The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 AM

Default How to repair cracked neck....

....split open behind the nut to second fret approximately.

I picked up a nice little Korean acoustic that the PO had damaged due to over-tightening the truss rod. When I got it the neck was bowed backwards and the stress had split the neck in that weak area of the center where the route for the rod runs. Slacking off the rod straightened the neck but leaves me with a crack about 4" long right down the center of the back of the neck, and it nearly slices my left thumb as I play...

What's the best way to handle this? Should I somehow try to pry it open and force some glue in there or should I just try to sand it smooth and forget about it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM

I would tighten the truss rod to open the crack and use Titebond
glue force it into the crack. Then loosen the truss rod to close the crack.
You may have to use a couple of clamps(padded with something)
to close the crack completely up.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Needs to be glued. Get some syringes at a drug store and water down slightly some titebond 2 or 3. inject deeply until you see it coming out the crack. then you know you got it filled. might have to inject glue into several locations to ensure full interior coverage. possible complication is if this brings glue into the truss rod channel. you'd have to move the rod a few times every 10 or 15 min for about a couple hours only once glue has set about 45 min after glueing. use clamps. good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair