The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Second microphone suggestions H4n Pro

I have been recording my songs with a Zoom H4n Pro, using the attached microphones. I usually record the guitar, then voice, second guitar, vocal harmony, whatever else on separate tracks in MTR mode. Can someone recommend a second microphone for 4 channel recording? It would be nice to record two tracks at once and mix them separately (Audacity). I don't want to spend a lot of $$ here, just a good, basic mic in addition to the ones already there. Also any advice for actually doing this. I am of little brain when it comes to this stuff. Thank you.
-BK in BWA
Old 05-17-2020, 12:59 PM

You can plug any mic(s) into the XLR inputs at the base of the Zoom H4n Pro (although I'm not sure that a condenser mic would work because it requires phantom power). I've used a Sennheiser e935 (cardiod mic) successfully (the same mic that I use for vocals when performing).
Old 05-17-2020, 04:17 PM

You could use a variety of inexpensive condenser mics to improve over the capsules built in to the H4n. One of my personal favorites is the AKG P170. You'll need two for stereo recording, though.

Rode makes a nice stereo condenser mic if you need that capability without setting up 2 separate mics on a stereo bar.

The H4n has selectable phantom power of 24vdc or 48 vdc on the two external mic inputs, so you can use anything you want.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I do this exact thing with an Audio Technica 2035. I use the H4N Pro internal mics on my guitar and the 2035 for simultaneous vocals. There is some bleed for sure but I'm more trying to capture a performance than a pristine track (which is hopeless in my noisy house and with my skill level).
Old 05-18-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the AT2035. I used two to record this tune. I got a more mellow raw recording with the AT2035 mics. I had experimented using two small condensers, one small condenser and a large and finally found the tone I wanted with the two AT2035 mics.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD