The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Joel Stehr's guitars are what got me in trouble.

I started out with a used one from Artisan Guitars, but developed a friendly relationship with Joel during my back and forth with Artisan (they suggested I reach out to Joel and ask my questions). Since it was an earlier build (#24, I believe), Joel praised that particular guitar, but also convinced me that his building chops had improved. After Joel's high pressure sales pitch, I signed up for a commission. During the wait, I bought another used Stehr (#50). My plan was to sell the used ones, but that hasn't happened yet. My commissioned piece is an 8 string, so it means that one of my aforementioned 6 strings might be safe. Since then, I commissioned a baritone (Harley) as well. Besides Joel being a great person and a friend, for me, his guitars feel like home!
Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM

My guitars have tended to come in pairs, or more. I guess it's largely a desire to repeat the delight of it the first time round!

In terms of guitars where I have more than one from the same builder, see my sig (with a pair of Kostals, Eastmans and several Lowdens); beyond that, I've owned 4 Larrivees (1 left), 2 McIlroy A25cs (now only 1 left), and three other Lowdens I've since moved on.

As a matter of logic, if I'm going to insist of having this many guitars (!), it'd probably make more sense for me to have a more diversified collection, with a broader range of builders represented. But I'm not great at parting with guitars, and I'm not starting again from scratch. On the contrary, whilst I have a second Sands on order, I'd be lying if the idea of a third (or more!) wasn't tempting! As mentioned by the OP, it's not just the relatively sure thing of getting a guitar from a builder you know who's work you like, it's about the whole experience of commissioning - and that's been an absolute delight with Tom!
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 05-14-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Tell me about your Walkers! I also have 2.
John, I have 2002 000-12 Fret coco/sitka and 2016 SJ Master Model braz/euro. Every now and then I think about selling one and then I play it and quickly come to my senses(thank God). How about you?

Last edited by Rwpierce; 05-15-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I own 2 guitars from Kathy Wingert - a grand concert and a 00 and 2 by Sparky Kramer - one rosewood Prairie Grass and one mahogany.
One each were custom built. Both great guitars and great experiences.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop