The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Bridge pin size?

I would like to replace the plastic pins, bridge, and nut on my Yamaha DW7. I've been looking into bone pins but don't know what size I need. Does anyone out there know what size pins Yamaha uses on the DWs?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Greetings from Boston to you up in downeast Maine.

I don't know the answer to your pin question, but you might check either with the company or discuss it with Bob Colossi - one of our AGF sponsors. He may ask you to send him a pin that he could use to match a set for you.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Bob's work is unparalleled, and perhaps just as important, he's an avid Red Sox fan. Can't do better than that.

Quote:
I would like to replace the plastic pins, bridge, and nut
I think exchanging the plastic pins for bone is a fine idea. As for the other two, I assume you mean the "saddle" and not the bridge? Unless of course the bridge is damaged (if it's just lifting, it can be removed and reglued)? Bob also deals in bone saddles and can help you on that score as well.

As for the nut, unless it's worn or damaged, I'd leave it alone. Nuts are mainly string guides and don't really influence a guitar's tone (at least not enough for me to hear!), and they can be tricky to do yourself without know how, the right tools, and experience - or fairly costly if a tech does it, upwards of $80-90.

(photo source: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...t/newnut1.html)

In the case of nuts, I strongly believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Default bridge pin size

Yup!! I did mean saddle. Your nut recommendation simplifies the job quite a bit. I can leave the nut. I am a Red Sox fan if they're winning. If not, I don't really follow the sport. Same thing with the Patriots. I do follow high school basketball.

Dale

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair