The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Ukulele tuners on my guitar?

One of the tuner buttons broke off my guitar (The Loar LO-16), so I started to google for a replacement, and discovered that they're ukulele tuners!

At least that's what they look like to me, from researching--maybe someone can confirm from my attached, slightly-crappy photo?

Here's what they look mostly like, to me: Grover 9NB Sta-Tite Ukulele Tuners - Nickel w/Black Buttons. It definitely has the word "Grover" on my tuners.

You can see the outline of the two original tuner plates (I got this guitar used from GC a few years ago).

I wonder why someone would break up two sets of ukulele tuners to go on a guitar? Maybe they just happened to have them lying around.

I'm surprised they've held up as well as they have; I've been very happy with tuning stability, and reasonably happy with ease of use (they are a little bit stiff).

So if I'm right then I guess I can just buy a set at the Sweetwater link above (only $13.99) and use one of the buttons that comes with them (they just slide off and on with a bit of force).

I did look for a direct replacement for just the buttons but I'm not sure what I found was the right thing, so I would probably just go for the replacement "set" (of four!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuners_b.jpg (45.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:50 PM

I bought a few sets of ukulele tuners to use on some small nylon guitars. Better balance with the lower weight.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:57 PM

I've bought 6 banjo tuners from StewMac. You may have to call/message them for how to order them. Shipping cost may force you to another source.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...ing-posts.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair