The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Nylon strung 'crossover' guitars.

I've been wanting to play a nylon strung guitar for as long as I can remember. I even put ball ended nylon strings on my acoustic guitar to see how it played. Truss rod needed adjusting but it played ok...but it was too quiet!

I've got small hands/short fingers. Every classical guitar I've tried the fretboard was too wide for comfort. I'm after a nylon guitar with a shorter scale length and narrower fretboard.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Cordoba makes a couple of "crossover" models with slightly radiused fretboards and I believe narrower nuts. I bought a Cordoba C10 Crossover a little over a year ago. I'm not sure they still make that model, but I'm sure you can still find them around.

They apparently do still make them:

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-crossover/
Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Depending upon how much you want to spend, the Martin 000c is a really nice sounding and playing crossover. Decent electronics too if the volume thing is an issue for you. It has a nice thin neck with 1 7/8" nut width. Much easier for someone who's used to a steel string to play. But remember, any crossover will be softer and less crisp than your steel string. The Cordoba models are quite nice for the money, too.

Gene
Old 04-24-2020, 04:13 PM

I bought the Yamaha NTX1200R. I did not buy it for unplugged play. Being a thin bodied guitar the unplugged sound is a bit anemic. I bought it for its electronics capability, which it excels at. Then, I gifted it to my son who needed a starter guitar to learn on and I have to admit it fills that role well. I'll also say that I bumped out the width at the nut a couple millimeters by buying a new nut and cutting it with wider spacing. The fret board has ample room for that without crowding the edges with the E strings.

Last edited by Pitar; 04-24-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrcat View Post
Cordoba makes a couple of "crossover" models with slightly radiused fretboards and I believe narrower nuts. I bought a Cordoba C10 Crossover a little over a year ago. I'm not sure they still make that model, but I'm sure you can still find them around.

They apparently do still make them:

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-crossover/

I just purchased a Córdoba C10 Crossover Spruce top. It is my first Classical guitar. Beautiful guitar with great tone. It comes with high tension strings and I just ordered a mid-tension set. It is one of the few classical guitars including a truss rod. I’m letting it settle in and have added back bow to lower the action. Coming from 1 3/4 nuts the neck is wide but I was able to adjust to it without a problem.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-24-2020, 05:07 PM

The “standard” classical neck width at the nut seems to be 52mm.

The Córdoba GK Studio series is considered Flamenca, and has a 50mm neck width at the nut.

The Córdoba Fusion series is considered a crossover and has a 48mm neck width at the nut (1 7/8in)

I have a Classical as well as both a GK Studio, and a Fusion. Both the GK and the Fusion are easier for me to play than the Classical, and both come in a variety of wood combinations.

I think you can’t go wrong with either, but would recommend playing them first. Pretty difficult given the pandemic, but neck feel is a very personal preference, and I’ve made my share of mistakes buying site-unseen.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 04-24-2020, 05:31 PM

Several years ago, when looking for a nylon string guitar, I almost bought a Cordoba crossover C9 or C10. They are well regarded by those on this forum who have them. Instead, I bought a Pono nylon stringed crossover while they were still available, and a I am very happy with it.

I believe the Cordoba crossovers have a 1 7/8 inch, like the Pono. Not only are the necks slightly narrower than traditional classical guitars, but they are also slightly thinner and radiused. Mine feels different than my steel stringed guitars, but also much different from those traditional classical guitars I have sampled.

Unfortunately, stores like Guitar Center have a very small sampling of classical guitars, and I've never seen a Cordoba classical or crossover on display in their acoustic room to sample.

Unless you can find someone who has a crossover to try, you may have to bite the bullet and buy sight unseen. If so, look for return policy you can live with.

There are many on this forum who are very particular concerning the specific width of a guitars nut, or its string spacing. If you fall into that group (I don't), a nylon stringed instrument, crossover or traditional classical, may not be for you.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 04-24-2020, 06:15 PM

Nylon guitars are very easy to play relative to steel. Are you sure you need a short scale?

As much as I praise Cordoba, I had a small guitar from them long ago, the Cadette I think it was - ~24 in scale. Not good.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Cervantes Crossover's have a very comfortable neck size for smaller hands. They are very well constructed and have excellent volume.
Good luck!
Old 04-24-2020, 06:38 PM

My Cordoba Fusion 14 is a great crossover nylon string guitar. I believe they make (or made) a Fusion 12 which joins at the 12th fret if that is easier for you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-24-2020, 07:17 PM

If I remember right the Fender CN-140sce has a narrow neck. It is (or maybe was) from their nylon thin-line series.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 PM

Back in the '60's, Gibson made a nice little crossover guitar called, I think, an F-25. It was based on the B-25 body but with a slightly wider heck, but very thin front to back. A college buddy had one that seemed to have decent volume with the nylon strings.

I've occasionally seen them for sale in Vintage Guitar magazine adds. That would or the aforementioned Martin would be my first choice if I could locate and afford one.

I just did a quick search and found a couple of them recently sold for around $1000. It's actually a Gibson F-25 "Folksinger."

I'd probably have to name mine something else if I had one . . . .

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic

Last edited by McCawber; 04-24-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:31 PM

If interested, here is a video featuring my Córdoba Fusion. And as I mentioned earlier, Cordobas are available in a variety of wood combos. This one is Spruce top, and Rosewood back/sides.

https://youtu.be/vJWaMbCDj6c

Gary
Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 PM

I have to agree with the many Cordoba recommendations. I have played a few and like them for their playability and affordability. If you look at their website you’ll probably find a model that will suit you.
If your budget allows it, I can also recommend the Lowden Jazz models. My S25J is the most comfortable, easiest-playing guitar I own.
Christian

Last edited by birkenweg42; 04-24-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:32 PM

I like my Cordoba. It's easy to play, and sounds robust. The nut width is quite manageable for a steel string player.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical