, 04:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Preview of things to come

This week I shipped cigarfan's Black Walnut Greta to the finisher and the last of the three small jumbo BRW Josie models off to my client. That clears the deck for new and newer builds

Here is a picture of the next three up:

From left to right is a Bastogne Walnut project (probably Josie model) that will be my Sept 1st start. I'm living with it out for awhile so I can throw different woods at it and see what sticks. White Limba neck? Flamed maple binding?
African Blackwood binding? Maple neck? Bastogne neck? You get the idea. I park different woods there and see how they get along. Looks like my client will be here on Friday so we'll work it through.

In the middle is my spec ​Piña parlor model. It will have a curly redwood top with flamed Claro Walnut back and sides. Probably a Claro neck and a cut away. The spec is kind of my in betweener project. It goes together slower but that gives a lot of time for the ideas to flow.

The one on the right is a very special project which I'm planning to do a separate build thread on. It is a custom for a client with TAMCO. It's a "Tree" mahogany Penelope nylon crossover with a master grade Swiss Moon Spruce top. There are some features coming with this one that will make it very personalized for the client. I'm working to make a very artistic statement with this.

Look at that line up. Ain't I a lucky guy?

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Music soothes the soul!

I love it. Something to watch while we wait for the finisher.

Seriously though, looks like a wonderful lineup. You are a lucky guy!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM

All three look absolutely fantastic. I couldn't pick a favorite as they are all perfect in their own way. You may be lucky, but we are just as lucky to live vicariously through your builds! I am feeling for Cigarfan though with the dreaded finishing waiting period!!!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Cigarfan and TomB'sox,

That rear bench that I have them on has worked out well for me though, in a way I hadn't planned. Originally, I wanted more bench space to set up work stations. The thought was I could just work a guitar down the line to completion.
That didn't work for a variety of reasons. The bench has however, worked out great for staging and a place for glue to dry (cook, if you will). I can always see them yet everything is out of the way.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A Guitar is Nothing but a Tool.

"A guitar is nothing but a tool." I see that written pretty often and I get it. A musician uses a guitar for accompaniment to get his message/song/inspiration out. The focus is on the artist/musician and his creative expression shared with the world. A guitar needs to "sound right", play well and not get in the way. It's a practical tool for getting the job done.

While I do all I can to make a guitar "sound right" and play well, I do try to make a guitar much more than that. A tool is the starting point. When playing guitar the vast majority of players spend the vast majority playing their guitar alone. Whether they are trying to improve their technique, master that song or create their own message, it's the artist and his guitar one on one mostly. Why wouldn't you choose company that doesn't get in the way, is a pleasure to play with, and is visually stimulating?

This doesn't just go for guitars, for instance, I just bought a new pair of in ear headphones:

They sound great and are comfortable but look at them, aren't they cool?
I look at these and think "what a great color combination for a guitar!" They are bright white, tortoise shell, with little highlights of metallic gold. They have great lines to boot. See what I mean?

So what does the guy that designed them have to say? Here is a sketch from when he was designing them:

Here is a quote from him:

​"Most people will never own a Picasso. They probably won't look at an Agnes Martin daily. They might not purchase a Brancusi sculpture for the living room, or live in a Frank Lloyd Wright home. On the other hand, they most likely will wake up to look at their alarm clock each morning, drive their car to and from work, and look at their watch countless times. It is easy to underestimate the impact of interacting with these objects. They are part of our daily routines. It is all too easy to discount them as mere products" Michael DiTullo

For what it's worth, I have no relationship with Polk Audio or Michael DiTullo.

Now look that these suckers :

Thanks for getting through all of that!
Mark

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-21-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
"A guitar is nothing but a tool." I see that written pretty often and I get it. A musician uses a guitar for accompaniment to get his message/song/inspiration out. The focus is on the artist/musician and his creative expression shared with the world. A guitar needs to "sound right", play well and not get in the way. It's a practical tool for getting the job done.

While I do all I can to make a guitar "sound right" and play well, I do try to make a guitar much more than that. A tool is the starting point. When playing guitar the vast majority of players spend the vast majority playing their guitar alone. Whether they are trying to improve their technique, master that song or create their own message, it's the artist and his guitar one on one mostly. Why wouldn't you choose company that doesn't get in the way, is a pleasure to play with, and is visually stimulating?

...[snip]...
Mark; you've given us a good thought. So while I agree with all you've said, one of your sentences really applies to me: "When playing guitar the vast majority of players spend the vast majority playing their guitar alone." I do think you've left something out though, for those of us playing their guitar alone: it's for the enjoyment, satisfaction, and peace it brings us. And yes, having a guitar, like those you make, that is more than a tool adds a lot to what we experience.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Mark; you've given us a good thought. So while I agree with all you've said, one of your sentences really applies to me: "When playing guitar the vast majority of players spend the vast majority playing their guitar alone." I do think you've left something out though, for those of us playing their guitar alone: it's for the enjoyment, satisfaction, and peace it brings us. And yes, having a guitar, like those you make, that is more than a tool adds a lot to what we experience.
Thanks Chuck,

You're absolutely right, I left out the most important part!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-21-2015, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default How about another example?

How about another example? This time it will actually be a tool. This one is about the ubiquitous Xacto knife with a #11 blade. I really don't like those stupid little knives as they roll off the workbench onto your lap with their short nasty little wobbly blades. So about 15 years ago I bought a nice hardened Japanese steel knife blade blank and made my own:

I molded clay around the blade and into my own hand, then I carved that shape from a laminate of Cherry, Black Walnut, and Maple. The blade is hard, rigged and long enough so you can see what your working on:

It doesn't roll and is a pure comfort to hold:

And as I have been trying to show the effect of these life's little pleasures can influence you in unexpected ways. Like when I designed one of my most popular open headstocks making it quite distinctive and unique!

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-21-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Music soothes the soul!

That last picture is so cool!

Is that a coincidence or intentional?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop