The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Default Thin hairline crack from bridge to side along grain

I have a couple questions. The guitar will go to the luthier next week for an inspection and possible repair but he is saying could be about 100 bucks, maybe less, no cosmetic work, just structural work. He needs to see it.

Small ding on the soundboard, hairline visible crack from bridge to the side of guitar, all the way along the length. I believe was caused by a slight hit to it against a chair, there is a ding spot along it. So I dont think it was humidity. Has been in case with oasis and sponge in baggie as well.

Question One: Does it have to be repaired at all? If the tech sees that the innards look okay, should I still go ahead with the repair? Or can i just let the crack be, given that it is not full thickness and has not affected the braces? Does it get worse over time, can it compromise structure?

Question Two; I know this is subjective, but does a crack alter the tone of the guitar?

Thanks in advance. I love to read this forum and usually just lurk on the build repair, but now seeking advice.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

It's best to get a crack repaired. Keeps further damage from occurring. It also keeps it from getting worse.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks, will do.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 AM

Click on my name and search my posts for a thread on a guitar I received for UPS with a cracked top that happened in shipping it. The comments say a lot about playing with a crack being no big deal. There is a link I posted to instructions for do it yourself crack repair I followed with excellent results. Took all of 20 minutes to accomplish. In fact, from now on I will take advantage of the lower cost on eBay of buying guitars with cracked tops after this experience.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Dave I don't think anyone was saying that playing with a crack is no big deal but rather playing with a repaired crack is no big deal. Unless I miss read people.

Anyway, I have repaired cracked guitars for people who played them for years and years. It may very well be no big deal but once it gets bigger it is. And closing it off now is better than waiting. The longer you wait then the more junk will work itself into the crack too making it more difficult to repair correctly.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

The problem with a crack is that it eventually gets dirt in it, and then it is impossible to repair cleanly. No good way to clean out a dirty crack. It will also open and close with the humidity of the instrument, so if you are playing in a dry room, even though you keep the guitar humidified, it will open up pretty quickly as it dries out. Yes, it will close when humidified, but when it's open is when it gets dirty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair